Quantcast

Share the Road license plate

chinkerjuarez

Monkey
Oct 18, 2006
Englewood, CO
I don't think the problem is cars sharing the road I think the problem is with road bikers that don't share that road that think they own the road. I have no problem for road bikers I just have a problem with the ones that ride in the middle of the road that won't get out of my way and they insist and staying there and impeding traffic. A car would get a ticket for this. If you want to act like a car then go as fast as a car and obey all the traffic laws. I am tired of watching you guys blow through stop signs and red lights. I ride on urban rides all the time, road or on my mountain bike, but I don't impede traffic I respect cars like I am supposed to. Isn't the rule that slower traffic keep right and let faster traffic pass on the left? Isn't it the same thing on a trial? Share the road yeah great idea I just hope road bikers will share with my car. Sorry this just bugs me.

chinkerjuarez

Monkey
Oct 18, 2006
Englewood, CO
BIG difference between sharing the road and what you're suggesting. Which is share the lane.

Would you try to pass a vespa or small motorcycle in the same lane?
No I wouldn't try to pass a vespa or small scooter in the same lane, but there is a difference between these and a guy pedaling a bike down the middle lane of broadway weaving in and out of cars and blowing thorough stop lights. Yes you should be allowed on the the road to ride, Stay to the right leave enough room to pass you that is all I ask. A guy on a vespa if he is sitting in the fast lane and won't move out of the damn way then he needs to follow the same rules as I am telling a road biker to do. DON'T IMPEDE TRAFFIC. That is all I ask. I once saw a guy who was way to far out into the street on his Fuji Team RC that much have been new. On broadway and Alameda in between the middle and right lane between two cars I might add. He was riding with about 10 buddies that were lined up right behind him, he was leading the pack. Well he must not be good at clipping in because he missed the pedal slipped off swearved into a car next to him when we was trying to take off. Luckily no one was hurt but this could have been serious. If he wasn't in the middle of the road then he wouldn't have hit anyone. He would have swearved into traffic a little bit but wouldn't have dented anyones fender. Like the person that got killed in Boulder that was run over at a stop light. A really experienced rider missed a clip out fell underneath a person's truck and was killed. Deemed accident not driver's fault as it should be. Stop blaming only the driver also it has a lot to do with the mentality of the riders. Some of them think they own the road and think that if a car hits them the car is automatically at fault, this mentalilty needs to change. i am not saying it is always the riders fault, because there are stupid driver's too, but I see more inconsiderate riders than drivers.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
No I wouldn't try .....:spam: ..... Yes you should be allowed on the the road to ride, Stay to the right leave enough room to pass you that is all I ask. ....:imstupid: ..... DON'T IMPEDE TRAFFIC. That is all I ask. I once saw a guy who was way to far out into the street on his Fuji Team RC that much have been new. .......
There are campaigns that want riders to stay IN the road. Drivers that try to pass a biker that is close to the edge actually cause more accidents than those in the middle of the road. IF a rider is in the middle of the road, then YOU have to consiously pass them when its safe.

You must be a teenager... because talk like this is moronic... just like teenaged driving.

:imstupid:

chinkerjuarez

Monkey
Oct 18, 2006
Englewood, CO
How about not a teenager. How about an accountant with a Master's degree and a CPA, that is what I am. I don't care if you ride in the road. Don't hog it and get over when I am trying to pass you. You are slower traffic you yield to faster traffic. If you are slower moving you get over.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
How about not a teenager. How about an accountant with a Master's degree and a CPA, that is what I am. I don't care if you ride in the road. Don't hog it and get over when I am trying to pass you. You are slower traffic you yield to faster traffic. If you are slower moving you get over.
once again:

A. The law states that your thinking is incorrect. In Colorado, this was officially declared so on July 1, 2004. In the USA in general, most states have had these laws in effect for many years.

