Quantcast

Shaft clamps

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I made a burnishing tool so time ago and while it worked for my own stuff itseemed janky, I would have to use a nice one to see what they were like.
I have the Fox and Ohlins bushing tools. You push them in and out. Probably the same as yours. I have multiple sizes for the Fox one. Normal and race.

How did you make yours? I bet a tool post grinder on a lathe would make a decent one pretty quick. I set up my lathe to try and make one for a 38. I need to get some bar stock today at lunch.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
@MikeD which ones are you reffering to ? Rnoks' plastic clamps or the aluminium ones?

I haven't used my Rnok's yet but I thought that if I did, I'd sand the 3D printer lines into the cavities to get more grip. It looks so slippery and the lines are not perfeclty aligned so I can see the shaft slipping.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Attempted to 3-d print some shaft clamps to disassemble a Charger RC damper. I forgot how much fairly solid chunks of Polycarbonate warps and it started to pull up from the base about 30% into the print and had to abort early. Still worked. Slipped at first but applying a little paint buffing compound gave it enough friction and isn't abrasive enough to do any damage.

Surprised to see a lot of nicely machined parts in the Charger RC damper as the only noticeable compression damping is via backflow through the LSR port. A solid shaft with no piston surrounded by high viscosity grease would probably do a better job.

Last edited:

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Just make your shaft clamps out of scraps of wood. I was going to 3d print some for myself before I remember that wood is even more non-marring than plastic.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Those plastic ones I have still fucking suck.
If they are slipping try the buffing compound trick. That made my half baked piece of shit go from not working, to working just fine. I am guessing fine clay would also work.

Something I have seen done when using vice grips to not damage a surface is to apply a thick layer of hot glue on vice grips, lightly clamp until it hardens, then tighten for grip. Same process could work with shaft clamps.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I had a block of 6061 leftover from a camera mount project I just drilled a hole in and ran a bandsaw down the middle of.

When I looked up the cost of real clamps from a moto shop I shot myself in the head for how stupid that was since they're so cheap.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
go by the diameter you need

they're out there, just not by mtb part name
Found some S-Tech stuff. Base plate 76€, every single diameter insert 24€. This ends up way above the fox multi diameter clamps.
Also no 22.6 mm available.

Do you happen to have some product names that are cheaper?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Found some S-Tech stuff. Base plate 76€, every single diameter insert 24€. This ends up way above the fox multi diameter clamps.
Also no 22.6 mm available.

Do you happen to have some product names that are cheaper?
I just search for bore size

race tech and motion pro are some moto options

dont know what you culd use for 22.6mm besides a 23mm clamp

check ebay too, lots of machinists will sell suff if they know theres a need

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
22.6 is pretty close to 7/8ths. Close enough that it should work. I’d definitely use a 7/8th drill bit to make one.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I just search for bore size

race tech and motion pro are some moto options

dont know what you culd use for 22.6mm besides a 23mm clamp

check ebay too, lots of machinists will sell suff if they know theres a need
Thanks, will have a look dor those.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
This guy has a ton of shaft clamps and suspension specific stuff for bike & moto.
Prices are pretty good.

Plastic shaft clamps are shit.