Quantcast

seven springs

unskilled

Monkey
Jul 12, 2007
anyone know when seven springs will have the new trails online? i want to go cause i live an hour away but don't just want to do one trail all day long.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
just saw this press reelase on CanadianCyclist.com
-------------------------------------------------

Seven Springs Mountain Resort Opens Lift-Accessed Bike Park For 2008 Season
Press release

Seven Springs Mountain Resort opened the Seven Springs Bike Park on Sat., May 31, 2008. Bike park staff has prepping last season’s “Trail-007” with lofty goals for park expansion during the 2008 season.

With a successful inaugural year complete, the resort will expand the bike park and provide more events and services to mountain biking guests by adding both machine-built and hand-built trails to give riders more trail variety, mileage and challenge. Additionally, Seven Springs will establish a bike shop and a bike park yurt, where riders can chill and spend time with their friends after a run through the park.

Seven Springs has contracted the consulting and construction services of Alpine Bike Parks, LLC, to assist in the park’s development. Alpine’s pro-level designer/builders include Eric Carter (Mongoose/SRAM/Kenda), Randy Spangler (Santa Cruz/Marzocchi/Oakley), as well as former pro rider Judd de Vall.

“The trails at the Seven Springs Bike Park are all about flow,” says project manager Judd de Vall. “We want to build a diversity of trails that will provide an exceptional experience for a broad range of riders, from first-timers to experts. Some of our trails will be extremely challenging, but we also want to communicate that lift-accessed trails aren’t just for hardcore downhillers,” added de Vall. “Meandering, lift-accessed trails are a perfect experience for families who are looking for a way to ride together without long climbs. The trails can be an especially good way to introduce family members and children to our favorite summer experience.”

The park will be open 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on the following schedule:

May 30 to June 27: Weekends only

June 28 to Sept. 1: Daily

Sept. 2 to Oct. 26: Weekends and Holidays

Daily park passes are priced at $29. However, for the remainder of May and the month of June, day passes will be discounted. Season Passes are priced at $199. Kona mountain bikes and Fox Racing protective gear are available for rental. For more information, please visit <www.7springs.com.

About Seven Springs Mountain Resort

Seven Springs Mountain Resort, located in Seven Springs, Pa., is the state&#8217;s largest ski and four-season resort and was recently rated the number one resort in the mid-Atlantic region by the readers of SKI magazine. The resort is easily accessible from either exit 91 or 110 of the Pennsylvania Turnpike.

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
Saw that they contracted for trail, but are they done yet? spoke to some locals last weekend and they didn't provide much help other than they said it's going to get better, and they rent v-10's and nomads for 50.00 a day.

Tmsracing37

Chimp
Jan 24, 2007
Hagerstown/McConnellsburg
Your right, the locals didn't help you. They rent out kona's line of hardtails and freeride bikes.

last week they had the 007 trail open. Its like a mini me of whistler&#8217;s a-line. Berm, jump, jump , berm, jump, ..etc. On good days you probably could rip down the 007 on a bmx. It is a great trail for anyone wanting to start riding downhill ,but it does keep the experienced riders smiling

from what i understand there will be two new trails on the "steep side".

I do believeon seven springs site, there is a picture of someone railling a big berm that i don't remember riding sunday

unskilled

Monkey
Jul 12, 2007
i live up in state college. i have sunday free, is it worth my time to get down there and ride the trail, or should i wait until they open the new ones. wish they'd loan out v10's for 50 bucks. i'd pay that just to ride one for a day.

