Quantcast

Setting pressure in SPV chamber...

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
So, my 5th Element Air has been feeling a bit rubbery (no platform) lately, so I sent it to Progressive and got it rebuilt. I got it back, mounted it up, checked/set the air, and took it for a ride. It was a total pogo stick with no damping at all. So I checked the air pressures again, and the SPV (IFP) chamber was reading zero. So I tried resetting the pressure, and best as I can determine, I'm losing all of the air when I'm removing the pump. If I try really hard, I can get the pump off and retain some pressure, and the shock has damping again, but I don't know how much pressure is left, and I don't feel much platform. Not very precision, and it just doesn't seem right. Anybody have any suggestions? It there a pump that would do better at retaining the pressure when removed? I'm using the stock pump supplied with the shock from Progressive. Thanks in advance for any help.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've had the same problems on my 5th air. I found this shock pump made things a lot easier. The needle that opens up the valve on the shock is adjustable. You can thread the pump on to the shock and then turn in the needle to allow air to pass. When the pressure is to your liking back the needle off so no air can escape the shock while removing the pump.

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Cool, thanks for the info. Westy, what happened to the beer drinking last week? I bought four cases thinking you were coming over and ended up drinking it all myself.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
ghostrider said:
Cool, thanks for the info. Westy, what happened to the beer drinking last week? I bought four cases thinking you were coming over and ended up drinking it all myself.
Sorry man, ended up working some very long days and never had the time. I'm heading out again on Wednesday, I'll buy ya another case to payback the one you had to drink by yourself. :think:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I've had the same problem. The seal in some pumps unscrews the valve core in scheader valve. Check to make sure the valve core is tight.

ZachTheMech

Monkey
Mar 17, 2004
Browns Summit, NC
Try out the one from manitou its RED and specifically for SPV it is a Low Pressure pump which is what you need for that chamber. also if you change any settings youll need to re check the air as it will change the air space in those. Check your rebound too, the SPV well in Progressives case the IFP chamber has nothing to do with making the shock pogo, thats rebound. Check your rebound settings.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
ZachTheMech said:
Try out the one from manitou its RED and specifically for SPV it is a Low Pressure pump which is what you need for that chamber. also if you change any settings youll need to re check the air as it will change the air space in those. Check your rebound too, the SPV well in Progressives case the IFP chamber has nothing to do with making the shock pogo, thats rebound. Check your rebound settings.
Not true. The SPV has to be above a minimum pressure for the rebound to work. Under that pressure and it will po-go. Usually Manitou recommends around 40-50 psi to assure proper working of the SPV and rebound. However it is possible to blow the rebound ciruit yet the SPV is fine. But that can be checked by setting the SPV pressure above 50 psi and adjusting the rebound adjuster. If it holds air and the rebound doesn't work, then the rebound is blown. But if won't hold air, then the valve core is bad or loose.

ZachTheMech

Monkey
Mar 17, 2004
Browns Summit, NC
Swinger 4 Way SPV 50-175 psi using a low pressure pump, Sherman Slider + 170 SPV 30-100 psi using a low pressure pump are the actual limitations. I think what i was sayin tho was with this SPV settin set where its suppose to( or ment to say ) , it doesnt effect how the fork or rear shock rebounds. What will happen if you run less then 30 or 50 depending on fork or rear shock is you'll mess up the chamber. This guy has a 5th Element tho and i think the min air is 50 on those as well not 100% sure cause i refuse to own one, have seen to many go bad.