Quantcast

Serious Bacon Essential Cooking Thread

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
Okay, Here's the thing:

I've cooked several hundred kilos of bacon, Pig, Boar and Hog. And some versions that don't translate into English.

What I want to see here [in Foodmonkey Heaven] is a thread where we explore the type, the COOKING METHOD, and the result. Photos not necessary, but REALLY F'N HELPFUL!

Why?

I get soooo many different results that I'm still searching for a reliable, infallible method.

My method - low heat [4 on a 1-9 electrice stove top] in a basic cast iron pan.

I drain it on a stale slice of bread when I have it [as opposed to using up towels- paper or otherwise] - something I learned in Paris.

I like it semi-crisp but not crunchy. What do you like? let's hear it!

(this was an experiment - low temp bbq - i.e. smoking - boar bacon - ended up using it as a wrapping for scallops that finished over open flame)

Last edited:

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I did a bacon of the month club a while back. I can tell you that the "boar" bacon was best when grilled. The quick heat kept it from drying out too much. Plus all fat drains off by itself. It also enhances the smokey flavor.

Most other "domestic pig" bacon I agree with your assessment. Best is like BBQ, but on the stove/pan, Slow and Low. More carmelization w/o turning it to a crisp.

So you should also be asking people to tell you HOW they like their bacon. Some like it super soft and pliable, some like it medium, some like it to be like a little pig-crisp.

Me, I'm more of a medium medium-rare person. Not too much crisp, plenty of un-rendered fat. You shouldn't be able to fold it in half, but it should be somewhat pliable.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
I did a bacon of the month club a while back. I can tell you that the "boar" bacon was best when grilled. The quick heat kept it from drying out too much. Plus all fat drains off by itself. It also enhances the smokey flavor.

Most other "domestic pig" bacon I agree with your assessment. Best is like BBQ, but on the stove/pan, Slow and Low. More carmelization w/o turning it to a crisp.

So you should also be asking people to tell you HOW they like their bacon. Some like it super soft and pliable, some like it medium, some like it to be like a little pig-crisp.

Me, I'm more of a medium medium-rare person. Not too much crisp, plenty of un-rendered fat. You shouldn't be able to fold it in half, but it should be somewhat pliable.
Agreed on Boar [added such in a pic above].

Also agreed in knowing what people like and why. My mother likes it crisp, I like it a few notches back from that, and I've had Yorkshire soft and didn't hate it. But it's an acquired taste.

Crisping it for salads, I buy UNCUT and slice it really thick, ROAST it slow, and then chop/crumble it up. I do the same with duck fat, btw - from the duck - not the fat you can buy separately [as that fat is already rendered and will just melt away]

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Agreed on Boar [added such in a pic above].

Also agreed in knowing what people like and why. My mother likes it crisp, I like it a few notches back from that, and I've had Yorkshire soft and didn't hate it. But it's an acquired taste.

Crisping it for salads, I buy UNCUT and slice it really thick, ROAST it slow, and then chop/crumble it up. I do the same with duck fat, btw - from the duck - not the fat you can buy separately [as that fat is already rendered and will just melt away]
You know what? After reading your post above I take back what I said about how I like it. I do like a bit of crisp, just not completely crisp. There has to be a bit of browning to it, but still some fat as well. Certainly not like your mom likes it... Where it crumbles to dust if you want. I like it with some crisp, but also so you would almost have to tear it in half, not "snap" it in half.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
You know what? After reading your post above I take back what I said about how I like it. I do like a bit of crisp, just not completely crisp. There has to be a bit of browning to it, but still some fat as well. Certainly not like your mom likes it... Where it crumbles to dust if you want. I like it with some crisp, but also so you would almost have to tear it in half, not "snap" it in half.
That's pretty close to the Paris version - fully cooked, a bit of 'tear to the teeth' a tiny bit of fat that can still melt a little. I forget their name for it. It works for me. I have to get there more reliably.

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Sounds like they know their bikes and their Bacon. Add in some beer and you have the new RM ad. Bikes beer and Bacon for the win!!

Though I'm more partial to belgain beer than French.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
Oh, and if you're cooking a Meatloaf of any kind, a few strips of bacon on the BOTTOM as a liner will make it much easier [and tastier] to keep it from sticking to the pan.

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
They had a full Meatoaf guide in a recent um... Food and wine, Saveur, or one of those mags. That was one of the things that they reccomended. Maybe not on the bottom, but certainly draped over the whole meatloaf. Adds that little extra fat you need to keep things nice and tender.

I made one that turned out quite well. It was ground Bison, veal and pork with tarragon, fennel (seeds and the bulb), sauted maui sweet onions and bacon on top (as well as some crumbled inside the loaf). Glaze was made from sheri, ketchup, brown sugar and more ground fennel seeds.

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
C'mon guys!!! This is the Beer Bikes and BACON site and this thread is a 2 person converaation betweemyself and nobody (so I guess I'm talking to myself actually since I'm talking to nobody). ;)

Chime in monkeys!!

