Quantcast

Setting up sag on my CCDB

GPERKINS

Monkey
Jul 25, 2007
Timberlake
I want to make sure I have my sag set up properley. Can someone take me thorugh the steps of setting up my sag just to make sure.

Thanks,

Austin

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
What kind of bike is it on? Do you know the stroke of your shock? For an example, I'll use a 9.5 X 3 size shock...

Gear up with your normal helmet, pack, ect. and sit on the bike (in the "attack" position). Make sure you have the spring collar snug, but not pre-loaded more than 2 turns. Sitting on the bike without compressing the suspension, measure the eye to eye and see what it is compared to 9.5... Typically, you're looking for 30% sag on a DH bike, so if the eye to eye comes close to 8.5, you're in the ballpark. (3 inch stroke compressing one inch.)

Hope that helped!

Last edited:

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
You want to measure sag in the riding position generally. For a DH bike, this is standing, not sitting.

For the CCDB, I would err on the side of more sag than less...closer to 40% is pretty normal for that shock depending on the frame wheel/shock rate, etc.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
You want to measure sag in the riding position generally. For a DH bike, this is standing, not sitting.
Fixed.

For the CCDB, I would err on the side of more sag than less...closer to 40% is pretty normal for that shock depending on the frame wheel/shock rate, etc.
This is what Malcolm suggested for my Rocky Mtn. Switch, but the bike didn't maintain the geometry I liked with the lighter spring rate, so I bumped it up to a normal spring... Still worked great on that bike though. If the OP is on a Morewood S.P. as his avatar suggests, then 40% is not unreasonable at all.

Owennn

Monkey
Mar 10, 2009
Also helps to err on the side of too much sag rather than too little when measuring on flat ground, since your weight is more on the front when going downhill.