Arutha

Monkey
Nov 26, 2002
Western PA
i live up in state college. i have sunday free, is it worth my time to get down there and ride the trail, or should i wait until they open the new ones. wish they'd loan out v10's for 50 bucks. i'd pay that just to ride one for a day.
Wait a couple more weeks if you are renting a bike. I was up there thursday doing an xc ride and they are still working on the other trails, they seemed to think it would be in two weeks but don't quote me on that. I might go up Sunday just to ride the one trail but I wouldn't rent a bike for just that unless you are in the market and want to do a test ride.

unskilled

Monkey
Jul 12, 2007
yea i have my own bike and gear. i work at a shop too so i wonder if they'd give shop discount on a lift pass. i don't really want to make the 4 hr trek to diablo because no one is taking off to go. just have an afternoon to kill, figure its closer. i'll probably wait a few weeks just because i'd like to ride multiple trails.

Arutha

Monkey
Nov 26, 2002
Western PA
yea i have my own bike and gear. i work at a shop too so i wonder if they'd give shop discount on a lift pass. i don't really want to make the 4 hr trek to diablo because no one is taking off to go. just have an afternoon to kill, figure its closer. i'll probably wait a few weeks just because i'd like to ride multiple trails.
I went this weekend, only one trail but it was also only $15. Not sure if it is $15 next week or not but I was told it that the other two trails should be open for Saturday.

unskilled

Monkey
Jul 12, 2007
i ended up going two weekends ago. it was a pretty fun time. i mean its no diablo so don't have diablo expectations if you go. fun place is you only have a day free off work and want to do some dh. lift froze for like 30 minutes so we got a free day, and we hucked the gnar.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
OK,

so here is an update.

the original trail put in last year that can be seen on sicklines.com, is up and running. there have been a good many changes to this trail and it's name is "007". The changes are for the better!

There are 2 more trails in the process of being hand shaped after the initial push. The first of which is an entry level trail (one that will help transition the XC people into the gravity game). it is layed out in such a way that it will be fun, even for rippers!

Then next is a complete top to bottom race run called "upper EC 1 and lower EC1" you don't have to run the whole line you can jump back onto the 007 trail. This trail was designed a few weeks back by Eric Carter, with assistance from Judd De Vall, and Randy Spangler. This trail is almost completely hand shaped through the woods. The intention being to not disturb the lay of the land, and a more natural trail. Rock gardens, berms, tech sections wide open pinned sections... this trail has em.

In addition to the trails mentioned are some spur sections to add interest to the others. This includes a trail spur called "super connector" It has ladder bridges and sweet boulder sections, rock drops etc.

As for the intended opening of ALL the trails mentioned is July 3rd. Sections of the trails are being opened as we get them completed. The weather has not been kind AT ALL! The skid steer was unusable on the jump line at the top of super connector and EC1 yesterday because of the soggy conditions, and I was sent home early by Lightning and Rain on Wednesday. I wanted to keep working, but... I guess "safety" rules in these situations. I believe, upper ec1 should be opened this weekend.

I am sorry for the lack of pics. but I have to get up at 5:30 to be there by the 8am trail meeting... by the time I get home, I forget to pack the camera and at 5:30am I am lucky to remember my workboots! :redface: I have a week off, to go to the beach... but when I get back, I will get you folks the top secret VIP pics of all the new developments!

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
Your right, the locals didn't help you. They rent out kona's line of hardtails and freeride bikes.

last week they had the 007 trail open. Its like a mini me of whistler’s a-line. Berm, jump, jump , berm, jump, ..etc. On good days you probably could rip down the 007 on a bmx. It is a great trail for anyone wanting to start riding downhill ,but it does keep the experienced riders smiling

from what i understand there will be two new trails on the "steep side".

I do believeon seven springs site, there is a picture of someone railling a big berm that i don't remember riding sunday
Thanks Mr know it all I was talking to locals that worked for a local Santa cruz dealer in the area. I'm sure 3 dudes on v-10's weren't just talking out there rears.

Even with EC and Spangler designing trails the place needs to cut 5 or 6 more trails to make it more interesting to visit more than a couple times a year.

WISP and Timberline are far more interesting as far as variety and technical riding in this part of the woods.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Thanks Mr know it all I was talking to locals that worked for a local Santa cruz dealer in the area. I'm sure 3 dudes on v-10's weren't just talking out there rears.