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
Semi-crisp bacon is also what I like best. Ideally there are tasty crisp parts (edges) but the whole thing isn't half-carbonized and ready to shatter. Also always seems to taste best when someone else cooks it.

The Aussie idea of bacon seems like a slightly different cut with more meat and less fat. Not quite the same, but not too bad. Just chopped some up and fried it to semi-crispyness for a tasty bacon and mushroom risotto dinner. I have encountered issues with the small pieces of bacon rocketing out of the pan at eye-threatening speeds when they start to get crisp though.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
They had a full Meatoaf guide in a recent um... Food and wine, Saveur, or one of those mags. That was one of the things that they reccomended. Maybe not on the bottom, but certainly draped over the whole meatloaf. Adds that little extra fat you need to keep things nice and tender.

I made one that turned out quite well. It was ground Bison, veal and pork with tarragon, fennel (seeds and the bulb), sauted maui sweet onions and bacon on top (as well as some crumbled inside the loaf). Glaze was made from sheri, ketchup, brown sugar and more ground fennel seeds.
Well, i loves me a good meatloaf, but the bacon on TOP is called 'barding' and it makes perfect sense in lots of cases. The bacon on the BOTTOM isn't 'instead of' but rather a tasty alternative to other non-stick options.

It's more bacon. And that's a good thing.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i drain and save any resulting fat from the bacon cooking process for use in the cooking of other non bacon foods.

the other week i made biscuits with bacon fat.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
buy a bacon smasher. I had a glass/pyrex one that rocked. I cooked my bacon in a pan, with the smasher.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Interesting, the best way for cooking bacon was on the grill, wrapped in tin foil and with some sliced onions in the package too. ~45min and the onions are soft and delicious, and the bacon is cooked but still nice and chewy. Then again, I like "rare" bacon, but that might just be me.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
In the method I was describing, it was more for the bulk needed by other recipes. Other methods for other results are, of course, equally valid.

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I like to cook stuff in it's drippings!
:thumb:
That reminds me of something I used to do when I was a little less "healthy".
Drain the fat for later use, then cut a hole in a piece of bread, toss it in and cook one side. When you flip it, crack an egg into the hole in the center.

Mmm... Bacon egg and toast goodness!!

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
That reminds me of something I used to do when I was a little less "healthy".
Drain the fat for later use, then cut a hole in a piece of bread, toss it in and cook one side. When you flip it, crack an egg into the hole in the center.

Mmm... Bacon egg and toast goodness!!
Ever try 'Bubble and Squeek?'

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Ever try 'Bubble and Squeek?'
:confused:

Oh... just looked it up. Actually, I sort of HAVE tried it. I've often mixed leftover veggies with mashed potatoes.

I picked it up from a Lidia Bastianich dish where she takes boiled potatoes and mixes them with greenbeans and then does a rough mash in the pan on the potatoes, then lets it brown a bit.

Oh, and somewhat off topic, I introduced my kid (13mo old) to Sashimi yesterday. I had some nice salmon (sashimi grade from a LARGE japanese market near work) last night. I mixed it with some brown rice, and grilled porchini mushrooms and grilled maui onions leftover from the night before. Made my own teriaki and mixed it all up. he was loving it. Oh, and as a side note, grilled mushrooms and raw fish are an AWESOME combo. They have a very similar texture.

Tonight will be the same thing as above but with some perppery flank steak. Trying to also give my kid some spicy foods at an early age so he doesn't end up a WUSS like my mom, sister and her two girls.

Personally, I'll eat ANYTHING except cottage cheese. No way I want to raise one of those "picky eater" types.

Last edited:

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
:confused:

Oh... just looked it up. Actually, I sort of HAVE tried it. I've often mixed leftover veggies with mashed potatoes.

I picked it up from a Lidia Bastianich dish where she takes boiled potatoes and mixes them with greenbeans and then does a rough mash in the pan on the potatoes, then lets it brown a bit.

Oh, and somewhat off topic, I introduced my kid (13mo old) to Sashimi yesterday. I had some nice salmon (sashimi grade from a LARGE japanese market near work) last night. I mixed it with some brown rice, and grilled porchini mushrooms and grilled maui onions leftover from the night before. Made my own teriaki and mixed it all up. he was loving it. Oh, and as a side note, grilled mushrooms and raw fish are an AWESOME combo. They have a very similar texture.

Tonight will be the same thing as above but with some perppery flank steak. Trying to also give my kid some spicy foods at an early age so he doesn't end up a WUSS like my mom, sister and her two girls.

Personally, I'll eat ANYTHING except cottage cheese. No way I want to raise one of those "picky eater" types.
This your first bebe? If so, I've observed something over the years - when the taste buds are brand new and just beginning to wake up, the kid is keen on anything strong - i have a story of my ex-niece at 16mos crawling up onto the coffee table and stealing all the olives, one by one, out of 4 mostly finished martini glasses. Her sister, about 4 at the time, would only eat basic pasta with processed cheese sauce [KD style muck].