2. What you're suggesting is DANEROUS to all involved.
Danger > Inconvenient

You are flat out wrong and if you don't change your thinking, you're going to kill someone and spend years in jail.

chinkerjuarez

Monkey
Oct 18, 2006
Englewood, CO
Have you ever seen the signs that state "Slower Traffic Keep Right" These are white signs aka "regulatory signs" such as a speed limit. If you are treating your bike like traffic then obey the traffic laws. Speed limit, stop signs, street lights. All of them. No one has challenged me on these issues so I guess everyone agrees with me that they are tired of seeing bicyclists blow through stop lights and stop signs.

chinkerjuarez

Monkey
Oct 18, 2006
Englewood, CO
Danger is not greater than inconvenient if that is true then they would never raise speed limits they would only lower them. Your argument is also flawed so come at me with a better one.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Have you ever seen the signs that state "Slower Traffic Keep Right" These are white signs aka "regulatory signs" such as a speed limit. If you are treating your bike like traffic then obey the traffic laws.
By definition, one vehicle per lane spaced at one car length per 10mph. You cannot have two vehicles side-by-side in the same lane. This applies to motorcycles too.

As such, you are, by law, required to safely exit your lane completely to pass someone, whether they are in a car or on a bike, motorized or not.

Please read the laws as it's obvious you have not.

chinkerjuarez

Monkey
Oct 18, 2006
Englewood, CO
Then why do you guys that ride motorcycles and bicycles all the ride ride right next to each other, and share lanes this is what bothers me and what I have been getting at all the time. You guys will ride 2 or 3 a breast. Now I can pass one biker by himself safely on the left. But when you are sharing a lane, as you stated you shouldn't, then that creates problems.

chinkerjuarez

Monkey
Oct 18, 2006
Englewood, CO
I am not saying run you guys off of the road. I never said that I want to run you guys off of the road and I never said anything about dangerously passing people. I just want road bikers to share the road as much as you guys want cars to share the road.

chinkerjuarez

Monkey
Oct 18, 2006
Englewood, CO
Well I am sorry but if I am going up a mountain pass and the speed limit is 30 and a gaggle of road bikers are pedaling up the mountain at 10 mph per hour and they won't let me by because they are hoggin the road that is going to piss me off and I am going to start honking to get them out of my way. Now you want to talk about dangerous that is dangerous travelling at that low of a speed. All it would take is a car coming around the corner and running into all of them to cause problems. Stay to the right respect the laws yourself and watch for cars. I am not saying that drivers shouldn't watch for you, they should, but its more dangerous if you are way out in the street. All it takes is a car travelling the speed limit coming around a blind corner to take a dozen of bikers out. Traveling to far underneath the speed limit can be just as dangerous as traveling way over the speed limit

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Then why do you guys that ride motorcycles and bicycles all the ride ride right next to each other, and share lanes this is what bothers me and what I have been getting at all the time. You guys will ride 2 or 3 a breast. Now I can pass one biker by himself safely on the left. But when you are sharing a lane, as you stated you shouldn't, then that creates problems.
i'm glad you're willing to be educated...

July 1, 2004 Law -- right or wrong -- says it's ok for cyclists to ride side-by-side when there are two or more lanes going in the same direction.

Motorcyclists still aren't allowed.

That doesn't mean motorcyclists don't, just talking about laws. I've pulled up alongside friends on my motorcycle to chat at a light. Yes, it's illegal.

Do you ever speed? If so, then you really don't have a solid position to claim that others shouldn't break/bend the laws either.

Well I am sorry but if I am going up a mountain pass...
Now, here's where the law is critical, as well as danger>inconvenient.

And this is where roadies say, "take the lane". And here's why...

Mountain and canyon roads are typically narrow. If a roadie does not take the lane, then what happens -- a lot more often than you'd think -- is that a scared and timid cyclist stays right, car tries to pass through a curve, on-coming car forces passing driver back fully into his lane before he completely passes cyclist... and accidentally, unintentionally pushes him off the road.

If you're caught, that's a felony, so we have injured cyclist and arrested driver. Two lives damaged cuz the driver couldn't wait for a safe passing zone.

Law agrees with this thinking and I even pulled over a cop who got on his loud-speaker on a mountain road to tell me to stay right. Not even cops know all the laws.

My point?

There are many valid and logical reasons for riding the way we do, so if you don't know 'em, just assume there is a reason.

Now, this isn't valid for running red lights, etc. Cyclists do get ticketed by the cops regularly.