Quantcast

Sette flite Bikes

Jun 21, 2007
Boston
my buddy has a relic.. it makes a nice trail bike.. but not too good for aggressive riding styles. He has lots of problems with the pivots in the linkage blowin out..

VwFix

Chimp
Sep 27, 2007
Hmm maybe you guys could suggest something, my last bike was a bullit, and this was about 3 years ago. So i am looking for something with about 6 inches of travel that I can climb on buy yet not be afraid to launch of a few jumps and drops, and be able to pick the frame up for under 700 bucks.

Jun 21, 2007
Boston
oh... and i swear that flite is just an old school giant ac1.. everything about it looks identical... except for the fact that it's not an FSR link.

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
Pick up another bullit. I ride an 05 and love it to pieces, best ride I have ever ridden.

You can pick up a Kona Coiler frame with a fox vanilla on it for about 650 at some websites.

If you can spend a lot of money go with the the Transitions Bottle rocket. Sweet freeride rig.

Giant also make a nice little all around bike.

VwFix

Chimp
Sep 27, 2007
Basically I do not want to spend 2-3 grand on another rig since i do not have as much time to ride not and want be doing as much crazy stuff as before, a lot more trail riding, but I still want a frame that is strong since I am 240 pound and will take the bike of random jumps and drops because i can't resist them so i guess I am looking for more of an all mountain set up with 5-6 inches of travel all around.

ridingdown

Chimp
Aug 13, 2007
those frames are the same as the harvey cycles. they probably come from the same factory. that top one has some issues with the short interrupted seat tube. you'll have to put a telescoping post in there or the first time you lower it will destroy the shock. know this because i have been on a harvey cycles bennet gap which is identical. it is also pretty busy looking. the whole thing is just bolted together everywhere. my 2cents.

VwFix

Chimp
Sep 27, 2007
This looks like a nice option but I wonder how it would be on climbs plus I would have to go with 17 inch since I am 6 ft tall so 19 would be a little too big.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
The coiler/coilair bikes are supposed to be pretty good up and down. It's a good deal for the frame. They're pretty similar to the Transition Dirtbags if I'm not too mistaken. Also look used. You can get some steals that way. A 1 yo used frame will sell at a fraction of it's price new.

Jun 21, 2007
Boston
for the money you're looking to spend and travel you want.. i'd go for one of the kona coilers... or you could look for something used.

VwFix

Chimp
Sep 27, 2007
So i am really considering the bennet gap bike, anyone has one or rode one.

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota
keep checking back at transitionbikes.com, those guys make a really solid frame with a one year defective warranty, and a lifetime crash replacement guarentee. keeps me feeling warm and happy. they're also really knowledgable and will tell you what you need to know (i.e. not what's gonna make you buy a bike immediately). they're webstore listed new 06 dirtbags and a few others for under 700 a piece. much better investment than a bennette. check out the reviews for transition frames on mtbr

bshinn

Chimp
Mar 3, 2007
Here's the link to m writeup on my Relic, ( same as the Bennett Gap), know it's late but hope it helps. Looking @ springing for the Flite AM. Talked to the guy who owns Harvey Cycles, & the linkage problems are affecting the Bennett Gap also, Price Point has been great about supplying replacement parts, & I would have no qualms about considering a Flite AM, (If I can get the wife to OK it I will).

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2472066#post2472066

Here's the update:

OK, the RELIC is built. (19" frame)

Here are the Specs:

Frame wt, Swinger 4way-9.5#/DHX air-8.5#

FOX Float 36 RC2 on the front/ DHX air 5.0 on the rear.

Mavic Crossmax XL's with Specalized 2.0 UST tires

XT Drivetrain (Hollowtech II)

XT M755 Brakes 203fr/rr

Easton Monkey lite carbon 31.6 mid rise bar w/ODI ruffian grips

Maverick Spedball post w/ Dirt Research Flite knockoff saddle

Shimano PD-M647 DX pedals

Tipped the scales @ 32.8 lbs.

Did have one problem, the link between the shock & rear triangle had a lot of play. Contacted Pricepoint & they shipped a replacement the next day UPS blue. Much better, but still loose. Get what you pay for! I'm going to search for some better quality bushings, & I'll bet that fixes it for a few bucks.

It's a good quality basic DS frame. Not sexy by some standards, the main tubes are straight, & not formed in any way (bent swaged, ect.), but they get the job done. Would have liked a Titus El Gaupo, or Scott Ransom, but for a 40yo with 2 college tuitions in his future, this made a hell of a lot more sense.

So far it has 3 rides & approx 30 miles on it, angles are a little slacker than I'm used to, but I adapted quickly, (a lower shorter stem helped).
I was also hoping to get it under 30#, but I can take a good dump & make up the weight difference. So far it's held up to the clydesdale test (I'm 6'0"/230#) fine, & I have no reason to expect any problems in the future.

My previous ride was a GT STS, & compared to that high end ride, I'm not dissapointed. It's straight, the welds look nice, & with exception of the bad link, the machine work is very good.

Overall I'd say it's a deal.

I tried to post some pix, but couldn't get the file size small enough. If you want some email me (bshinn@bellsouth.net) & I'll send you a few.

Last edited:

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Be careful buying used. Al is only good for 3-5 years.
Heh. I've got a 93 avalanche frame that I rode the crap out of, handed it off to my buddy to ride the crap out of, and has now been put to work as a single speed XtraCycle frame.

Last weekend I rode it from the liquor store back to my house with two cases of beer and two eight redbulls in the sack and a 250+ dude sitting on the back. If I swerved too hard I could feel the entire frame flex about 4 inches off to the side in either direction.

...yeah, I just really wanted to tell that story :busted: