jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Me too as I only need them once every full moon. The first job will be a good test - I want to move a Luftkappe to a different air spring shaft and that is not a supported operation by Vorsprung.
i work with PETG for components for my job, but was not aware you could 3d print it. but in general i agree for the occasional job it will likely be fine.

RNoksDesigns

Chimp
Nov 22, 2020
i work with PETG for components for my job, but was not aware you could 3d print it. but in general i agree for the occasional job it will likely be fine.
Hey Jon and the rest of the board. I am the creator/maker of the orange PETG clamps on eBay. It has been as a fun covid distraction, and so far feedback has been great. Full disclosure here - I have had 3 complaints, 1 return. One person broke his by hammering on it "like an anvil" (his words) - I hooked him up with a free replacement (well, he bought a replacement and I gave him a free steerer tube clamp tool I make that he wanted which is worth a little more). I have had 2 people have trouble with the shaft spinning in the smaller diameters. One person made it work with sliding a latex glove over it, the 2nd guy did not respond to that suggestion and I refunded him. Cleaning the surfaces with alcohol also seems to help. To date I have sold something like 150 pairs of these - not to boast, just to show relative sales to complaint %.

Do check out DBerndt's post earlier in this thread. He makes some awesome CNC versions. I will never pretend to say mine are as good as those. I just thought for the average home-gamer a cheap clamp could really push someone to give it a go and do the service on their own, and will work well enough. I have had a few shops buy one of everything I make, which has been pretty cool. I spent almost 20 years in the bike industry (been out for 6 years now), and no longer get a shop to pay for tools I use!

Similar to DBernt, I am trying not to be that obnoxious used car salesman, but since they were mentioned to the thread, I felt I could add a little knowledge for you all. Info I gathered from this thread and other was a big help in creating these, so thanks to everyone in this thread.

Slimy Sales Pitch - for those who want to learn more, I do have other bike and tool products for sale. They are found on Etsy and eBay under the same user name as I have here. Find me on Instagram under same name where soon I will get some things posted. I have a few things in the pipeline that I think people will like.

Cheers,
Ryan

Feb 20, 2021
Hi Ryan, I notice all your Etsy products ship to the UK except the grip damper clamps.
Please can you let me know if you can ship to me?
Thanks
Rich

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Sort of useless to post at this point, but I actually made a pair of these a few weeks ago. Decided to go with v-grooves for flexibility...never really needed a ton of clamping force for anything bike related in my experience anyway. Delrin to keep things damage-free. Large grooves at the end through 1/2 the length for clamping steerer tubes for fork rebuilds.
IMG_20210313_002442265_resize_33.jpg
IMG_20210313_002433695_resize_19.jpg
IMG_20210313_002513237_resize_32.jpg

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
It would depend on what diameters/radii you'd be looking for really. Our little machine shop I have access to has a Bridgeport and a clusterfuck assortment of bits/end mills in a range of new to unusable, so I work with what we got, unless I need something specific and order it. Since I did it manually, machining v grooves was a lot easier as it was a single 45deg taper mill, indexed over and cut in 1/4" increased depth increments.

If you want round, I could do any radius/diameter of typical end mill diameters up to 1.5" diameter, in 1/16" increments. If you want metric or oddball sizes, that would require ordering mills or more thinking on my part. But if you wanted say 1/4", 3/8", 3/4", 1" etc, that's easily doable.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
It would depend on what diameters/radii you'd be looking for really. Our little machine shop I have access to has a Bridgeport and a clusterfuck assortment of bits/end mills in a range of new to unusable, so I work with what we got, unless I need something specific and order it. Since I did it manually, machining v grooves was a lot easier as it was a single 45deg taper mill, indexed over and cut in 1/4" increased depth increments.

