Quantcast

Sharpton to Bill Clinton: 'Shut Up'

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Sharpton to Bill Clinton: 'Shut Up'
http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2008/01/sharpton-to-bil.html ^ | 28 Jan 08 | Political Radar blog

Posted on 01/28/2008 12:19:35 PM PST by seanmerc

ABC News' Rick Klein Reports: Rev. Al Sharpton on Monday weighed in on the raging debate inside the Democratic Party over former President Bill Clinton's advocacy on behalf of his wife's campaign, with two choice words for the former president: "Shut up."

On ABC's "The View," Sharpton said voters are hearing "race charges, race-tinged rhetoric" in the Democratic primary campaign, and called on the former president to cease.

"I think it's time for him to just be quiet," said Sharpton, who was a Democratic presidential candidate in 2004. "I think it's time for him to stop. As one of the most outspoken people in America, there's a time to shut up, and I think that time has come."

Sharpton didn't say which comments in particular bothered him. But many Democrats were particularly upset that the former president made an explicit comparison of Obama's campaign to Jesse Jackson's victories in South Carolina in 1984 and 1988, in an apparent attempt to explain why his wife didn't win the South Carolina primary on Saturday.

For his part, Jackson told The New York Times that he wasn't bothered by the comparison. Still, he told the newspaper that he had spoken to both Obama and President Clinton over the weekend, and told both to "take it to a higher ground."

"I think it's time for him to just be quiet," said Sharpton

Monkey
I remember people say old Bill was the first "black president."

So if he beats the snot out of Sharpton for the dissing, would that constitute as "hate" crime?

FOr that matter, why was Bill the first "black president?"

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Well old Al might have been a dickhead in the past but I think his comments were pretty fair here. Bill did put his foot in it from all reports and was told to pull his head in.
It's somewhat patronising for white politicians to expect that Obama will automatically get the black vote, subtext being that they (black voters) are not sophisticated enough to look beyond the appearance and vote on substance. If I was black, I'd be pissed off at that sort of bs as well.

J-Dubs

Monkey
Jul 10, 2006
Salem, MA
I remember people say old Bill was the first "black president."

So if he beats the snot out of Sharpton for the dissing, would that constitute as "hate" crime?

FOr that matter, why was Bill the first "black president?"
I watched the Daly Show too.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Well old Al might have been a dickhead in the past but I think his comments were pretty fair here. Bill did put his foot in it from all reports and was told to pull his head in.
It's somewhat patronising for white politicians to expect that Obama will automatically get the black vote, subtext being that they (black voters) are not sophisticated enough to look beyond the appearance and vote on substance. If I was black, I'd be pissed off at that sort of bs as well.
Lucky for Bill your not sophisticated enough to be black then. :D

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
sharpton's an idiot. we keep saying how progressive the democrats are, then he makes it easy for me to make thinly veiled racist posts like above.

most racist comments, it seems, are funny not b/c they're witty (again, see above), but b/c they're uncomfortable to hear in polite company. big al is complicit in perpetuating this moral serpitude -- err, excuse me -- terpintine.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
It sickens me to say this....

I agree with Sharpton on this one.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
the new struggle for white liberal seeking political power in this election is black vs brown.

while liberals love to divide people by race and by wealth. that's how they stay in power.

But ObamammaamamaOprah is half black and the race card goes to them as far a the black vote. The fight is for the latino now.

Monkey
the new struggle for white liberal seeking political power in this election is black vs brown.

while liberals love to divide people by race and by wealth. that's how they stay in power.

But ObamammaamamaOprah is half black and the race card goes to them as far a the black vote. The fight is for the latino now.
And Richardson dropped out because.....

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan

Perhaps Al should tell you to button it too as you're making the same patronising whimperings Bill made. Sure some black people are going to vote for Obama because he's black, some women will vote Hillary because she's a woman, others for Huckabee because he's a Christian but that line of reasoning is so simplistic as to be meaningless. Who does the black Christian woman vote for? Underestimating the sophistication of the electorate, despite all the snide remarks on RM (yes I'm guilty), is done at peril of being spectacularly wrong.
I've personally never voted for someone because that person is "one of us", why do you think black people won't think the same way? Al was right, stop treating black people like they're children.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Despite living through the 'Al Sharpton Poughkeepsie, NY Invasion' of the 80's (the Tawana Brawley debacle....) I have to agree with old Al on this one!

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Al Sharpton Emerges from Burrow, Declares One More Year of White Guilt

It's become a tradition. On the 22nd day of every January, the Reverends Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson crawl out from their respective burrows. If they don't see their shadows, it means that Dr. King's Dream is yet unrealized, and White America must spend another year flagellating itself for the sins of slavery. If, on the other hand, their shadows do appear, then Dr. King's Dream has at last been realized, and both of these well-respected Black leaders will fade into obscurity.

Sadly, Al Sharpton's elusive shadow was a no-show again this year. Dr. King's Dream, it seems, is still unrealized.

"There are many who have said we are beyond race," Sharpton explained to the disappointed crowd. "But what happened in Jena reminded this country you still have not dealt with the problems of racism."

