Quantcast

Sewing Monkeys, I want to make a new tool bag.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I own a couple of PVC, canvas tool bags and they are both shit in different ways and what I want doesn't seem to exist.

I want to make a 2'X1' basic tool bag with a divider and rigid ends, I have one with rigid ends but the tool pouches are sewn flat which is dumb, the bag on the right in the pic leans over no matter how much you have in it and it makes the bag pretty useless.
IMG_20230517_205505.jpg

I'm thinking of either sewing in semi rigid plastic panels and having the seams on the outside covered with edge binding, centre divider could be sewn in or held in with hook and loop.
Another option would be to make up a small steel frame, make a bag that drops over it then sew the base in and edge bind it.
The bag would occasionally see around 80-90lb of gear in it.

Any of you guys have any construction suggestions?

Current rhombus bag-
1684322195774.png

Last edited:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Kydex sheet might be an option for easily-heat-molded rigid portions.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
If you lived closer then I’d invite you over to modify your tool bag with this sweet old Singer.

View attachment 193903
I'd steal your bikes and leave the bag, hahaha!
I'm eyeing off this thing but it is so freaking huge-
1684324165428.png

Currently only have a Bernina Activa 130 which is nice but is from the beginning of the plastic era.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I just moved my work gear into a new tool bag this AM. I've made several attempts and finally found one me thinks is gonna work. I carry tools and a service binder everywhere and my tool bag didnt hold the service binder. Climbing ladders with a binder in hand is a dangerous challenge and I am tired of putting my life at risk. Here is my latest attempt.

Hopefully this one will be with me for years.

Does this help? I dunno. Its not rigid but with the binder in there it is more rigid. I dont know about 80-90 lbs of gear.

I've got one of these I'll never use if you want me to mail it to you - Veto Pro Pac Tech Pac Backpack Tool Bag

cheers

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I just moved my work gear into a new tool bag this AM. I've made several attempts and finally found one me thinks is gonna work. I carry tools and a service binder everywhere and my tool bag didnt hold the service binder. Climbing ladders with a binder in hand is a dangerous challenge and I am tired of putting my life at risk. Here is my latest attempt.

Hopefully this one will be with me for years.

Does this help? I dunno. Its not rigid but with the binder in there it is more rigid. I dont know about 80-90 lbs of gear.

I've got one of these I'll never use if you want me to mail it to you - Veto Pro Pac Tech Pac Backpack Tool Bag

cheers
Why aren't you using the Veto? I only hear good things about their stuff amongst the electrician crowd.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Why aren't you using the Veto? I only hear good things about their stuff amongst the electrician crowd.
Its too big for my needs. It can easily hold more than I want to carry around. I had it for my last job - refrigeration/building mechanic. New job had way less tools but a stupid service binder.

OharaJ

Chimp
May 18, 2023
I own a couple of PVC, canvas tool bags and they are both shit in different ways and what I want doesn't seem to exist.

I want to make a 2'X1' basic tool bag with a divider and rigid ends, I have one with rigid ends but the tool pouches are sewn flat which is dumb, the bag on the right in the pic leans over no matter how much you have in it and it makes the bag pretty useless.

I'm thinking of either sewing in semi rigid plastic panels and having the seams on the outside covered with edge binding, centre divider could be sewn in or held in with hook and loop.
Another option would be to make up a small steel frame, make a bag that drops over it then sew the base in and edge bind it.
The bag would occasionally see around 80-90lb of gear in it.
I'd go with first option unless you want to also make padding for the frame, otherwise it might be too rough.
That stuff looks pretty awesome, wonder if it would be strong enough to make a base from?
I'm pretty sure you can if you have a heat gun(don't quote me on that but it looks so)

Upd. Talked to local folks that make holsters n stuff, they told me u need closer to 400degree heat gun to work kydex. So yeah you can def work with it.
Also apparently you can use stove or something according to this vid, not sure how good it is tho

Last edited: