Quantcast

Sh!t that I just dont understand...

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
The appeal of-

Aerosmith (See below comment regarding AC/DC)
the Cars (Shit, just shit.)
Eagles (Easy listening pablum that is only good when you are too stoned to chage the cassette)
Tom Petty (Whinly, weird lyrics. Overoverover rated. Plus my asshole brother is a big fan)
Steely Dan (What?)
The Rolling Stones (Most overrated band in EVER!)
Dave Matthews Band (After Jerry died, I was looking for solace and a new band to follow. DMB aint it.)
Styx (Crap)
The Police (Crap.)
Journey (Crap, only good for making 80s HS girls cry after 1 Bartles & Jaymes)
The Doors (Jim Morrison, the original whiny child of privilege)
AC/DC (Is it just me, of does every damn song sound the same?)
Social Distortion (See above comment)
Rev Horton Heat (See above comment)

The Kardashians and their ilk. All of them. And for that matter, any type of celebrity worship.

Quantum mechanics/string theory. However, I am closer to understanding this than ANY of the above.

///end rant///
I agree with a lot of what you mentioned above except a few. I'm a big Social Distortion fan for 20+ years and AC/DC is always great for a drunken bar/party/karaoke sing along. You say that their songs all sound the same, but I listen to mostly punk, ska, metal, hardcore, and reggee so that's what most people say about the bands I listen too lol.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Who do I like? The Clash...The Who...Dropkick Murphys...The Pogues...The Mahones, Colin James, Leftover Salmon, The Rumjacks, Ed Kuepper, The Real MacKenzies, The Killigans, Frank Turner, The Tragically Hip, Flogging Molly, SRV, Webb Wilder, The Surf Punks, Seis Cuerdas, Los Lobos, Los Straitjackets, Stiff Little Fingers, The Go Set, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, the Sugar Hill Gang, Wu Tang...and other assorted bands I have tried to impart to you heathens through the "What are you listening to" thread.

And yeah...the Grateful Dead.

Supertramp...Jethro Tull...Led Zepplin...Phish...Nirvana...KISS...Lynard Skynard...sucksucksuck. I can go on, but at the risk of being labeled grumpy I will refrain.
You got some good Celtic punk bands in there. But I already knew that from your "What are you listening to" thread posts and likes :thumb:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
How did Social Distortion end up on that list? That is some of the most genuine rock on earth.

I never got the Beatles. The Monkeys had a show AND an awesome car.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Aerosmith (See below comment regarding AC/DC)-Real old stuff had some promise. It delved into ballots and simply got worse and worse as it went through the 80s, 90s and '00s. Listen to Kings and Queens.
the Cars (Shit, just shit.)-Kind of boring, agreed for the most part.
Eagles (Easy listening pablum that is only good when you are too stoned to chage the cassette)-Yeah, I kind of see a lot of this genera, some from the 70s, some from the 80s, to just be the "death" of rock and roll. It's what you listen to when you give up and don't care anymore. Sure, they cranked out some melodies, etc., but ultimately boring.
Tom Petty (Whinly, weird lyrics. Overoverover rated. Plus my asshole brother is a big fan)-Same as above. Real simple songwriting/riffs, mostly boring. There are two songs I think I like, but the rest are cringe-worthy.
Steely Dan (What?)-I don't understand why bands like this and Chicago get lumped into rock. They ain't. Call them jazz, easy listening, whatever, but rock they ain't.
The Rolling Stones (Most overrated band in EVER!)-I dunno, they have a pretty big catalog and a lot of varied stuff we don't hear every day, not greatness, but solid R&R.
Dave Matthews Band (After Jerry died, I was looking for solace and a new band to follow. DMB aint it.)-Squeaky non-singing mofo.
Styx (Crap)-They admit they torpedoed their careers with song and pop choices. Kind of in that weird transition between the 70s and 80s where everything was kind of fake and just stupid for no purpose. Think 1980 heavy metal and rock pioneers that stripped back to basics to compare with whatever the F was going on with Styx.
The Police (Crap.)-Sting can sing and they can hold some pretty amazing beats. It was kind of a reggae-fusion into rock and it worked pretty well. Half of it was Sting's good looks though.
Journey (Crap, only good for making 80s HS girls cry after 1 Bartles & Jaymes)-Again, props to someone that can sing damn well. I think this stood out more from the REO Speedwagon and other crap that was advertised at the same level. There was a level of authenticity to it...
The Doors (Jim Morrison, the original whiny child of privilege)-Voice was ok, had some good tones, but I agree, way over-hyped and not nearly as great as it's made out to be.
AC/DC (Is it just me, of does every damn song sound the same?)-But have you seen Angus playing and dancing at the same time ripping out some impressive solo? This is the heart of R&R and not all of their songs sound the same...just a lot do. They don't stray too far from their formula, but there are still some good subtleties in there.
Social Distortion (See above comment)-How does a punk fan discount "Don't Drag me Down"? Kind of a rockabilly and punk fusion for the most part, but again, some good stand-outs within their own defined range. Went to see them in Flagstaff a few years ago.
Rev Horton Heat (See above comment)-No (good) comment.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
While some of this music is crap now, it might not have been when it was new. I’m too young to know for most of it. After hearing it most my life I’m sick of it. So it sucks now. The eagles always sucked though, and the Grateful Dead.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
(Prepare for unpopular opinion in America):
I like a lot of late 1990s/early 2000s era Trance music because of reasons, mostly associated with experiences, but years later it is played out for the most part. However I found Piers Baron the other day and I am appreciative of this blend of trancey, rocky, breakbeats somethings. YMMV unless you liked The Prodigy and artificial stimulants in college.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
(Prepare for unpopular opinion in America):
I like a lot of late 1990s/early 2000s era Trance music because of reasons, mostly associated with experiences, but years later it is played out for the most part. However I found Piers Baron the other day and I am appreciative of this blend of trancey, rocky, breakbeats somethings. YMMV unless you liked The Prodigy and artificial stimulants in college.