Sharpton was, of course, referring to the infamous "Jena Six" incident in which six African-American students ambushed and beat a White teen unconscious, then continued to kick and stomp him until they were arrested like common criminals. To the astonishment of everyone, the Black students all faced counts of second-degree attempted murder, while the White boy was never charged - neither for the rape of Tawana Brawley nor for the aforementioned sins of slavery - sins which he has yet to atone for by sending Al Sharpton a check.

So yes, even though Hillary is poised to become our first Black Female President, I'm afraid that we have yet to realize Dr. King's dream of an America where gangs of Black teenagers can brutally assault White kids without any legal repercussions. Until we do, please continue to make your checks payable to the National Action Network or the Rainbow/Push Coalition.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
You were doing so well with the opinion thing you had going there N 8, as asinine as they were. Pity you had to spoil it by regurgitating racist clap-trap masquerading as satire like this. Been hanging out at Stormfront.org have we?

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
are you suggesting race-baiting isn't sharpton's stock-in-trade?
I'm saying N 8's cut and paste was vile racist bullsh*t, typical of the poster. Al's failings, both real and imagined, have been discussed elsewhere. Suffice is to say I was not the only one, as far as this thread is concerned, to think Al had a point.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
I'm saying N 8's cut and paste was vile racist bullsh*t, typical of the poster. Al's failings, both real and imagined, have been discussed elsewhere. Suffice is to say I was not the only one, as far as this thread is concerned, to think Al had a point.
the racist parts i view as vile were true (making them vile) and owned by big al, whereas the other racist parts were birthed from reasonable cynicism, and were only accidentally racist.

i assume you know the relevant chain of events in jena, ja? and the background behind tawana brawley, actions for which he's yet to apologize?

as far as shutting n8 down b/c "Al's failings, both real and imagined, have been discussed elsewhere", might want to bring that up w/ loopie, who started this threshing. big al is nothing more than an opportunistic attention whore, pimping himself without a shred of dignity.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
the racist parts i view as vile were true (making them vile) and owned by big al, whereas the other racist parts were birthed from reasonable cynicism, and were only accidentally racist.

i assume you know the relevant chain of events in jena, ja? and the background behind tawana brawley, actions for which he's yet to apologize?

as far as shutting n8 down b/c "Al's failings, both real and imagined, have been discussed elsewhere", might want to bring that up w/ loopie, who started this threshing. big al is nothing more than an opportunistic attention whore, pimping himself without a shred of dignity.
Sorry no amount of frother spin or obfuscation can disguise this as anything but the basest racial invective.
So yes, even though Hillary is poised to become our first Black Female President, I'm afraid that we have yet to realize Dr. King's dream of an America where gangs of Black teenagers can brutally assault White kids without any legal repercussions.
I'm sure the bloke was trying to be all hip and ironic but seems to have failed. Anyway a bit of research suggests it came from here www.blamebush.typepad.com . Make up your own mind.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Sorry no amount of frother spin or obfuscation can disguise this as anything but the basest racial invective.
blamebush said:
So yes, even though Hillary is poised to become our first Black Female President, I'm afraid that we have yet to realize Dr. King's dream of an America where gangs of Black teenagers can brutally assault White kids without any legal repercussions.
sorry, i missed where there was an outcry from the black community about toni morrison's knighting of bill clinton as the first black president. could it be that she's black? here's a paragraph from her famous column knighting (or indicting?) him as black:
African-American men seemed to understand it right away. Years ago, in the middle of the Whitewater investigation, one heard the first murmurs: white skin notwithstanding, this is our first black President. Blacker than any actual black person who could ever be elected in our children's lifetime. After all, Clinton displays almost every trope of blackness: single-parent household, born poor, working-class, saxophone-playing, McDonald's-and-junk-food-loving boy from Arkansas. And when virtually all the African-American Clinton appointees began, one by one, to disappear, when the President's body, his privacy, his unpoliced sexuality became the focus of the persecution, when he was metaphorically seized and bodysearched, who could gainsay these black men who knew whereof they spoke? The message was clear "No matter how smart you are, how hard you work, how much coin you earn for us, we will put you in your place or put you out of the place you have somehow, albeit with our permission, achieved. You will be fired from your job, sent away in disgrace, and--who knows?--maybe sentenced and jailed to boot. In short, unless you do as we say (i.e., assimilate at once), your expletives belong to us."
i find it disturbing that blacks can tar their own kind & get a pass, but when reminded of a given label by a (presumably) white columnist/blog, liberals start beating the drums of racism.

and as far as the purposeful misrepresentation of dr king's peaceful message, this is cynicism, not racism. it is not presented as perceived truth

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Suffice is to say I was not the only one, as far as this thread is concerned, to think Al had a point.
Isn't it possible that one loses the "right" to say anything when they've talked so much crap for so long?

Right or wrong, people need to ignore Sharpton.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Isn't it possible that one loses the "right" to say anything when they've talked so much crap for so long?

Right or wrong, people need to ignore Sharpton.
**** Loopie, we can't even ignore N8 on that basis, what's the chance of it happening with anyone who has a real platform?