Quantcast

Setting up Magura Gustav MX

macmx

Monkey
Dec 28, 2003
I just bought a set of these and I'm having problem setting them up. First of all, when I put the adapter on (for the rear) the axle from the adapter thru the brake stick out at enormous lenght after going thru the brake. What's that about`? I had to use alot of spacers to get that bolt to tighten the adapter to the brake.

And what's the deal with that small bolt/skrew? Why am I having to rip my old brakes of spacers just to be able to get the adapter on? Should I be able to do this from just the brakekit?

And I can't get the right fit for the brake and the disc. It's always crooked or too much to one side, so my wheel brakes alot.

help is deeply appreciated! :thumb:

PS: I tried the gustavs on some other bike, so I have felt how they work like a dream once one there! It's getting them on there that the problem. :stupid:

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I used to run Gustav's (like 1999 model)

I am having a hard time understanding your problem. :confused: Please let me know if I am close.

the axle from the adapter thru the brake stick out at enormous lenght after going thru the brake. What's that about`?
are you talking about the bolt? the bolt that mounts the caliper to the adapter? My guess is the bolt is to long....find a shorter one or find a nut thread it on the bolt and then hack saw the bolt to the length needed then remove the nut (that will help clean the threads at the cut)

And what's the deal with that small bolt/skrew? Why am I having to rip my old brakes of spacers just to be able to get the adapter on? Should I be able to do this from just the brakekit?
You lost me there. :( :confused:

And I can't get the right fit for the brake and the disc. It's always crooked or too much to one side, so my wheel brakes alot.
Well if the brake does not line up parrallel with the disk than either, 1) the disk mount is bent, 2) the disk adapter is bent, 3) the disk caliperis bent, 4) the Frame at the drop outs is bent, 5) the disk itself is bent.......etc.

If it is a spacing issue than use different thickness spacers (start with thick ones and then REALLY thin ones to fin tune the spacing to get the caliper centered on the disk. The caliper will float some but you need to get it centered so it can move around in both directions.