Quantcast

setting up a single speed w vert dropouts

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by no kar
is there any way to set up a regular mtb with vertical dropouts(as opposed to horz dropouts) as a single speed without using a chain tensioner?
Short answer: NO

Not in a reliable way. If you experiment with an old chain and just the right front/ rear gear combo, maybe, but it wil fail eventually.

This gave me a busted collar bone BTW.

Get the singulator.

no kar

Chimp
Sep 10, 2001
portland oregon
i was assuming it was possible, but definately a crap shoot to get the right gear combo fr and rear to make a chain fit tight...

how did this method fail you?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Originally posted by no kar
is there any way to set up a regular mtb with vertical dropouts(as opposed to horz dropouts) as a single speed without using a chain tensioner?
depending on chainstay length, you might be able to work something out. i think this site: http://www.peak.org/~fixin/ had some gear combos that you can use without a tensioner for a given CS length.

M

M.W.

It is possible...

BenWA has his Kona Chute setup as a 1speed and his setup works really well. I dunno what all stuff he's running though.

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by Metal

Did you chain fall off causing you to flip over the bars. I remeber you had an SC Caleleon set-up as a single-speed. Was that the bike the crash occured on.
No, it was an old Caloi frame I set up w/ bmx stuff. I had the classic cassette spacer and 1 cog setup, and a 32 x 14 combo was just right for cruising. The chain got loose and slipped off the rear and onto the spacers, right in the middle of me sprinting off of a light. I basically kicked the bike out from underneath me and went down HARD on my left side. Broken collar bone, cracked ribs, deeply bruised knee, deeply bruised elbow, busted helmet.

If I had correct tension, this would not have happened.

The lame thing was I was happilly sprinting away from my first day at a new job at my favorite LBS!! I had to go and ask him to call my friend to drive me to the hospital.

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by the Inbred
damn, how much slack did you have in your chain?
Almost none, at first anyway. Over time it worked loose I guess, and I just didn't check it enough. With horiz dropouts on a true SS you notice these things.

Be careful folks!:rolleyes:

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
oh, so it was had horizontal drop-outs? i thought you had vert. drops...yeah man, i'd never ride without my chaintugs.

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by the Inbred
oh, so it was had horizontal drop-outs? i thought you had vert. drops...yeah man, i'd never ride without my chaintugs.
No it had verts....

I guess the above was a little confusing. I was just saying that you get used to checking your chain tension if you have horiz drops.

fennell

Chimp
Jun 6, 2002
boone nc
yes it is possible, but it takes patience. i have my town bike set up that way. i have an ancient crack and fail set up

fennell

Chimp
Jun 6, 2002
boone nc
yes it is possible, but it takes patience. i have my town bike set up that way. i have an ancient crack and fail set up with a normal cassette hub with lots of spacers on it, once i got the chainline fixed i started playing with gear combos, now this is what takes patience but it IS possible, i think it is best to run small chainrings and cogs for best outcome, profile cranks would help with chainline too

Shibby

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
cambridge, ma
it takes time, spare cogs and chainrings, and an old chain. get a ballpark on the front chainring you want and hook it up, then try 14, 15, 16, 17, 18t cog on the back until you find one with proper tension.

my SS (fully rigid trek 930, 19" frame, not a dirtjumper, but definitely relevant to this thread) has a 42t up front (lovely steel Alivio chainring... heavy and burly), KMC 3/32" 6spd chain (cheap and burly), and an ACS 18t freewheel.. just came off of the freehub with spacers approach (42t front, 14t rear! yowie) needless to say, this is a lot nicer.

if you have a freewheel, it's best to have a shop hookup where you can try a bunch and not have to buy them.

M

M.W.

Originally posted by Shibby
it takes time, spare cogs and chainrings, and an old chain. get a ballpark on the front chainring you want and hook it up, then try 14, 15, 16, 17, 18t cog on the back until you find one with proper tension.

my SS (fully rigid trek 930, 19" frame, not a dirtjumper, but definitely relevant to this thread) has a 42t up front (lovely steel Alivio chainring... heavy and burly), KMC 3/32" 6spd chain (cheap and burly), and an ACS 18t freewheel.. just came off of the freehub with spacers approach (42t front, 14t rear! yowie) needless to say, this is a lot nicer.

if you have a freewheel, it's best to have a shop hookup where you can try a bunch and not have to buy them.
To get the chain length right, you can use a halflink too.

Shibby

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
cambridge, ma
what's a halflink?

btw - i don't think it's bogus. it works, it just takes time and resources. the results (clean look, no need for guide systems, etc) are worth it imo.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
My '95 Parkpre with vertical dropouts is set up singlespeed. I ran a singlelator tensioner for about 2 years, then somehwere on the internet, saw an article about filing down the sides of your axle to make them flat. This allows for a 'tiny' amount of adjustment without compromising the frame.

I filed mine, and have been running it like that for about a year now. Never had the chain fall off once. You still have to play with gears to get it pretty close. I run a 36-17 on mine.

Hope this helps.

Good luck. :)

bru

Chimp
Sep 9, 2001
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Yeah half links are wicked but you don't have to spend money to get some. I made my own half links when singlespeeding my xc bike. Just disassemble a link, keep the rollers, and throw out the inner plates. Use a vice and some pliers and a hammer and bend the outer plates to the shape you need. Open the pin whole slighty on the end of the outer plates that will serve as the inner plate portion on the half link so that you don't get a stiff link (since outer plates require a press-fit with the pin). Reassemble with a new pin and the original rollers(it will fit loosely since there aren't the same flanges as there are on the inner plate) and voila! You have just made a half link!