Quantcast

Sexual Harassment and You.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I got in trouble once because I had printed a picture at work of Laura Croft and someone in the office was offended because she was exposing her legs and holding a gun.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
in my first year in the air force, i borrowed what i thought was some kevin costner vhs from this sgt in the dorms, but he "accidentally" recorded himself skeet-shooting over it. being the new guy, i told everyone else on my floor & we all watched it.

then i told the 1st sgt & nothing happened.

a couple years later, i told this 2-striper her ass was too big & shouldn't be eating cake, & she filed a complaint. because she was a dorm-ho no one liked, every witness got amnesia.

karma?

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Thats not too bad, did anything happen to you because of it? Just a stern talking to?

There is somebody at my work making super not ok comments about me and also keeps trying to spark up uncomfortable conversations with me. My other coworkers have even witnessed this happening to me.

I just had a meeting with HR. The thing is, I am not sensitive to this kind of stuff at all and I like to think I have a pretty good sense of humor. This person has taken things waaaaaay to far.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
if your company doesn't have a policy against bringing recording devices into the office, set a trap w/ your camera phone (insure you have a gig SD card to record extended/numerous conversations).

if it's your boss, go to your local LBS & place your order. tell them you need about 6-8 weeks to get the cash.

edit: oh yeah, nothing happened to me (but should have)

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I guess the person is a superior to me, but we aren't in the same work group at the company.

If it doesn't stop, things are going to get ugly I think. HR told me they will let me know what happens after the conversation with the person. And if there are ANY negative reactions/retaliations towards me, more steps would be taken.

My coworkers who witnessed these little conversations want to take a more violent route if things continue.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
since you met w/ HR, i'd give this by noon tomorrow to be resolved. it may not look like it, and the offender may not know it until the bat hits 'em in the teeth.

curious: was it generally inappropriate, or directed at you?

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Yeah, I'm just hoping it gets resolved without anymore problems. If there are anymore problems, it would take a lot to actually have legal actions that could get me cash huh?

The comments have always been specific to me. There has been some general comments made to coworkers, but nothing that is to the caliber directed at me.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Good call going to HR first. It makes for an ugly situation if they try and get shot down, then take revenge. I've seen it happen and it's no good.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
I was managing sales people and a woman filed a claim with HR stating that I discriminated against the women with higher quotas.

It took weeks and tons of spreadsheets, but the net of it was that, after all the analysis, the quotas for the women were actually LOWER.

I was so pissed that I wanted to explain to the team that this issue had been brought to my attention and that I intended to fix it by raising all the quotas of the women on the team. That got shot down.

Damn. I would have loved to see the idiot that brought it up squirm when everyone realized that she was the cause. Alas, that was a pleasure I never got to enjoy.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Some chica in third grade told her mother I touched myself in class. This, of course, was following the incident where she stabbed my hand with a pencil because I was a stinky boy that wore glasses. Needless to say, I was severely confused and didn't know why anyone would want to touch themselves.

Little cunt. I should file for psychological damages...

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
Some chica in third grade told her mother I touched myself in class. This, of course, was following the incident where she stabbed my hand with a pencil because I was a stinky boy that wore glasses. Needless to say, I was severely confused and didn't know why anyone would want to touch themselves.

Is this why you have a purple dildo now???

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side

Is this why you have a purple dildo now???
reading these posts is sexual harassment.

Mr Big

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
The Betty Ford Clinic
about two years ago i had a boss who was heterosexually challenged enough that you could light a cigarette off his flaming ass. He always made comments toward me and a couple of coworkers. Although i had thought about doing something about it, the situation was resolved when one of my coworkers had enough and hospitalized my boss and went to jail for assault.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Start wearing a bright pink thong on the outside of your pants.

Take the game five or six levels higher if HR doesn't give them a good and total cock slapping for you

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
You could always do what my wife did the first time one of her co-workers went over the line.

He made a half grab at her rack, she put her .45 to his balls and asked him to really consider his next move.

He ran screaming like a beat dog, and her boss promoted her.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I recently coached an associates out the door because he was a total dumb-ass.

Scenario: An early 20 something associate was having a private conversation with a few of her equally young & female peers. She asked them "guess what I have?" and the offensive idiot, who was passing by said "herpes?".

Maybe funny on TV but totally inappropriate in the work place.

I asked the offender to write down his version of the event to give me insight on the context of his comment. Total dumbass wrote down what he said along with a convoluted explanation of the context.

He's an idiot X2 because, once the words have been spoken, the context becomes irrelevant!

So... even though he didn't rub a stiffy past her in a narrow hallway, he did substantially contribute to a hostile work environment which resulted in reduced hours that starved him out of a job.

All because he was a dumb****!

So anyway... is this chick thats hitting on you in any sort of position to make it worth your while?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Oh... by the way, under no circumstances should you continue to discuss this matter or any action you might have taken with your coworkers. The right to confidentially of actionable offenses is implicit - you could seriously damage your credibility by discussing the actions that lead to your complaint.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
I never bothered to do or say anything about it though I was close. I had a boss at my last job who would come over to my desk right around lunchtime almost daily. He'd stand behind me looking out the window at the parking lot and comment on the women entering and leaving the building. I'm not saying I wasn't looking myself, but I kept the comments to myself, he didn't. I wasn't quite comfortable with that but I tolerated it.

Edit: This was just one thing he did, the guy is a complete slime ball and I'm glad to be away from him.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
The lesbians I worked with in Nashville said the most inappropriate things....but everyone who worked there had a sense of humor.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
at my last job, there was this other dude who also rode in & would unashamedly walk around the bathroom buck-ass nekkid. he had no shame or boundaries, yet he also knew any sexual harassment complaint would be DOA

kingbee

Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Ohio
Theres an older women that works in the shop that lets me know every day how much she thinks Im cute. She will make up any reason to hug me. Kind of creepy.

kingbee

Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Ohio
I see a harassment payment in your future.
The worst part is my boss' think its funny.

I think she got the hint somewhere in the 2 year mark that I don't want to play along. If I see her I just say "Hi" and keep walking.