Quantcast

Sewing Machine Thread

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
This is a thread about sewing machines. And thread. And threading sewing machines.

I am picking up a new (to me) machine tonight. Please say a silent prayer that I may not sew my fingers together.

It's a Brother DB2 B735-3 industrial straight lock-stitch machine. High speed, self lubricating. Capable of 5,500 stitches per minute. That's 91 stitches a second.

Tried it out last night. At full speed the needle literally hums a tune through the fabric. It moves so fast it makes a 90hz tone.

It'll punch right through most any garment fabric made. Not really good for heavy leather, but it'll eat up anything else.

w00t!

Looks like this one, but it's in nicer shape:

I can rock the home machine. I've made a bunch of cool things. Now I will be unstoppable.

First project: drum stick bag.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
For reference, this Brother machine is a tad faster than a Juki 5550:

:twitch:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
My mom has something along the lines of 5 industrial machines in her basement...They are her second set of children, and some have more horsepower than my car.

She runs her own dancewear business, so hey, I guess it's okay (even if she doesn't pay my college tuition, except not)...I'll take some pictures when I'm back over the horridays.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Finally picked it up last night. Needs a light cleaning and an oil change. None of the stores here have more than 4oz of sewing oil. This thing takes at least 24oz, probably closer to a quart after the new oil cycles through.

All cast iron, made in Japan:

1/2 horse power Mitsubishi clutch motor:

I love taking pics of old machines with my old lens:

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I would normally be yelling 'girly girl', but to be honest, my mother taught me to sew when I was a kid and I made the curtains in our chalet. I'm ok at basic stuff.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Note to self:

When tilting machine table to bolt on some temporary wheels, drain the oil pan first.

:disgust1:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Picking up an ancient walking-foot machine tomorrow. Nothing can stop me now.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I love Craig's List.

Consew model 18, straight stitch w/ walking foot.

It's old, it's a little rough, but it'll sew through just about anything.

$40.00

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Those would be great for my skinsuits. If I promise to clean 'em real well, can I stop by some time?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
WTF are you sewing?
Everything from clothes to heavy drapes to banners to video screens, etc. I am going to start on messenger bags and drum stick bags too. Also sound absorber panels and curtains for our studio.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Those would be great for my skinsuits. If I promise to clean 'em real well, can I stop by some time?
Dry skin, or is it still really moist? You need to buy your own damn needles, and I'd want the hook, shuttle race, dogs, both presser feet, etc all sterilized.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Holy sheep sh1t.

If you thought bicycle parts standards were all over the place, try needle systems for sewing machines. Especially older ones.

Anyone here have any 16X64 walking foot needles? No? Well neither does anyone else.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I'm guessing the band will be hitting the festival circuit next year in some stunning sequined jumpsuits.

raaaawwwwrrrrr.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Have you tried
http://www.a1sewingmachine.com/index.html

Ron is a great source for parts.
I can find 16x63 needles (regular point) but not 16x64 (wedge point for leather, vinyls, plastics, etc)

I think they are obsolete. The Consew machine is basically a clone of a Singer 16-188, circa the late 1950's.

Most walking foot machines of a similar capacity use a 135x17 (regular) or 135x16 (wedge).

I found some 16x63 needles on ebay. Size 24.

:D

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
I can find 16x63 needles (regular point) but not 16x64 (wedge point for leather, vinyls, plastics, etc)

I think they are obsolete. The Consew machine is basically a clone of a Singer 16-188, circa the late 1950's.

Most walking foot machines of a similar capacity use a 135x17 (regular) or 135x16 (wedge).

I found some 16x63 needles on ebay. Size 24.

:D
hmm, you should still drop Ron a line. He's never failed me yet.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
hmm, you should still drop Ron a line. He's never failed me yet.
I might do that.

The Brother machine work great for most any fabric, unless I have something too thick to fit under the presser foot, then the Consew can go right through that.

The Brother can't really do more than garment materials though. I am going to be sewing webbing and thick polyester film and HDPE and all kinds of other crap. The wedge point needles on the Consew would rock.

I love that thing. It's loud and NOT smooth. It sounds like the industrial revolution at work.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Servo motered Tacsew singer 111 class walking foot machine here. I sew leather, usually multiple layers of 2 - 6 oz chrome tanned and 6 - 10 oz saddle skirting.

H8R, an old machine is only as valuable as the parts you can find. There are planty of modern machines that can do what you need. (I assume you're not making shoes so you don't really need any super specialized machines like post beds, cylinder beds, McKays, etc) Sell a drum set and buy a new machine.

Last edited:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Servo motered Tacsew singer 111 class walking foot machine here. I sew leather, usually multiple layers of 2 - 6 oz chrome tanned and 6 - 10 oz saddle skirting.

H8R, an old machine is only as valuable as the parts you can find. There are planty of modern machines that can do what you need. (I assume you're not making shoes so you don't really need any super specialized machines like post beds, cylinder beds, McKays, etc) Sell a drum set and buy a new machine.
I actually ended up selling the Brother machine last week. Money is tight.

The Consew 18 was only $40 and aside from the original needle system, parts are readily available. It is essentially a clone of a Singer 16 class, so bobbins, bobbin cases, the hook, hook race, presser feet, etc etc are all still available on ebay and some online shops. It will sew through anything I need to put together. I found out I can use the common 135x17 and 135x16 needles on it, so I'm all set.

I am looking into throwing a servo motor on it though - it still has an ancient Dayton clutch motor that runs really rough. The clutch is super grabby no matter how it's adjusted. Even the cheapest servo motor would be an improvement.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Nice serger. I've got a baby lock 4/3/2 that's pretty bomb proof, but I have been lusting after a top loop serger for years. There's only one home model that does it ( pfaff 4874) or a commercial task-specific one.

I'd post pics of (family? quiver?) but I don't have the photo skilz you guys do.