Quantcast

severly misinformed

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Echo said:
True :D

I guess it depends if he fishes to eat, or just fishes because he likes fishing :p
Well, I'm sure he's not sport-fishing.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
loco said:
The difference is, I don't infer knowledge in my ramblings. Maybe you should read them before you pull apart my psyche. :eviltongu
Maybe you should look up the definition of "infer" ;)

J

JRB

binary visions said:
Maybe you should look up the definition of "infer" ;)
OK - so maybe I do. However, I never give evidence for my ramblings.

To conclude from evidence or premises.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
loco said:
The difference is, I don't infer knowledge in my ramblings. Maybe you should read them before you pull apart my psyche. :eviltongu
Oh, I've read them...

They read like this :confused:
And this :mumble:
And this :help:

I'm trying to figure out where you think I'm pulling apart your psyche. On second thought, nevermind. Trying to understand your postings is generally a waste of time since they rarely make sense. :blah:

J

JRB

riderx said:
Oh, I've read them...

They read like this :confused:
And this :mumble:
And this :help:

I'm trying to figure out where you think I'm pulling apart your psyche. On second thought, nevermind. Trying to understand your postings is generally a waste of time since they rarely make sense. :blah:
BITCH!!!!!! :nuts: :D Thanks for noting that they 'sometimes' make sense.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
riderx said:
You're welcome. As the saying goes, even a broken clock is right twice a day! :evil:
Actually, I'd say loco is more of a month/day & military time combo clock. That is, only right once a year... ;)

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
riderx said:
Hahahahahahahahah! I'm surprised Sheldon even bothered to answer that poorly constructed, rambling email. Bow down before Sheldon!

You'd get a better return on your time investment if you spent a little more effort on learning how to write properly and less time trying justify DH to one of the world's most knowledgeable cyclists.
:stupid:

I've got to give Sheldon credit - *I* didn't read past the third line in bunny's pitiful attempt at communication....... WTF was that, anyway? :confused:

-S.S.-

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Transcend said:
You know who sheldon brown is right? Probably one of the best wheel building gurus on earth.

He is however, slightly out of touch with reality it seems. My DH bike got a motor when exactly?

And how exactly is this a sport and XC isn't?
There are TONS of XC races. Also, not all DH'rs race.
:confused:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
-BB- said:
And how exactly is this a sport and XC isn't?
There are TONS of XC races. Also, not all DH'rs race.
:confused:
That's just rhetoric. He's just a grouch who wants to call any gravity-related/lift-or-shuttle-assisted riding/sport/recreation "lazy." It's just how he is, and nothing's going to change that.

You mean you don't know people like this? Come on, you know tons of them, and they're not going to change.

He still knows a hell of a lot about bikes, and I frankly was impressed by the take-it-or-leave-it tone of his response. I'd expected something more opinionated and critical (although I'm suprised he responded at all).

MD

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
loco said:
Sheldon Brown is still a weird cat. I don't care how well he can build a wheel or a single speed. He is a rambler just like lovebunny was. His instructions are so vague sometimes, it appears he is covering up the lack of knowledge with ramblings.

That being said, lovebunny should find someone else in cycling to pick on, like lance maybe. :D
I don't know about vague. I used his site to lace up my first set of wheels. Except for a time when I double flatted when I hit a pothole with a fixed gear I haven't had to put the wheels in a truing stand and I have over 3k miles on them. Pretty good instructions this dude gives out.

Also, to those who are saying he hates DH and favors XC, you missed his point. The guy rides because he enjoys riding, he isn't a racer and he just seems to ride what he likes to ride. I chalk him up as one of the many crazy old dudes I've met in the bike industry(though I haven't met Sheldon, just asked questions through email) who happens to have a deep passion for the idea of riding a bicycle.

The Ito

splat

Nam I am
I know Sheldon Pesonally. and you have to understand he has been in the Buisness for over 30+ Years . He may see it as lasting 10 -15 years ( if things like Big bear Keep Happening ) but that is how he looks at it.

But you want to Bet if you brought him a DH Bike to work on it would work Better than it ever had.

But here Is a Picture from My newyears Day ride.

there is my son and right behind him ( who he had been talking to, before he turned for the picturte ) in the White Jersey Is Sheldon

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Sheldon spent 45 minutes trying to understand WTF lovebunny was talking about. Like S.S., I gave up after three sentences....or should I say sentence fragments.

MMcG said:
Maybe Mario Andretti's chief mechanic or something........read Sheldon's response again - doesn't seem like he's into racing (or team or individual "sports" ) at all.

Seems to him bicycles are more a part of how he lives his day to day life vs. most of us who ride for sport or excersise etc. etc.
Oh, there are a few more of us about, he's just more dedicated.

I think Sheldon's being silly making a distinction around downhill. My first ride down Snake Mountain was on a Puegeot UO-8, dropped bars, 27" wheels, skinny tires. Likewise, my first month or so of singletrack riding was on a touring bike, and I throw the Bob on the Joker to pedal into town to buy lawnmower gas.

If it has pedals, it's worth trying in any terrain. Purists of any flavor miss out on a lot.

