Quantcast

Sept 2 and 4 - National Buy Gas Day

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I drive an SUV... if I don't get gas AT LEAST every other day I'm in trouble. I mean geesh - it's 10 miles one way to work for me... then if i have to pickup the kids from daycare...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Dayum you people drive a lot. Unless I am travelling far for races or to see family I can get by with a fresh tank every two weeks or so. Of course I have 9 hours worth of driving planned this weekend:dead:

Jeff 151

Monkey
Sep 25, 2004
DeezBay, Cali
Don't confuse the idea of not buying gas on one day with a serious effort to affect ANYTHING. The oil-choked auto culture in the US has me so frustrated that the idea of a one day gas boycott seemed cool, if only symbolic. I expected a little more relating from a cycling site.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Jeff 151 said:
Don't confuse the idea of not buying gas on one day with a serious effort to affect ANYTHING.
Ummmm.......... duh. :rolleyes:
The oil-choked auto culture in the US has me so frustrated that the idea of a one day gas boycott seemed cool, if only symbolic.
Damn hippy. :mad:
I expected a little more relating from a cycling site.
Y'ain't been 'round these parts long, have ya? :rolleyes:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Jeff 151 said:
...I expected a little more relating from a cycling site.
such as people actually suggesting real boycott ideas, like riding to work not buying gas at all? if more people ride to work, then less gas is purchased, which leads to lower prices, and especially more money saved by the people who didn't use gas but rode instead.

:thumb:

not buying gas on a certain day is dumb. not buying gas (or a whole lot less) for a month is a lot more likely to get a result.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
dante said:
such as people actually suggesting real boycott ideas, like riding to work not buying gas at all? if more people ride to work, then less gas is purchased, which leads to lower prices, and especially more money saved by the people who didn't use gas but rode instead.

:thumb:

not buying gas on a certain day is dumb. not buying gas (or a whole lot less) for a month is a lot more likely to get a result.
:stupid:

Vote with your pocketbook and your bike. :thumb:

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
narlus said:
ride yr new cuervo around.
My El Cuerevo is somewhere in the Huricane :nope:

My sister is driving it to my school for me so I wouldn't have to pay for shipping. From Amarillo, TX to Northampton, Mass, she cought a bit of the storm, and I hope it doesn't hurt my baby.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Does anyone own an H2 or some sort of large gas guzziling car/truck on here. I would like to know what your bill is after a full refill.

I bought gas today too for $2.99. It only costed me $37.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
rpk1988 said:
Does anyone own an H2 or some sort of large gas guzziling car/truck on here. I would like to know what your bill is after a full refill.

We have 2 vehicals: A VW tdi that gets 50mpg, and a 8000# f350 crew cab that gets about 18mpg. I only drive the truck when I need a truck.
It costs over $100 to fill my ford. At least it holds 6 people.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
priceseliger14 said:
My El Cuerevo is somewhere in the Huricane :nope:

My sister is driving it to my school for me so I wouldn't have to pay for shipping. From Amarillo, TX to Northampton, Mass, she cought a bit of the storm, and I hope it doesn't hurt my baby.
northampton? what prep school are you going to? northfield? does yr sister go to smith or mount holyoke?

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
rpk1988 said:

I have a jeep grand cherokee and it cost me about 47 bucks on a bone dry tank at 2.99...:dead: but a tank usually lasts me about 10 days and my commute is about 36 miles per day.

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
rpk1988 said:

Yea, I have a Dodge 2500 diesel, and it will cost me around $100 to fill it up. It does however get 20mpg when not towing. Yes, it does sit at home most of the time unless we're towing the trailer somewhere.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Doesn't everyone listen to Bush? During his press conference today, he said "Only get gas if you need it." WTF is that supposed to mean? I don't know about you, but I'm going to spend $3.00 on a gallon of gas unless I really, really need it. I hope his plan is better than just that...

Shmoe

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Calgary, Canada eh?
Spend 25 Canadian today. Should last me a few weeks.

Drive an efficient car, dont use AC (roll down your windows) only drive when you have too, and dont floor it unless neccesary.

Really, gas is cheap compared to what I know alot of you spend on vehicles/insurance/bikes. Gas isn't ever going to be cheap again. Some lately at the pump with an H2 with huge spinners was complaining about gas prices. Give me a break.. I gladly let her know that the amount her wheels cost could have bought my car and gas for 2 years. haha.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Shmoe said:
Spend 25 Canadian today. Should last me a few weeks.

Drive an efficient car, dont use AC (roll down your windows) only drive when you have too, and dont floor it unless neccesary.

Really, gas is cheap compared to what I know alot of you spend on vehicles/insurance/bikes. Gas isn't ever going to be cheap again. Some lately at the pump with an H2 with huge spinners was complaining about gas prices. Give me a break.. I gladly let her know that the amount her wheels cost could have bought my car and gas for 2 years. haha.
According to Mythbusters, your car will use more gas with the windows down. Apparently, when driving on the freeway, the drag from the windows being down will use more gas than running the AC. You don't have to suffer... :thumb: