Quantcast

Servicing 2005 Boxxer Team question

DS Dom

Monkey
Nov 14, 2001
Denver, Co
I need to rebuild my 05 boxxer before the weekend. For the longest time SRAM's website did not have the 05 boxxer service guide listed, and now the 05 service guide is listed as the same as 2004 (despite the 1" change in travel) Does anyone know if the 190cc measurment is actually correct for the 8" 2005 boxxers?

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
hey thanks for the vote of confidence guys but ill have to disappoint this time as i actually have no bearing on the amount of oil you have to put in those boxxers, we normally just go with the oil height, its not a bad idea actually because in the case of an impromptu repair, its more likely youll find a measuring tape or ruler than a graduated oil container.

for racing application you could start with a 150mm (6") of distance from the top of the stanchion to the oil, this is with the fork bottomed out and with the springs and spacers removed. remember there is one spacer under the spring too.

then you can add or subtract (cant remove that much oil or the rebound valve will not have any oil at the top of the stroke) if you want more or less bottoming resistance.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Acadian said:
8” HC2 (2005) Team & World Cup
93mm Oil Height Rebound (2.5 or 5 wt)
115mm Oil Height Compression (10 wt)

hey i didnt know about that figure, thats great to know because it reflects the difference in volume displaced by the compression and rebound piston (comp piston being a lot wider)

a setup like that has a good amount of ramp up at the end.

my friend the mechanic-engineer keeps preaching about the 2,5wt oil in the rebound because he thinks it makes for a higher threshold of shaft velocity before any spiking.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
vitox said:
hey i didnt know about that figure, thats great to know because it reflects the difference in volume displaced by the compression and rebound piston (comp piston being a lot wider)

a setup like that has a good amount of ramp up at the end.

my friend the mechanic-engineer keeps preaching about the 2,5wt oil in the rebound because he thinks it makes for a higher threshold of shaft velocity before any spiking.
yeah I've been running 2.5wt oil in my rebound damper for the past few years now...