Quantcast

setting up marzocchi super t rcv 2007

hurst39

Chimp
Aug 2, 2009
hi my son has just finished a custom build iron horse yakuza ojiki, he has the marzocchi super t rcv 2007 forks. he would like them setting to his weight, his weight is around the 8 1/2 stone mark, he uses the forks for dh, he said to me he wanted the forks to be plush and to move over the little bumps as well as the big ones, please would anybody tell me what to do about setting sag, positive air and also preload, also the oil height and weight

JohnnyC

Monkey
Feb 10, 2006
Rotorua, New Zealand
Ok, google tells me that 8.5 stone is about 54kg so he is pretty light then...

Setting sag- (you might want to hold the bike for him as he will need to be standing on it)

Wrap a zip tie around a stanchion, get him to stand on the pedals, holding the bars and with his weight over the front wheel then let the fork settle into its travel.

Slide the zip tie down then get him to step off, how far the zip tie has moved up is how much sag he is getting, you want about 35% of the total travel for a DH fork.

He will most like be getting too little travel (ie too hard) so either find softer springs or you can just take one of the 2 springs out then add a little bit of air if that makes them too soft. You only need to add air if he is getting a bit too much sag.

The fork needs 255cc of oil in each leg, stock is 7.5wt but for your guy I would recommend 5wt Silkolene Pro RSF, maybe add another 10cc or so if he wants the fork to ramp up on big hits. The lighter springs and oil will make it supple over small bumps but the extra oil volume will stop it blowing through too much travel. You can also use the compression adjuster on the bottom of the left leg to stop the fork diving under brakes if he needs to as wel