Even with EC and Spangler designing trails the place needs to cut 5 or 6 more trails to make it more interesting to visit more than a couple times a year.

WISP and Timberline are far more interesting as far as variety and technical riding in this part of the woods.

they may not have been talking out of their rear's so to speak, but they are not correct. 7springs has a line of Kona's including very nice DH/FR bikes and they have a fleet of XC bikes and since there will soon be a pumptrack and some nice DJ sections of the trails they have some Kona DJ hardtails.

as for the trails, you are thinking the way everyone is thinking and trails are being cut at a feverish pace, machine work where posible without ruining the aesthetic qualities, hand built on the rest. Anyone the has built trails knows how grueling it is.

The "north face slope is being planned out and construction will begin in August. Yes, both faces will have killer trails, and the quality of trails will be on par if not better than what you are used to riding. Fun and Flow is where it's at. There will be something for everyone, and I will say that most of us will have fun riding it.

if you folks are in the area and I am on the mountain I would be more than happy to shoot the chit and show you around! PM me if you want. as I said I will be away from the mountain for a week on a beach vacation, but I will be back the 29th. drop me a line! I hope to see you all at the springs!

as a side note...
For those of you that have built trails before... I thought I was recovered, but I have had a relapse... I have the trail building addiction coursing through the veins again. I keep daydreaming about building...
Bek called me as I was on my way home, and asked where I was... I told her "on the turnpike" she said "where"... I told her "I don't know I was daydreaming" about what she asked... "this rock section we were working on, and linking it with a ladder bridge" I replied... she just sighed and said "you are daydreaming about trail building after working 10 hours on trail building..." she paused and then said "I will see you when you are home" and hung up chuckling... :crazy:

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Sounds good !!

I'll make the trip once you get some more work done.
Sounds like everything is being done A+ and Seven Springs is looking long term......this is good.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
diablo lookout i know that is a bold statement but i believe brungeman said it all...

They have the funds and the vision insight, and finally the right people building...

Brungeman and I will have continuous updates as we will both be there a few times a week from here on out.

_Bill

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
they may not have been talking out of their rear's so to speak, but they are not correct. 7springs has a line of Kona's including very nice DH/FR bikes and they have a fleet of XC bikes and since there will soon be a pumptrack and some nice DJ sections of the trails they have some Kona DJ hardtails.

as for the trails, you are thinking the way everyone is thinking and trails are being cut at a feverish pace, machine work where posible without ruining the aesthetic qualities, hand built on the rest. Anyone the has built trails knows how grueling it is.

The "north face slope is being planned out and construction will begin in August. Yes, both faces will have killer trails, and the quality of trails will be on par if not better than what you are used to riding. Fun and Flow is where it's at. There will be something for everyone, and I will say that most of us will have fun riding it.

if you folks are in the area and I am on the mountain I would be more than happy to shoot the chit and show you around! PM me if you want. as I said I will be away from the mountain for a week on a beach vacation, but I will be back the 29th. drop me a line! I hope to see you all at the springs!

as a side note...
For those of you that have built trails before... I thought I was recovered, but I have had a relapse... I have the trail building addiction coursing through the veins again. I keep daydreaming about building...
Bek called me as I was on my way home, and asked where I was... I told her "on the turnpike" she said "where"... I told her "I don't know I was daydreaming" about what she asked... "this rock section we were working on, and linking it with a ladder bridge" I replied... she just sighed and said "you are daydreaming about trail building after working 10 hours on trail building..." she paused and then said "I will see you when you are home" and hung up chuckling... :crazy:
Unfortunately, I do know what you're talking about. I've spent the last several weekend out in the rain with a pickaxe. The new line is barely rideable and I'm already planning out the next one.

unskilled

Monkey
Jul 12, 2007
my friend went today and said it was pretty sweet, new trail opened up since i've been.

i'm just glad to see it expanding. the thought that mountain biking is growing and more people are becoming interested makes me pretty happy.

