Quantcast

"Shark Tracker" migration site

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
After spending vacation on the Cape and hearing about all the Great White sharks lurking about (and missing a shark attack by a day or so), I found this site Kind of geeky, but very fun: http://sharks-ocearch.verite.com/

A couple of large females were radio tagged this past weekend and were sent on their way around the Cape. It's not a "killing hours" site, but it is fun to see where these big fish roam.

Tagging either "Mary Lee" or "Genie" off of Cape Cod this past weekend:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Wow, nice find. Assuming that all the tracked sharks are Great Whites, it's interesting that none of them are hanging out around the Farallon Islands - which may simply be due to the time of year (i.e. no seals).

DORO

Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
definetely cool. I live near to the cape and surf out on the NSS all the time. Understanding migration patterns and where they are is definetly nice to know. They tend to hang out by monomoy mostly and inside of
chatham. Those guys have huge cahones jumping the flat bed with those fish. Mary lee is a big bitch!

Last edited:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Wow, nice find. Assuming that all the tracked sharks are Great Whites, it's interesting that none of them are hanging out around the Farallon Islands - which may simply be due to the time of year (i.e. no seals).
I don't know too much about it but I'm pretty sure there are different great whites out here in the Pacific. I could be wrong but if these were tagged in the Atlantic I don't think they make it out to the West Coast.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I don't know too much about it but I'm pretty sure there are different great whites out here in the Pacific. I could be wrong but if these were tagged in the Atlantic I don't think they make it out to the West Coast.
Yeah, I think you're right, although for some reason I thought they migrated a lot further than people originally thought. But it seems the Farallon gang likes to bounce back and forth between Hawaii - which is pretty far when you think about it, but certainly not making a round trip around the blue sphere.

I wonder if anyone has made a shark app for smart phones? Thinking about going for a dip at Cape Cod? Check the shark app first and see where said 2 ton monster is loitering before heading to the beach. Although it looks like there are places in South Africa you just have to assume they're around 24-7.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Yeah, I think you're right, although for some reason I thought they migrated a lot further than people originally thought. But it seems the Farallon gang likes to bounce back and forth between Hawaii - which is pretty far when you think about it, but certainly not making a round trip around the blue sphere.

I wonder if anyone has made a shark app for smart phones? Thinking about going for a dip at Cape Cod? Check the shark app first and see where said 2 ton monster is loitering before heading to the beach. Although it looks like there are places in South Africa you just have to assume they're around 24-7.
Cape Cod app= See a seal? See a shark!

DORO

Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
Yeah, I wonder if anyone has made a shark app for smart phones? Thinking about going for a dip at Cape Cod? Check the shark app first and see where said 2 ton monster is loitering before heading to the beach.
Its part of my routine now. First I check swellinfo. If the waves are up on the cape then I check if genie pinged in.
If she pinged then I go to rhode island.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle

I recall reading something about certain groups seeking separate protection for different pods of great whites around the world. The argument was that they are distinct enough to warrant protection based on the limited number of each group rather than the total.

This book is a good read:

C.P.

Monkey
Jan 18, 2004
SouthEastern Massachusetts
Cool shark app. I grew up in E. Orelans, about a mile from Nauset Beach; I've spent many many days on the waters off Chatham fishing & boating. You want to find sharks, just look for seals...they have taken over, that is for sure...chathamseals.jpg