Quantcast

setup for riding on snow

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I used to ride in the snow pretty frequently but I basically stopped doing that in the last 2 years. I think I might want to start it up again just to get some riding time and a few kicks in. I know that bike setup isn't too critical here, but if I can change it fo the better, I might as well. I'll be riding on snow and ice covered sidewalks, roads and trails.

I'll probably ride my Giant VT (other option is a CX bike). I can't change much except wheels, tires, pedals and bar/stem. I have a spare set of platforms I will throw on, so that is taken care of.

What is the preferred type of tire to use? Most of my tires are at home (I am at school now) so my optioons are either UST Conti Vertical Pro 2.3s on XC rims or a 2.5 Nevegal/2.35 Blue Groove single ply combo on DH rims. The Contis have a pretty open tread pattern with little spikes, which would probably be pretty good but the more square/larger footprint and the lower psi of the Kendas would be good as well.

I assume that a wider bar is better. I have a 27" on there now but I have a lower, narrower rise bar I could toss on if there's an advantage I'm not thinking of. Also, I have a 100mm stem on there now but could put a shorter/higher rise stem on. Which would be better? The shorter would give me a little finer and quicker control but the weight distribution would probably be better with the longer one (more weight on the front wheel).

Any help would be appreciated.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
I am not going to be much of a help on this, but I would say keep the longer stem. At least when I ride in the snow, and especially ice I find it helpful having the longer stem because it seems to help keep the wheel straight especially while going on bumpy ice areas because I have better leverage to point the wheel where I want it to go rather then where the ice wants it to go. Maybe others have a different opinion on it, but that's what I usually run. Also if you dont have some sort of mudguard or something I'd say grab one at least for the rear, the last winter ride I went on I hit some small puddles along the way and when I got home my cleats were so packed with Ice I couldn't clip in, and my front derailleur was frozen completely in place not to mention pretty much the rest of my bike was a little frozen and I had to thaw everything out before I could clean it up. I'm also thinking run the tires that can handle lower psi, I've found at least hard tires +hard ice= me usually on the ground at some point or another. Hope any of that helps, and riding in the snow is great!