i don't really care that seven springs isn't a diablo or a wisp or a snowshoe. its one more place and one more area that supports gravity mountain biking. i can't wait to go back.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
RELEASE: IMMEDIATE
TELEPHONE: (814) 352-2016
DATE: JUNE 26, 2008

EVENT ANNOUNCEMENT: SEVEN SPRINGS FREE RIDE WEEKEND

JULY 12 – 13, 2008

SEVEN SPRINGS, Pa. – Seven Springs Bike Park is pleased to announce the 2008 FREE Ride Weekend, July 12 – 13, 2008.

The Bike Park Crew has been building some sweet new trails in the Seven Springs Bike Park and would like to invite riders to come ride the park for FREE – That’s right, unlimited FREE lift tickets all weekend long! The high-speed, six-passenger chairlift will be running extended hours from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., July 12 – 13.

Additionally, there will be FREE bicycle test rides from Kona, Trek Factory, Trek WSD and Santa Cruz Bicycles. In addition to their standard fleet, Trek will be making a special delivery of 2008 Remedy and Session freeride bikes. All combined, there will be more than 100 bikes available for riders to test ride at no charge.

Riders can choose between a variety of chairlift-accessed trails ranging from entry-level cross-country trails to expert-only downhill and freeride trails. Plenty of flowy, fun and exciting trails for riders looking for a mild bike path to share with their family or an epic freeride trail complete with ladder bridges, rock drops, fall-line sections and 20+ foot jumps.

Of course, it’s also nice to have a good après ride party, so the Foggy Goggle Bar is the place for music, $2 drafts and a barbecue starting at 11 a.m. each day. And for riders who want to stay all weekend, there is a special lodging rate starting at $135 available for FREE Ride participants. On top of all that, Seven Springs is even giving away a new bike to one lucky rider.

How do riders get involved in the FREE Ride Weekend? Just show up at the Foggy Goggle bar on July 12 and 13 with the proper safety gear to ride the park and test ride bikes for FREE. Call (866) 437-1300 early to reserve your lodging, since the special rate is first-come-first-served and the hotel is almost full!

About Seven Springs Mountain Resort
Seven Springs Mountain Resort, located in Seven Springs, Pa., is the state’s largest ski and four-season family resort and was recently rated the number one resort in the mid-Atlantic region by the readers of SKI magazine. The resort is easily accessible from either exit 91 or 110 of the Pennsylvania Turnpike.

Seven Springs Mountain Resort can accommodate more than 5,000 overnight guests in its renovated 10-story high-rise hotel, nearly 1,000 condominiums and town homes, cabins and chalets.

For more information on Seven Springs, visit http://www.7springs.com or call (800) 452-2223.
Code:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
my post from last weekend, here is a few of us...

Like spurk said there should be some serious buzz in the burgh on this one, cmon people get out there!

7 springs is throwing crazy people money at this thing, it will be a destination on the east coast by end of summer, here are a few pics of us riding this weekend, i know where i'll be every single weekend this summer:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Just got off the phone with my brothers up on the mountain, over the week they have spent some serious man hours sculpting lips to SEND YOU....There are a bunch of shots of spangler blowing up the new lips on the site...

They are in the process of bending some metal for a satellite dish on top after the 4 big tables on the top... ill get some pics up soon

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
3 questions that depending on the answer might have me there for the FREE weekend... (if we can camp someone close for ultra cheap).

1. how much vert?
2. how many top to bottom trails?
3. is there a trail map?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
3 questions that depending on the answer might have me there for the FREE weekend... (if we can camp someone close for ultra cheap).

1. how much vert?
2. how many top to bottom trails?
3. is there a trail map?
You know it is embarassing i dont know the complete answers to these but ill try.

