Quantcast

Setting up 40rc. Softer spring than recommended.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
So i've put in more than enough time to break in my 40rc2, how i find the fork to alittle to hard on the high speed small bumps. I was running the stock spring, with 1 click of high/low compression and minimal spring preload. Still, i couldnt help but notice how harsh it was w/ small bumps at high speed. I'm 165lbs, 175lbs fully geared. The stock spring is what i should be running according to fox. Today I swapped out the spring for a purple one (120-150lb rider), upped the spring preload and high/low speed compression. However, i can tell frequent bottoming may become an issue with any drops over 3-4feet, but the fork will perfect exactly how i want it to everywhere else. I'm posting to see if anyone else has found themselves im my shoes and has taken the route i have. I may just be over thinking it, but do you think my current set up will eventually fatigue the fork and lead to cracking? I've done searching but didnt find the answers i was looking for. Any 40 owners input would be great!

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
What if you run no low speed and all high speed compression so it ramps up with you stock spring or the new one?

DH SB RIDER

Monkey
Aug 31, 2005
Santa Barbara
Dude dont make fun of Adam Novatt, on the 504 program at school and he goes to theropy 3 times a week because he has a hard time expressing him self, he also has a really low self image(what his mother has told me.) So give the guy a break.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
DH SB RIDER said:
Dude dont make fun of Adam Novatt, on the 504 program at school and he goes to theropy 3 times a week because he has a hard time expressing him self, he also has a really low self image(what his mother has told me.) So give the guy a break.

They havent banned you SB kids yet? :rolleyes: Seriously, keep your personal sh*t out of this thread, I was asking for advice from people who have experience setting up this fork. Got issues with bicyclist? pm him. simple.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
hey oliver shut up man i am a 4.0 student in ap classes this year what you get a 1.33 and a the track to not going to college. just shut up save you energy. but yeah man Bicyclist take the stupid crank thing off it is getting anoying you made your point like a month and a half ago

dhmtbj

Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Boston
It seems odd that you are having issues because I weigh 145 and find the stock springs to be perfect with both compression adjustments full out. Spring weight not only depends on your weight but also on how fast you are going. Higher speeds are going to require a heavier spring. However since you seem to like the softer springs I would suggest running the low speed compression at full out, and cranking the high speed compression up to the point where you can bottom but only on the harder hits or bigger drops.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
You may need to send it into fox. Get them to put the hydraulic bottoming cone into the harder setting to make it harder to bottom out.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
MtnbikeMike said:
Is your rebound fast enough? Was it packing up over the small stuff? Just a though.
No, i've got the rebound set just right for our area.

Good point J. I found it very odd too. We have alot of tight nasty woods trails, but we also have alot of high speed open granite, the high speed stuff seemed to be where the issue was. It felt like i was riding a fork with spv when it came to fast small stuff. I'm beginning to question if this is because i came off a 888 (which is a totally different ride), but i would think after a dozen + rides i would have been used to it by now :rolleyes:

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
I had the correct spring according to fox (yellow) and also found it too harsh. I put in the next softer spring, and the fork is way better, I just added alot more HS compression to handle the bottom outs. After a full day at whistler on that setup im pleased. I never bottomed with a hard clank, but a few times on slow rough terrain i did overshift my weight diving the fork through most its travel..... but i also think that was partly from being tired, as it was happening late in the day.