Since then, I've observed this dozens of times. A child health researcher [sounds horrifying, imho] I had drinks with a few times, told me something about when the tastebuds 'become adolescent' they are VERY sensitive, and bland flavors are better loved than strong. About age 3 on average. Researcher also pointed out how small children LOVE routine and not a lot of change [witness seeing the same dvd 93 times in a row, or a same bed-time story] - cuz it makes them feel secure.

When you consider that small children are powerless, and sort of know it, 'sameness' is 'safe'... so...

Consider something that's not too zesty and relatively easy to produce as the not too distant future.

Wierdly, between the ages of 5-8 i loved celery stalks with, not cheez whiz, but peanut butter down the slot. Over and over. God help me.

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
This your first bebe? If so, I've observed something over the years - when the taste buds are brand new and just beginning to wake up, the kid is keen on anything strong - i have a story of my ex-niece at 16mos crawling up onto the coffee table and stealing all the olives, one by one, out of 4 mostly finished martini glasses. Her sister, about 4 at the time, would only eat basic pasta with processed cheese sauce [KD style muck].

Since then, I've observed this dozens of times. A child health researcher [sounds horrifying, imho] I had drinks with a few times, told me something about when the tastebuds 'become adolescent' they are VERY sensitive, and bland flavors are better loved than strong. About age 3 on average. Researcher also pointed out how small children LOVE routine and not a lot of change [witness seeing the same dvd 93 times in a row, or a same bed-time story] - cuz it makes them feel secure.

When you consider that small children are powerless, and sort of know it, 'sameness' is 'safe'... so...

Consider something that's not too zesty and relatively easy to produce as the not too distant future.

Wierdly, between the ages of 5-8 i loved celery stalks with, not cheez whiz, but peanut butter down the slot. Over and over. God help me.
So maybe his tastes will change. I'm not making things FIREY hot. Just a bit of spice to it. I'm also NOT going to be one of those parents that makes a separate meal for my kids and then one for the adults. Eat it or go hungry. :shocked:

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
Salt and vinegar seem to be the big ones. Hence the martini olives with garlic stuffing being the perfect snack that got a rugrat to climb up a coffee table. One of those big ones.

There's a balance for adults and kids. I think the best I ever saw was in Italy - it's worth investigating. I know if I'd had kids, I sure would have.

Mushroom garlic cream sauce on gnocchi... kids eat that stuff over there.

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Salt and vinegar seem to be the big ones. Hence the martini olives with garlic stuffing being the perfect snack that got a rugrat to climb up a coffee table. One of those big ones.

There's a balance for adults and kids. I think the best I ever saw was in Italy - it's worth investigating. I know if I'd had kids, I sure would have.

Mushroom garlic cream sauce on gnocchi... kids eat that stuff over there.
My kid gives me the pouty face on vinegar items. Like the buffalo Chicken (and bacon) pasta salad I made last week.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Uncured Bacon crisp. I make it pliable only for whistle pigs. Whistle pigs are Sahlens white hot (Veal dog), Bacon, shredded yellow onion, and Cuba (Schlossenberg) cheddar shredded and Webers Hot Horseradish Mustard on a Hard roll bacon greased and grilled sweet corn relish if I can get it......

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Random bacon thoughts:

Cooking bacon in the oven is a great way to make bacon for a crowd.

Starting with a cold oven or pan is the way to go. My understanding is that it starts the fat rendering a little earlier, so more fat renders before the bacon starts to brown or burn. (I think it's because fat melts at lower temps than meat cooks.)

Watch the heat and don't rush it. If you need to drain the fat during cooking because it's smoking or little bits of stuff in the pan are burning, it's probably too hot.

Check out other cured pork products like guanciale, pancetta, etc.

(Guanciale is essential for a proper, traditional carbonara. I'm not saying variations aren't ok, but regular smoked bacon with cream sauce? Not really a true carbonara.)

A sandwich with bacon, banana, honey, and peanut or almond butter is some seriously awesome grub to eat before (and/or during) a ride. Elvis was on to something with that one.

Risotto with bacon, wild mushrooms, fresh corn, and lobster or crab = Winning!

Ok, hungry now. :thumb:

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
Random bacon thoughts:

Cooking bacon in the oven is a great way to make bacon for a crowd.

Starting with a cold oven or pan is the way to go. My understanding is that it starts the fat rendering a little earlier, so more fat renders before the bacon starts to brown or burn. (I think it's because fat melts at lower temps than meat cooks.)

Watch the heat and don't rush it. If you need to drain the fat during cooking because it's smoking or little bits of stuff in the pan are burning, it's probably too hot.

Check out other cured pork products like guanciale, pancetta, etc.

(Guanciale is essential for a proper, traditional carbonara. I'm not saying variations aren't ok, but regular smoked bacon with cream sauce? Not really a true carbonara.)

A sandwich with bacon, banana, honey, and peanut or almond butter is some seriously awesome grub to eat before (and/or during) a ride. Elvis was on to something with that one.

Risotto with bacon, wild mushrooms, fresh corn, and lobster or crab = Winning!

Ok, hungry now. :thumb:
BRAVO! [can't remember how to give rep, but i would if i could!]