J

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
lovebunny said:
ok guys sorry i cant form any complete sentences and that i dont know who sheldon brown is. but it doesnt seem like too much of a legend to me if he is so closed minded to other aspects of biking.
I actually responded to his post in the beginners forum saying basically the same thing as you, but more coherently. My opinion is that if it's got wheels and pedals it's a bike, the terrain you ride over doesn't make a bike any less of a bike, fine tuning a bike for a specific terrain doesn't change the fact that it's still a bike. He respectfully disagreed. From his screen name I'd have never guessed he's Sheldon Brown. I guess I join the ranks of Lovebunny as one who was p0wn3d by A close minded old coot. I've also had disagreements with Chris King so I guess I'm anti-biking or something.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Im actually with lovebunny and kornphlake on this one. I dont really give a crap who sheldon brown is or how long he's been working on bikes, in this matter he is just blatantly and obviously wrong. Downhill biking is a form of motorcycling?? That crap shouldn't even be dignified with a response, and is something I would expect from a 16 year old XC geek with a head injury. I once had someone who has been riding bikes since before mountain bikes existed tell me that dh racing would be better if they went back to hardtails. One day I may become grouchy and obsolete too (I already hate hardtails with dual crowns :D), and I hope someone will have the balls to tell me when I'm wrong regardless of how long I've been around.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
lovebunny said:
ok guys sorry i cant form any complete sentences and that i dont know who sheldon brown is. but it doesnt seem like too much of a legend to me if he is so closed minded to other aspects of biking.
Um, yeah, these statements sound real closed minded. :rolleyes:
For _me_ cycling is recreation and transportation, but that's not to
say that those who are into it as a sport are "wrong."
If that's your thing, though, that's fine with me.
Different strokes for different folks!

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
OK we have determined that lovebunny is not capable of comprehending what Mr. Brown is saying. But I'm surprised that Kornphlake and Hulk missed it so thoroughly. Did you guys even read the email at the beginning of this thread? Did you look at the discussion in the beginner's forum? Here's a hint: Sheldon Brown did not post on Ridemonkey. But if he did, he would be entitled to his opinion.

Honeywell

Monkey
Sep 21, 2001
Bellingham
I respect the guys opinion, and he does have a point.

He's not just saying DH'ing isn't a sport, he's saying "cycling" isn't a sport. That goes for XC and Road as well.

Do you think the people in Asia riding their bikes around everday think what they do is a sport? People race cars, that's a sport, I drive a car too, but I don't consider me driving a car a sport.

It all depends on where you're coming from.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I think people are getting too worked up over an insult. Lemme guess, you guys stare people down in bars, too. What he said might be ignorant, but it's also kind of funny that he'd say it that way. Just take it as a humorous jibe, the kind you might share with your brother who's a roadie. Make fun of his spandex or his tape-covered helmet, or just don't spend your lives stewing over what some geezer thinks of you and your sport. Sheldon is a cycling legend, for sure, and I for one respect him for that...but I'm not insulted that he thinks it's a brand of motorcycling. That's just stupid. Again, I say to Sheldon...go tell Hermann Maier that he's snowmobiling. Then I hope I get on with my life, or maybe get to go for a ride with the dude sometime.

MD

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Echo said:
OK we have determined that lovebunny is not capable of comprehending what Mr. Brown is saying. But I'm surprised that Kornphlake and Hulk missed it so thoroughly. Did you guys even read the email at the beginning of this thread? Did you look at the discussion in the beginner's forum? Here's a hint: Sheldon Brown did not post on Ridemonkey. But if he did, he would be entitled to his opinion.

I base my comments on the quote posted in the beginners forum:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_d.html#downhill

Downhill Racing
I consider this fad to be bad for cycling, and contrary to the spirit of cycling. It is effectively just a variant form of motorcycle racing, since the power is provided by the machinery that carries the rider and bike to the top of the run. Bicycling should be a human-powered activity, or it is not bicycling.
Tell me he's not saying that downhilling is a variant of motorcycle racing in his opinion. I find that to be a rediculous and close minded opinion. The email response from Mr. Brown didn't address the reasoning behind calling mountain biking a motorsport, of course neither did Lovebunny's email. I find the above quote from Sheldon's website to be misguided and close minded, and that's my opinion. If I were to say XC riding is more like driving a car than mountain biking, plenty of people here would call me close minded. Why should Sheldon be exempt from having his opinions criticized like the rest of us?

You are right though, I did misread the original post, I had thought that Lovebunny sent the email to UltraViolet and he responded as Sheldon Brown. Add me to the list of people owned by UltraViolet and take me off of Sheldon's list.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Kornphlake said:
Why should Sheldon be exempt from having his opinions criticized like the rest of us?
I suppose the fact that he stated that it was just his opinion, and everyone is entitled to theirs, just sounds a little more reasonable than "he's a closed minded old coot".

Buck Fever

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Hipsterville USA
TheInedibleHulk said:
I once had someone who has been riding bikes since before mountain bikes existed tell me that dh racing would be better if they went back to hardtails.
I hope that wasn't me. Although I am grouchy because I'm obsolete.

Buck Fever

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Hipsterville USA
TheInedibleHulk said:
It was Jay Murphy, and did you ever buy a tig welder btw?
Hah, Murph. No TIG for me yet. I'm going to wait until I buy a house before I burn my first one down. With any luck, Heather and I will be able to buy when we move to Portland.