Quantcast

Share your bike adventure rigs

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I'm sure there are some cool ones here. I'll start. My beloved 2002 4Runner Sport Edition. 210k and runs like a top. For those that speak Toyota, has Tundra TRD progressive/906 coils with 5100s, Tundra brake upgrade, B&M transmission cooler, BFG KO2 on FJ wheels. Nothing special but has been the base camp for loads of fun and mischief and has hauled several prominent monkeys all over NC and beyond in search of fun trails. Keeping it until it catches fire and explodes.

Posing.
FullSizeRender (4).jpg

Beech Mountain parking lot epicenter of stupidity.
AEEBC8C4-AF74-4B13-B8D1-0861E392CF57.JPG

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001

33" BFG AT KO2 on Tundra wheels in non-winter months, 32" Nokians on the OEM wheels in the winter. It works and keeps my butt warm.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Used to have a fun one...

Now its just a toaster on wheels (the thing in the background :D)...

I've now owned 3 consecutive blue hatchback manual vehicles.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
I couldn't bring myself to "like" the Matrix but it deserves a "useful" for sure. :D

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack

33" BFG AT KO2 on Tundra wheels in non-winter months, 32" Nokians on the OEM wheels in the winter. It works and keeps my butt warm.
Bad ass. What year? I have a strong desire to own an LC. Really love the 80s and if ever I could get a clean one it'd be hard to resist. That said, I would really like that 4.7 V8 from the 100s.

Used to have a fun one...
I also have a strong desire to at least have an affair with a WRX, specifically the wagon form. I think I'm a truck guy at the end of the day but once in a while it'd be fun to be able to hit 60 in under 8 seconds. Why'd you make a change?

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
@canadmos desired better gas mileage, I believe. Long commute + long biking drives.

My LC is a 2007, last of the 100 series. AHC, AVS, 5 speed, variable timing, and every option in the book. I bought it from the first owner, a realtor, and had two unsolicited offers at trailheads this summer to buy it from me.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Bad ass. What year? I have a strong desire to own an LC. Really love the 80s and if ever I could get a clean one it'd be hard to resist. That said, I would really like that 4.7 V8 from the 100s.

I also have a strong desire to at least have an affair with a WRX, specifically the wagon form. I think I'm a truck guy at the end of the day but once in a while it'd be fun to be able to hit 60 in under 8 seconds. Why'd you make a change?
As @Toshi mentioned, that thing was a pig on gas. It was costing me $70-80 per tank and I was filling it 3-4 times per week. Fun car though. It was absolutely unbeatable in the winter. As much grip as you want or as little as you want if you give her the beans.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Thanks man, it's been a fantastic car. My dad had one when I was younger and I always loved it. When I found a clean one it was a no brainer. They are pretty slow, but my maint costs have been tiny compared to a car payment and I'm pretty sure I could sell for what I bought for.

If you are serious about buying a 3rd gen, you should read this. Super useful!

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/82033-3rd-gen-4runner-buyers-guide.html

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
don't think it qualifies as a rig...maybe a whip?
g37s manual + rwd ftw. no mods. 75k miles. fun to rally on twisty gravel roads. currently in the shop though, as the slave cylinder on the clutch shat the bed yesterday.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
don't think it qualifies as a rig...maybe a whip?
g37s manual + rwd ftw. no mods. 75k miles. fun to rally on twisty gravel roads. currently in the shop though, as the slave cylinder on the clutch shat the bed yesterday.
And pretty smooth to boot on those twisty bumpy roads. :brows:

And the back seat is a great sandwich holder. :D

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I actually looked at one point and the asking prices for cars with 200k miles were still over 10k. Insane. I think Honda can't help but do stupid things like build the Crosstour and kill the Element.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Here's my Honda. It is a very fun little truck to drive with its turbocharged VTEC and torque vectoring. (the RDX has nothing in common with the CRV)

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Those things hold their value better than Subaru's. I was looking at them when I sold the WRX and all of them were still 10k+ and ALL had over 200km. Crazy.
see FJ cruiser idiocy...

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
^^^ I think I've seen that view. Element? @jackalope had one forever and it was awesome. It was called The Smellement (obviously).
Yup, it's an Element. I call it the Toaster. It's orange. Cops love it. One verbal warning, one written warning, two speeding tickets. Will not buy orange again.

Other than being a cop magnet, it's been an awesome vehicle for mountain biking.

But if you're Speed Limit Challenged, then I recommend a mini van with tinted windows. I drove one like a DH crazed maniac to races and only got pulled over once or twice and let go each time. Cool cars stick out, but a stealth soccer mom look-a-like can get away with anything.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
View media item 2866
I've had new car fever for awhile but it would cost over 30K to get the Crosstrek I want... I'm a firm believer in not financing anything that depreciates so no new car until bonus time hits big again. Plus its pretty hard to find a standard transmission these days and small engines need a manual to be any sort of fun.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I've had new car fever for awhile but it would cost over 30K to get the Crosstrek I want... I'm a firm believer in not financing anything that depreciates so no new car until bonus time hits big again. Plus its pretty hard to find a standard transmission these days and small engines need a manual to be any sort of fun.
i do not miss driving a manual transmission....although if one had been available when i bought my wagon i would have bought it.

but when i put my foot to the floor the 5cylinder/6spd auto get things going pretty quick.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I bought another racing Honda. It was cheap. And so am I. I can continue to hate its proven reliability for years to come.... My Bike easily fits in it.... I already have the brake tool. A code reader, and a crows foot wrench and filter clamp to properly change the oil.

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Love that 4runner @SuboptimusPrime wife and I are considering one if we get a second car.

@Adventurous to the white courtesy phone please.
You rang?

20160529-IMG_1402 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

2015 Tacoma double cab long bed. It's decently built at this point with a lift, tires, armor, on board air, and some other funsies. Best part is the mattress in the back for mobile shenanigans, makes camping quite easy.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
My new rig.... So nice picking up a your new wagon and it only has 6km on the clock! :D
Korean built Ssangyong from a Mercedes design.
The arse end is a bit ugly but I've been surprised and how good it goes!
rear tray's on the small side but I've still managed to get 7 bikes into the tray (6 across the tailgate pad and another side on between them and the cab) and another 2 across the back seat.

IMG1761.jpg

Last edited:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
i do not miss driving a manual transmission....although if one had been available when i bought my wagon i would have bought it.

but when i put my foot to the floor the 5cylinder/6spd auto get things going pretty quick.
CVTs are far less responsive... I currently want to convert a Transit into a mini camper and keep it packed and ready to roll. If I do that I will look for used at a price I can just pay for.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I've hated every cvt I've driven. Read that some were more tolerable than others, think it was Hondas new ones.

I look forward to a day when keeping a fully packed campable van makes any sense for me...years to go on that.