Quantcast

Sharkbait...

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
In my travels over the world the last 5 years ive seen some truly amazing stuff and done some pretty awesome things...
I never really posted any photos of my trips, but I spent last winter in Australia where I made one of my childhood dreams come true, Cage Diving with Great White Sharks.
The only thing Ive done that was more impressive then this was sail across the Carribean on a 15ft sailboat through some pretty epic storms and probably the most gorgeous beaches in the world (San Blas Archipellago), but thats another thread :D

However, I was so impressed by these animals that I thought id share some photos with my fellow monkeys.

These are all taken in front of the Neptune Islands off the coast of Port Lincoln, South Australia.
The company was Calypso Star and even though it was the most expensive one, i can definitly recommend them to anyone whos ever lucky enough to go on a trip like this...

The day started out with a small briefing.

They showed us some medium sized "Jaws" to get everyone excited, i was definitly impressed.

The view off the deck proved to be great later in the day when the actual sharks were around. At one point a couple of 5m Great Whites were swimming around the boat checking out what was for lunch that day.

Prepping the chum to lure the sharks in, the only company with a license to do so in south Australia.

Didnt take long before some big boys showed up...

Enter the cage.

Close Ups on request!

Say Hi :D

Never felt scared, just really impressed by these magnificent creatures. The cage was obviously for protecting the sharks in case they wanted to pick a fight with me. With all the weight I put on in Oz they must have thought Id be quite the catch :D
All in all a truly awesome day and a great experiance, if u ever have the chance, go for it!

Last edited:

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
My manliest moment ever was reaching for the hand of the girl next to me and comforting her, whilst shark cage diving.

We were in South Africa and the whole day was so nice that it seemed bizarre that the whole reason we were on this beautiful boat ride was to get in the water with some of the finest hunting machines ever created.

As we were lowered in everything was going fine, the water was kind of murky though so when the shark did it's first pass for the bait it was as though a large shadow was in the distance and then suddenly, there was a shark turning right next to us, its tail just missing the cage.

At this point the girl I was with (who I had a bit of a thing with) started to flip out and was trying to swim up and out of the cage which was not only impossible, but ruining the view for the rest of us.

I reached for her hand, pulled her to my side and pointed at the shark as though we were at a petting zoo and I was pointing out the donkeys.

Later she thanked me for turning a traumatic experience into an incredible one and I ****ed her really hard.

True story.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Have you done much scuba diving? If you enjoyed the cage, you'll love the feeling of being able to actually swim around and explore properly.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Have you done much scuba diving? If you enjoyed the cage, you'll love the feeling of being able to actually swim around and explore properly.
I got my license (open water diver) last year so havent done much diving yet.
Definitly like it though... Thinking about going back to latin America next year and probably do some more diving there.
Havent bought any gear yet cause i have more then enough expensive hobbies as it is!