Isn't this just straight up Synthwave what he is making?

gottobefree

Chimp
Feb 5, 2021
I don't understand how we can be 1 year into a pandemic and wearing masks, yet some people still do not comprehend that it should cover your mouth AND nose. It's really not that difficult.
These people are the absolute worst lol. It's like they think it's a chin warmer or something

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
AC/DC (Is it just me, of does every damn song sound the same?)-But have you seen Angus playing and dancing at the same time ripping out some impressive solo? This is the heart of R&R and not all of their songs sound the same...just a lot do. They don't stray too far from their formula, but there are still some good subtleties in there.
yea, their music is nothing complicated but they are very very good at it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Social Distortion (See above comment)-How does a punk fan discount "Don't Drag me Down"? Kind of a rockabilly and punk fusion for the most part, but again, some good stand-outs within their own defined range. Went to see them in Flagstaff a few years ago.
i lost interest in social D when mike ness decided to take them on a nostalgia cash grab tour

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I understand why there are so many unfriendly or grumpy people out in the forest.

We're all out there to enjoy the outdoors, don't be a poopoo head and not say hi back or look disgusted that you have to share a trail with someone else.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
i lost interest in social D when mike ness decided to take them on a nostalgia cash grab tour
As the years went on, I
Made a few mistakes it was a
Trouble bound for this young
Man. The police knockin' at my
Door, "Well he don't live here no
More, and he's playin' in a rock 'n'
Roll band."

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Let me qualify something about Social D and Horton Heat.

I love the energy, the musicianship and the beat...its simply that everything they sing is about the same damn subject. Ness sings about how tough his childhood was and what a badass he has become despite the fact that he has had no luck at all, and HH sings about losing his wife, his car, his dog and his toothbrush, even the Hendrix poster on the wall.

Diversify a bit folks. Townshend wrote about how shitty, dysfunctional and weird his life was, through a haze of sexual confusion, brandy and amphetamines. Figure it out...

gonefirefightin

free wieners
what I really dont understand is the current trend in Country like hick hop and the likes of florida georgia line and all the current mating calls soundtracks of mud crickets. Hell, the music I listened to growing up and playing on cassette and vinyl is now considered classic? I may be turning into JBP yelling at kids to get off my lawn soon.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
what I really dont understand is the current trend in Country like hick hop and the likes of florida georgia line and all the current mating calls soundtracks of mud crickets. Hell, the music I listened to growing up and playing on cassette and vinyl is now considered classic? I may be turning into JBP yelling at kids to get off my lawn soon.

I would say quality music has become a lot harder to find in every genre. With music streaming services people stopped buying physical music and revenue in the industry has plummeted. As a result record companies aren't willing to take chances on new music and just attempt derivatives of whatever the last new successful thing is. In addition you can tell there has been a drastic cut to production quality trying to reduce costs. You don't have bands anymore, you have personalities with shitty simple tracks looped in the background. I once talked to a guy who was into making his own music, he stated how great modern technology was, he could produce a song on his i-phone. And it sounds like a lot of new stuff was produced on an i-phone.

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
I would say quality music has become a lot harder to find in every genre. With music streaming services people stopped buying physical music and revenue in the industry has plummeted. As a result record companies aren't willing to take chances on new music and just attempt derivatives of whatever the last new successful thing is. In addition you can tell there has been a drastic cut to production quality trying to reduce costs. You don't have bands anymore, you have personalities with shitty simple tracks looped in the background. I once talked to a guy who was into making his own music, he stated how great modern technology was, he could produce a song on his i-phone. And it sounds like a lot of new stuff was produced on an i-phone.
People that are signed with labels are at the mercy of who signed them. There are a few younger artists that refused label records because the record wanted them to do pop country, because that's what's popular. Country has been waning with the growth of millennials and Gen Z, who have turned to modern hip hop, pop, rap.
FGL brought that sound to "Country", and after they became popular within country, everyone started to move towards that. I was in high school when FGL become popular, and i definitely remember hearing the shift after they got big.
Even before that though, it was different than the "Outlaw" country of the mid to late 1900s. I wasnt alive to see that transition, or i was too young to care.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
People that are signed with labels are at the mercy of who signed them. There are a few younger artists that refused label records because the record wanted them to do pop country, because that's what's popular. Country has been waning with the growth of millennials and Gen Z, who have turned to modern hip hop, pop, rap.
FGL brought that sound to "Country", and after they became popular within country, everyone started to move towards that. I was in high school when FGL become popular, and i definitely remember hearing the shift after they got big.
Even before that though, it was different than the "Outlaw" country of the mid to late 1900s. I wasnt alive to see that transition, or i was too young to care.

Pop-Country is one of those aesthetic genres I referred to earlier.

Never liked country but I will get down to some blue grass. Check out Billy Strings, that kid is the future.