Quantcast

Sh!t that I just dont understand...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
People that are signed with labels are at the mercy of who signed them. There are a few younger artists that refused label records because the record wanted them to do pop country, because that's what's popular. Country has been waning with the growth of millennials and Gen Z, who have turned to modern hip hop, pop, rap.
FGL brought that sound to "Country", and after they became popular within country, everyone started to move towards that. I was in high school when FGL become popular, and i definitely remember hearing the shift after they got big.
Even before that though, it was different than the "Outlaw" country of the mid to late 1900s. I wasnt alive to see that transition, or i was too young to care.
Reminds me of the mistake I made the last time I went to get an MRI.

"What kind of music do you like?"

"Um, lets go with 'heavy metal'"

So they go to their spotify or whatever the hell it is and enter that and then what plays, fucking nickleback and enter sandman. All the fucking pop metal I never wanted to hear. I had decent results the next time when I went in and asked by name for a more obscure band, but still, it's that fucking idea that I want to hear the same fucking pop song again and again and again....

Also reminds me of the first Beastie Boys record, the one they didn't want to make, but the record label wanted them to make the "safer" choice...

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
Pop-Country is one of those aesthetic genres I referred to earlier.

Never liked country but I will get down to some blue grass. Check out Billy Strings, that kid is the future.
He sounds good. I have family from West-Virginia and a lot of them used to play blue-grass.

heavy metal..........nickleback
Sorry, you had to go through that!

:panic: :agree::ban::wtf:

There is one group i just found recently, Silo, they just released their 3rd song.
They arent terrible, they are kind of a Rock/Country mix.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I would say quality music has become a lot harder to find in every genre. With music streaming services people stopped buying physical music and revenue in the industry has plummeted. As a result record companies aren't willing to take chances on new music and just attempt derivatives of whatever the last new successful thing is. In addition you can tell there has been a drastic cut to production quality trying to reduce costs. You don't have bands anymore, you have personalities with shitty simple tracks looped in the background. I once talked to a guy who was into making his own music, he stated how great modern technology was, he could produce a song on his i-phone. And it sounds like a lot of new stuff was produced on an i-phone.
Not to mention that damn near everything mainstream is a bunch of superfluous drivel cranked out by a team of songwriters then shipped out to whomever has the right image for that particular song. It just feels cheap and unauthentic, like the Qdoba of Mexican food.

Also, while we are piling on pop-country, let's not forget the antiquated and derogatory ideas about women that a lot of these songs (and the country music industry as a whole) espouse.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Reminds me of the mistake I made the last time I went to get an MRI.

"What kind of music do you like?"

"Um, lets go with 'heavy metal'"

So they go to their spotify or whatever the hell it is and enter that and then what plays, fucking nickleback and enter sandman. All the fucking pop metal I never wanted to hear. I had decent results the next time when I went in and asked by name for a more obscure band, but still, it's that fucking idea that I want to hear the same fucking pop song again and again and again....

Also reminds me of the first Beastie Boys record, the one they didn't want to make, but the record label wanted them to make the "safer" choice...
I mean, nickel is a heavy metal...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Not to mention that damn near everything mainstream is a bunch of superfluous drivel cranked out by a team of songwriters then shipped out to whomever has the right image for that particular song. It just feels cheap and unauthentic, like the Qdoba of Mexican food.

Also, while we are piling on pop-country, let's not forget the antiquated and derogatory ideas about women that a lot of these songs (and the country music industry as a whole) espouse.
The art of saying highly inappropriate things in very subtle ways is also dead. I am pretty sure at least 10% of Red Hot Chili Pepper songs are about anal and most people don't even realize it.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I always listened to off the wall shit. Hell my first Concert was the New York Dolls....that was an eye opener. The Pandoras, PIL, Black Flag, Anthrax, The Ramones.... fuck those were good shows. I can't stand pop or country or most rap for that matter

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I don't understand why music is no longer the voice of people's anger with the countries political system. Fucking R.E.M. was more revolutionary than anything today.