1. I believe it is about 1000 - 1200
2. 3 True Top to bottom trails at the moment should have 5 or so real soon here but that is deceiving, as there are multiple ways to link up the mtn.
3. The trail map is in the works

hope to see you

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
In addition to Whale's questions I add:

1. Is there more than one trail?
2. Is Kona Jeff buying my drinks?
3. Are there cougars about?
4. Are sombreros allowed?

DK
C
F,Md.
1. Oh yes, it is miles ahead of last year
2. I will be strong arming JW from kona into buying all of our drinks dont worry
3. regarding cougars, it is always a touchy subject with mountain bikers as we are all sensitive to the subject. While the resort cannot guarantee your safety from wildlife while riding i can tell you strides are being made to control the cougar population at this point. ;)
4. Sombreros are not only allowed but actually encouraged, does troy lee make one?

Last edited:

Arutha

Monkey
Nov 26, 2002
Western PA
You know it is embarassing i dont know the complete answers to these but ill try.

1. I believe it is about 1000 - 1200
2. 3 True Top to bottom trails at the moment should have 5 or so real soon here but that is deceiving, as there are multiple ways to link up the mtn.
3. The trail map is in the works

hope to see you
1. Probably closer to 500 feet, kind of like the short side at snowshoe. Laurel mountain ski resort boasts over 900 vert as the largest in the area. I'd say North face, the backside of 7springs, is around 750. You might be able to find that info on their website.

On a side note we were there today. Muck and more muck. Damn rain just won't stop.
I hope some trails are cut that are less groomed with that dirt/clay, it's slick.

Some nice loamy, rocky trails that drain well.

But aside from that, I love that we have a place close, and the current trails are fun as hell when they aren't slick. Personally I hope to see more of the flowy trails with jumps because no where else within a 3 hour drive has anything like it. Figure they'll be amazing come August when the rain stops....I hate rain.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
More updates from the park today...

They have 4 full trails open for shredding on the front side with a 5th mapped out which looks really sick, it's a dh style trail super flowy and fast.

Big news today was a pumptrack under construction right at the bottom of the alpine meadows slope, the idea is to have everyone park there, ride all day, hit the pump track and bike wash at the end. It all comes together really well. The pump track is coming together fast, the guys know what they are doing and i cant wait to get the hardtail up there.

Sounds like they have some huge plans for hits on the mountain like a possible wall ride and a shipping container gap on-drop off...

Here are some pics from today, i am pounded, we did a million runs so just some pump track stuff...

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Arutha, when were you there and what bike were you riding? You are correct… the stinking evening storms are killing me! I spent most of the day fixing drainage issues.

The trails started to tack up around 2 and by closing were running fantastic. The only problem is the sky looked ominous and as I drove home hit some ugly @$$ storms!

The elevation is debatable the front face is less than the North Face but the use of the land is really prime. There are basically 3 trails top to bottom and a fourth that uses small pieces of the other trails. There is the rough out of another trail and start on it will commence when the pump track is completed and the jump line at the top is done… OH and when the excavator crew can get back there and put in some huge boulders in for the section that traverses the side slope and for the switchback.

As far as Kona Jeff buying drinks…? Doesn’t he always? As long as you like Busch light you are in business! :rofl:

As far as the sombreros? We have a plethora of sombreros!

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
do i hear an echo...hahah...

Brunge, im probably going to have a shovel in hand soon, the corridor for the new trail looks fun as hell...

matt2991

penishead
Jun 12, 2006
About how far is Seven Springs from DC? I went skiing at Hidden Valley once and passed Seven Springs on the way. I think it was about 3 1/2 hours. Aslo Bill are you still riding the Bottlerocket?

