Quantcast

>^< Set your dray >^<

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
The flotillas of the dead sailed around the world on underwater rivers.

Very nearly nobody knew about them. But the theory is easy to understand.

It runs: the sea is, after all, in many respects only a wetter form of air. And it is known that air is denser the lower you go and lighter the higher you fly. As a storm-tossed ship founders and sinks, therefore, it must reach a depth where the water below it is just viscous enough to stop its fall.

In short, it stops sinking and ends up floating on an underwater surface, beyond the reach of the storms but far above the ocean floor.

It’s calm there. Dead calm.

Some stricken ships have rigging; some even have sails. Many still have crew, tangled in the rigging or lashed to the wheel.

But the voyages still continue, aimlessly, with no harbour in sight, because there are currents under the ocean and so the dead ships with their skeleton crews sail on around the world, over sunken cities and between drowned mountains, until rot and shipworms eat them away and they disintegrate. Sometimes an anchor drops, all the way to the dark, cold calmness of the abyssal plain, and disturbs the stillness of centuries by throwing up a cloud of silt.

One nearly hit Anghammarad, where he sat watching the ships drift by, far overhead.

He remembered it, because it was the only really interesting thing to happen for nine thousand years.

The flotillas of the dead sailed around the world on underwater rivers.

Very nearly nobody knew about them. But the theory is easy to understand.

It runs: the sea is, after all, in many respects only a wetter form of air. And it is known that air is denser the lower you go and lighter the higher you fly. As a storm-tossed ship founders and sinks, therefore, it must reach a depth where the water below it is just viscous enough to stop its fall.

In short, it stops sinking and ends up floating on an underwater surface, beyond the reach of the storms but far above the ocean floor.

It’s calm there. Dead calm.

Some stricken ships have rigging; some even have sails. Many still have crew, tangled in the rigging or lashed to the wheel.

But the voyages still continue, aimlessly, with no harbour in sight, because there are currents under the ocean and so the dead ships with their skeleton crews sail on around the world, over sunken cities and between drowned mountains, until rot and shipworms eat them away and they disintegrate. Sometimes an anchor drops, all the way to the dark, cold calmness of the abyssal plain, and disturbs the stillness of centuries by throwing up a cloud of silt.

One nearly hit Anghammarad, where he sat watching the ships drift by, far overhead.

He remembered it, because it was the only really interesting thing to happen for nine thousand years.
OK, I just bought Going Postal.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Here. Skiing today. Somehow there was virtually no traffic, so even driving up at the speed limit the whole way, we're still over an hour earlier than usual.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Hello all. Dropping off boots and bindings so that REI can mount 'em up to my new skis, performing in another concert tonight, then off to the tropical land of part-Asian people like me.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Fell in bumps with my arm out. Shoulder particularly unhappy right now. Sitting in the sun enjoying getting a tan.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Le truck. Should be fun helping her park it in the garage at the condo later. Parking it in this open parking garage at the hospital was stressful enough...

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
My life is upside down. Not only have I turned into a garden nerd but I can see how a pickup would be perfect for me.

Picked up a huge juniper for free and stuck it into the car. Turns out spiders love them and the car was filled with small spiders and the rest of the family was amused or buying my speech about nature

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

First ride is in the books. Fantastic bike. Only a few adjustments to get it where I want it.

Fuck riding in the cold though. Even in all my winter gear, I nearly got frostbite in my wiggly bits. Only around 30*, but a 20 mile an hour headwind in every direction...

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008

First ride is in the books. Fantastic bike. Only a few adjustments to get it where I want it.
You need to work on this roadie thing a bit. Here are some pointers on how to do it right:
- color coordination: rim decals have to match the bottle cages and handlebar tape, if the saddle would match it would be perfect
- for pictures you need to shift to big-small, take bottles/seatbags/etc. off and align the valve stems
- ideally your clothing is picking up some of the colors on the bike, so yellow helmet, shoes, gloves are in order
;)

Just pulling your leg! Nice bike, have fun with it!

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I cannot see at all in the Pool. I need to figure out how to have sight while I am in the Pool. I think if I could see I would be able to utilize it as an activity better. I cannot see the lanes in the deep end. Bumped my head on the wall today.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
You need to work on this roadie thing a bit. Here are some pointers on how to do it right:
- color coordination: rim decals have to match the bottle cages and handlebar tape, if the saddle would match it would be perfect
- for pictures you need to shift to big-small, take bottles/seatbags/etc. off and align the valve stems
- ideally your clothing is picking up some of the colors on the bike, so yellow helmet, shoes, gloves are in order
;)

Just pulling your leg! Nice bike, have fun with it!
I'm aware of "the rules", I just don't really care that much. I'd love to slam my stem, get full matchy matchy, etc, but this is the first ride on the thing. I'd like to remove the shiny prime stickers and replace them with fluoro yellow matchy bits (or just black) and yeah a yellow flo fun saddle is somewhere out there with my name on it!

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
On the 0.9 mile drive to my local carwash via a 30 mph limit neighborhood road there was some asshole in a late model Mustang going the other way at least 60 mph.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark

Fuck riding in the cold though. Even in all my winter gear, I nearly got frostbite in my wiggly bits. Only around 30*, but a 20 mile an hour headwind in every direction...
That is some serious kit I didn't know you were that much into the roadie universe with matching bottle cages and all.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
That is some serious kit I didn't know you were that much into the roadie universe with matching bottle cages and all.
LOL if matching cages makes me a true roadie, then colour me bad.

I'm getting into road riding a lot these days as the trails out here SUCK and time is precious. If I had 6 hours to spend riding, I'd have no problem driving an hour to a good place to ride, getting 2 hours in, then shooting the shit and driving home...but that's not the case. I get to leave my home and ride some fantastic roads with relatively courteous drivers and can do anywhere from 15-50 miles with total ease. This build turned from a "well I'd really like a new drivetrain" into "but yeah then I'd need new wheels, and if I need new wheels I need a new frame, and if I need a new frame then I'll need new brakes, and..." so I ended up with a 3T strada :rolleyes: