Quantcast

setting goals

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I'm curious what kinds of goals you all set for yourselves on individual rides. Recently my goals have been to complete my rides without using my little ring and to average at least 15mph for the ride.

To have fun and enjoy the spin is a given...

J

JRB

I set speed goals before, but now I see how low I can keep my heart rate on big climbs. I also started making myself spin more. I am more energetic, and faster on climbs.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Lately I have been very inconsistant on the bike, some days I feel like a rocketship and others I feel like an anchor. I just ride to see how I feel, if things are going well I drop the hammer. If not I just cruise.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
I try to work on one area each ride.

concentrate on spinning
concentrate on really lifting the pedals during the upstroke
Crush hills
Sprints/intervals
Ride at XXX heart rate (recovery or speed training)

My goal is not to be dropped by the cat 1 monsters that show up to our group rides.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
Drinking a beer at the end of the ride. That's always a good goal.

Actually, I do little goals along rides too. On my commute in to work I have speed goals for climbs. One climb is to top out still holding 20 or better. Another one is to top out still going 12 or better, etc.

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
I mostly just try to concentrate on my spinning and getting a smooth cadence. I agree that some days I feel fast and other days I'm dragging a parachute behind me.

But for the most part, my commute (10 miles each way) has improved. My average speed went from about 16.5 to now around 17.5. I think that is a pretty sweet improvement.

My other goal... to get used to riding in groups so I'm not a complete dork when the El Tour de Tucson rolls around in a couple months!

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
Yeah, it is the gas prices. They're bringing everyone out of the woodwork on their bikes. Only bad thing is that most of them now riding don't know a thing about safety. The two dead ones were riding AGAINST traffic and not wearing helmets. The third was just bombing through traffic and T-boned a car.

For the first time ever, I had some guy yell at me "You're going to get yourself killed!" as I rode by yesterday. I wasn't doing anything wrong!

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
Forgot to mention... I hit my best average speed yesterday. My commute usually hovers between 16.5-17.5, but I really felt strong yesterday and got it up to 18.3! HItting a lot of the lights green helped, too... but it was awesome!