Quantcast

Sette Vexx DH frame .. any opinions?

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali

$699 w/ shock.

for the riders out there looking to ride DH on a budget, this frame seems like a good deal. the design similarities to a morewood makalu are obvious. 1.5 HT means you could run a HA of 64.5, and lower the BB to 14 inches or so. takes a standard 9.5 X 3.0 shock, and the vivid is a decent enough shock. Front pinch bolt pivot looks beefy enough. CS length is just right IMO. 5 yr warranty FWIW.

just remove the stickers, and put morewood stickers on there....
:D

read the other thread but it only had one ride report i think...

Last edited:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Friend of mine just got 1, said the geo was wack, but he liked how it rode. More information after this weekend possibly.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
Looks like a good deal price wise for a budget but it doesn't look that close to the Makulu in my opinion.

Shock linkage actuates differently on the Makulu, much different main pivot position, longer i2i shock, etc.

nmpearson

Monkey
Dec 30, 2006
i've ridden the frame and all i can say is don't get a better bike then pick this one up because you want to save some money. You won't like it. If you're new at dh, it'll probably feel great

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Its an astro catalog frame. Many companies use it rebranded. The stock geo is really whack. Maybe with angle cups its better.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
i think comparing a sette to a morewood or foes is an insult
dood, it was a joke. hence the :D Everyone knows this is a catalog bike. but some catalog bikes are better than others....

i'm not interested in getting the bike, as i made clear in my post. i have a round tube DHR and will be getting a DW dhr or v10 C next spring. but friends looking into getting into DH typically don't want to drop much cash, so i keep my eyes open on the value options like the Mongoose complete bikes.

the other thread said that angled HS was a must, which i'm sure it is given the stock 66 HA.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
dood, it was a joke. hence the :D Everyone knows this is a catalog bike. but some catalog bikes are better than others....

i'm not interested in getting the bike, as i made clear in my post. i have a round tube DHR and will be getting a DW dhr or v10 C next spring. but friends looking into getting into DH typically don't want to drop much cash, so i keep my eyes open on the value options like the Mongoose complete bikes.

the other thread said that angled HS was a must, which i'm sure it is given the stock 66 HA.
Why not get the new astro frame the one KHS was showing at interbike.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Friend of mine rides a Sette Vexx. He changed the HA to 64 degrees - he digs it.

I got a chance to ride it, awesome bike. For $700 you can't go wrong. He's also a fairly big dude and has pounded the hell out of it on our local trails, no problems at all in quite awhile.

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ
With the angled hs it wouldn't be bad as a back up bike. With some searching and spare parts I'm sure you can build it up under $1500.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
With the angled hs it wouldn't be bad as a back up bike. With some searching and spare parts I'm sure you can build it up under $1500.
700, 300 for outlaws (or 100 from discountcycling)
300 for a 888 used or on blowout

1300 with just the small stuff to go.

i will still say that i believe its better to buy a race bike used, most 5K bikes are only worth 1500 after a year or two

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
How much do you pay them for??! Hook us up! ;)

demo9, I can't find any 100$ outlaws on discountedcycling...
I have two sets of outlaws and I paid 200 each time... and that was over a year ago

and demo9 was talking about the 100 the rims that were on discountedcycling. I think he sold them out alread though.

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ
Was wondering how that thing might be if you drilled out another shock mount on the front end...
I wouldn't. If that was a solid plate of aluminum it may be fine. But it has a hole there and putting the shock mount closer would cause a big stress riser. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
Curious about drilling it for better geo, not for shock fitment. I'm sure that would void the warranty though. But for the price of that frame, I'm very curious how it would ride with altered geo and with the money saved put towards a double barrel with ti spring, who knows.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
if its a 66* stock HA, you can get to 64.5* with a Angleset and if you have a long fork like a 888, you should be able to slack it out just a bit more too.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
looks like k9 does it for that lenght HT. That would make the HA 64...might not be too shabbadoo....i wonder what the shock rate is like

toowacky

Monkey
Feb 20, 2010
Pac NW
Thought someone would have already posted to the Fiero already....

I wanted to get the bike down into the 64 degree mark, so with a little research and hunting, I acquired a set of the Works Components offset reducer headset cups, which are usually used for SoCom's and Sundays, but after looking, I noticed the frame's headtube was within 5mm of the height of a SoCom, so it worked out perfectly, giving the bike a head angle of 64.3 degrees.