Quantcast

Shadow+ derailleur and suspension movement

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I don't feel any difference with the clutch switched on or off. That's on my Yeti SB-66 which doesn't have much chain growth.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
started to think about how does this stiff derailleur affect the suspension?
It doesn't. I understand what you're thinking, and I'm sure on some decimal level there is a change, but it's not one any human without a pre-existing dent in his head would feel. Think of it in terms of making the two springs move by hand, derailleur vs shock. It's too big of a difference to matter.

Shadow+ is rad, by the way. I'd love a Saint derailleur with it on my downhill bike. The cost of XTR makes it only fit for my xc bike right now though, until SLX is available. The derailleur action is stiffer, but being a SRAM guy for the previous 6 years, which has a defined clunk upon shifting, I thought it was actually nice. The noise reduction was more noticable than the shifting action though. It definitely works.

Last edited:

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Folk are still racing 224s at Wworld Cups and you're worrying about a slightly stiffer derailleur spring?

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
That's what I supposed, but I have never fiddled with a Shadow+ derailleur so I have no idea how stiff it is.
But now that I think about it more, you have to be able to overcome the spring force with your thumb and a small lever, so it can't be that stiff.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I've been told, that if you measure the distance between the ground and the bottom end of the Shimano Shadow SGS cage and Sram SS cage, you get like ca. 2cm of the difference... Shimano SGS cage is just tad closer to the ground.
That is way I am thinking about XT or SLX Shadow+ SGS RD for 2013 :)