If you want round, I could do any radius/diameter of typical end mill diameters up to 1.5" diameter, in 1/16" increments. If you want metric or oddball sizes, that would require ordering mills or more thinking on my part. But if you wanted say 1/4", 3/8", 3/4", 1" etc, that's easily doable.
Let me take assessment of the sizes I'd need based on suspension inventory.

jsma09

Chimp
Jul 14, 2021
What's the DHX 5.0 (coil) shaft diameter? Is it 10 mm? I just know it's slightly smaller than the RC4

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
bump! Has anyone used @RNoksDesigns's shaft clamps or Park AV-5?

DVO told me that the plastic shaft clamps wouldn't work for my Jade X service and suggested the aluminium Park Av-5 instead. I was looking to get Rnok's clamps but this got me thinking about what would be the best. I am also ocd about scratching the shaft and over-tightening the clamps so whichever would be the best at not doing that would be the best for me haha! Thanks for any feedback!

gonefirefightin

free wieners
bump! Has anyone used @RNoksDesigns's shaft clamps or Park AV-5?

DVO told me that the plastic shaft clamps wouldn't work for my Jade X service and suggested the aluminium Park Av-5 instead. I was looking to get Rnok's clamps but this got me thinking about what would be the best. I am also ocd about scratching the shaft and over-tightening the clamps so whichever would be the best at not doing that would be the best for me haha! Thanks for any feedback!
Once I got a 3d printer I started making my own for everything and dont even use alum anymore.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Well I received the Park ones and they are full of burrs. I didn't feel like sanding it and paying for this quality so I'll return them. I just ordered a kit from @RNoksDesigns which seem perfect!
Park-AV5.jpg

Last edited:

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Yikes. That's too bad. I have a fair number of Park tools, some dating back quite a while and they're mostly decent quality, although a few have been truly bad.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
No big deal. Honestly, I've only had good experiences with Park tools before this one, and I have quite a few of them! It could have been filed to make it work, but I preferred to support RNoksDesigns instead. Cheers!

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Zombie bump, found this, will try one of the sets.
Zombie bump #2 - these don't work that great when heat is involved. Removing the foot stud from a 36 air shaft for Secus installation requires clamping force >> these can provide.

bikewcm

Chimp
Feb 23, 2022
My brother and I make the aluminum clamp StiHacka has pictured. I had to register just because I saw it :).(thanks for the business btw). If any of you guys has a good suggestion of other clamp combos to make or if you can help me out with sizes i could half the price of new product for you. Or free if it's a huge help! We live in Nebraska so the bigger travel stuff is not common. We have 140 travel bikes for vacation and several xc bikes but that's about it. Plus I'm cheap and generally have 4 year old parts or older.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I don't know if you can produce bushing-burnishing tools, but if you can, many of us would like a cheap home-mechanic option...

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
My brother and I make the aluminum clamp StiHacka has pictured. I had to register just because I saw it :).(thanks for the business btw). If any of you guys has a good suggestion of other clamp combos to make or if you can help me out with sizes i could half the price of new product for you. Or free if it's a huge help! We live in Nebraska so the bigger travel stuff is not common. We have 140 travel bikes for vacation and several xc bikes but that's about it. Plus I'm cheap and generally have 4 year old parts or older.
Thanks for checking in! I only needed the 10mm clamp so far but it is good.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i've been needing a proper set of shaft clamps. yours look quite nice and the price is good too. let me check what sizes I would need based on the forks I have (as I do have primarily longer travel forks).

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Also, once you say "Shaft Clamps" to yourself in your head in Fred Schneider's voice, to the tune of Love Shack, it will never leave you.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Your clamps look sick! If you're willing to make one for DVO stuff (30, 25, 20, 14 and 10mm) like the Rnoks, I'd be interested! With those size one could do his fork and shock with only one shaft clamp. DVO have such awesome detailed service manuals that many people do their own services.

Last edited:

bikewcm

Chimp
Feb 23, 2022
I don't know if you can produce bushing-burnishing tools, but if you can, many of us would like a cheap home-mechanic option...
I made a burnishing tool so time ago and while it worked for my own stuff itseemed janky, I would have to use a nice one to see what they were like.