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Are there any trails open on the backside......?
No the trails on North Face will be started in mid August if we get enough peeps on the mountain to show the higher ups that this gravity stuff is for real! Just think if we could have 7springs, Wisp, SnowShoe, Diablo etc. all doing gravity... what a great time in biking history! :biggrin: Imagine again if all the above mentioned mountains got into building wars and started throwing mad cash at the crews to build more trails!!! we would all really be winners!

and from the talk around 7-springs... you may see the 7 springs name on a Gravity East series list of host sites in the near future. :thumb:

Matt2991, I think you are correct I think that the last time I heard tale... the springs was about 3 to 3.5 hours from DC depending on where you are... :thumb:

Arutha

Monkey
Nov 26, 2002
Western PA
Arutha, when were you there and what bike were you riding? You are correct&#8230; the stinking evening storms are killing me! I spent most of the day fixing drainage issues.

The trails started to tack up around 2 and by closing were running fantastic. The only problem is the sky looked ominous and as I drove home hit some ugly @$$ storms!

The elevation is debatable the front face is less than the North Face but the use of the land is really prime. There are basically 3 trails top to bottom and a fourth that uses small pieces of the other trails. There is the rough out of another trail and start on it will commence when the pump track is completed and the jump line at the top is done&#8230; OH and when the excavator crew can get back there and put in some huge boulders in for the section that traverses the side slope and for the switchback.

As far as Kona Jeff buying drinks&#8230;? Doesn&#8217;t he always? As long as you like Busch light you are in business! :rofl:

As far as the sombreros? We have a plethora of sombreros!
I was there first thing Saturday. Ride an RFX but doubt you could tell with all the mud on it. Wish I still had my DH bike, sold it because Snowshoe was too far to drive all the time, figures two years later 7springs starts... and I bought a new xc bike last year so the RFX will have to do for a bit.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
I was there first thing Saturday. Ride an RFX but doubt you could tell with all the mud on it. Wish I still had my DH bike, sold it because Snowshoe was too far to drive all the time, figures two years later 7springs starts... and I bought a new xc bike last year so the RFX will have to do for a bit.
yep I know, I worked on the courses prior to the lifts opening and then went and opened the trails. It was soupy! I don't know how long you stayed, but, I can tell you that it really got nice after lunch!

if you saw an idiot with a shovel and a stupid blue hard hat on... that was me... :disgust1: one of the guys I work with is an X MP and he can be a stickler for safety! :bonk: I was riding a Raw Yeti AS-X when doing the trail checks :thumb:

I hope you had a good time, and if you see me up there stop and say hey!

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
About how far is Seven Springs from DC? I went skiing at Hidden Valley once and passed Seven Springs on the way. I think it was about 3 1/2 hours. Aslo Bill are you still riding the Bottlerocket?
I am not riding the bottlerocket but the next best thing, a blindside built up super light. My xc bike is a heckler and i didn’t need 2 5/5 bikes around.

The blindside is performing awesome, the bottle rocket was amazing just redundant for me at this point.

I cant see it being much more than 3 hours for you to get there, and the roads are great...270, 70, 76 allot easier to get to than 'other' resorts.

see you soon

be350ka

Chimp
Jul 5, 2007
Does anyone have any info on the trial conditions? I am coming out on Sat or Sun and see that there is some precip in the forcast, so I am wondering which day would be better.

How much rain does it take for the mountain to turn into a bog?

I NEED ANSWERS, DAMN IT!!!:)

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I will have trail conditions early tomorrow, should be a bit slick but the mountain really doest turn into a bog, some of the new jump areas get wet but brunge did alot of work in draining them last week after they saw where the water liked to hang out.

it hasnt rained much here in pgh at this point, I am assuming the mtn is the same.

it looks like sunday will be the better day at this point...email me at william.kirk@gmail.com, ill let you know as soon as i do

Arutha

Monkey
Nov 26, 2002
Western PA
I will have trail conditions early tomorrow, should be a bit slick but the mountain really doest turn into a bog, some of the new jump areas get wet but brunge did alot of work in draining them last week after they saw where the water liked to hang out.

it hasnt rained much here in pgh at this point, I am assuming the mtn is the same.

it looks like sunday will be the better day at this point...email me at william.kirk@gmail.com, ill let you know as soon as i do
I'd love to know the conditions as well. Also, has the new trails been opened up yet?