Quantcast

Sette Vexx

peacecoast

Chimp
Jul 21, 2010
New Hampshire
Does any one know anything about this bike? Good or bad? Is it a good deal for someone DH racing next year? Also, what is the cheapest i could build my own bike? Like a nice DH bike? I think i would want to buy everything new also. Thanks

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I don't know about the Vexx, but I believe I had heard about people having trouble with the geometry on similar taiwan/catalog bikes. I thought there was some fix, but I'm not sure. It would doubtfully be noticed by a beginner, provided the bike fits.

As for "what's the cheapest..." I got away with my bike costing $2500. That's with a used Sunday WC frame and Boxxer WC forks (both were in decent condition and top level components from a year back, when I bought them) and build it up with almost entirely new components, including almost all saint. Only used/hand me down parts were the saddle, seatpost, stem (bought used), cassette and pedals. That's all pretty decent stuff, and most of the bike is brand new. You could easily go cheaper and still get good performance.

I would suggest if you're just starting out, buy a frame and fork that are used, and build the rest yourself...you'll learn a lot and you can build your drivetrain from scratch, which can be pretty essential. Just try and remember that after a day in the dirt and mud, nothing looks new anymore...

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Personally I don't think I would trust a bike like that.
One of the guys I ride with got one.
He's a bigger dude and has been beating the hell out of his for almost a year now. No problems with the frame. And we have extremely rocky, punishing trails.

He added the offset cups from Works Components to give his bike a 64 degree head angle. It feels super low and slack, like any modern DH bike.

I keep thinking about picking one up. Definitely need the offset cups though, otherwise it has like a 66 degree HA.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Its not exactly ground breaking in any respect, however given the fact that you can pull it out of the box brand new and race dh for $2200 in an inherantly expensive sport its a step in the right direction. You better believe that budget dh bikes have a future, bike companies are starting to listen...

Sandwich, I sort of agree with you but its very difficult for a novice to pick a good buy out from the pile of people who are trying to make a buck, especially if looking at the bike first is not an option. Even if they aren't top notch things that are new tend to at least work and if they don't you have a warranty to take care of it.

In the long run you will get far more bang for the buck by going with a used bike but be careful. Also, please delete your other thread (peacecoast).

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Personally I don't think I would trust a bike like that.
Poison/Rockmachine and some other companies sell it and it has no serious issues though the quality is not top notch so dont talk out of your ass. The geo is sub par and there are better ways to spend your money but catalog products dont explode on every ride.

As for cheaper bikes - sunday + older boxxer is a nice idea. If you live in yurp YT Tues DH is a good option too.

peacecoast

Chimp
Jul 21, 2010
New Hampshire
Thanks everyone, the problem is, my dad will only buy used something if its local and we can check it out. I'm gettin new bars and grips for my current bike, so I might use those next year.

spintowin

Chimp
Jul 28, 2010
Salt Lake
It looks like a good deal for the price, but I'd recommend continuing your search locally for a used bike. You can pretty easily find a quality used DH bike for under $1500, and as an entry level rider, a brand new bike isn't going to make you any faster of a rider.