Quantcast

Setup on my freeride bike

Dane Schley

Chimp
Jun 25, 2015
Denver Colorado
Hi guys, this is my first post here on ride monkey.
I am 14 years old and I just bought an Astrix Huckster. It is a single speed crankset and an 8 speed cassette. I ride urban freeride, trails, and a little cross country sometimes. I don't mind the weight of the bike and the challenge because if that, but it isn't geared for climbing at all. I am part of my high schools mountain bike club and the rides will start soon and I need to be able to climb. Should I consider a different cassette or add another gear to the crankset? And what would I be looking at for cost for either of those? Thanks.

I also posted this in the freeride and downhill section.

swadd1er

Chimp
May 24, 2010
Newcastle
The bike isn't designed for climbing at all, however, if that's all you've got then you're going to have to make use of it. Personally, I think the best thing for you to do is purchase a dual crankset so you can have a smaller tooth chainring on the front for climbing as well as a larger one for downhill. For example a Shimano SLX crankset with dual ring. Just make sure you get the right BB size for your frame. You could also get a Blackspire Stinger guide (or something similar) to stop the chain bouncing off. Hope this helps.