Quantcast

Shaun Palmer wins 2nd KOM

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
So I was just watching the Jeep King of the Mountian boarder-X.
SP won and he won the first race of the season too.
If I heard right he is undefeated - he has won every heat and both of the races so far this year.
Not bad for an old guy!

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Hell Yeah!

Way to go Big Caddie!

Old?!... he's not THAT old... (of course if one were around 30, one would be apt to say such a thing...)

:biggrin:

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
hell yeah , napalm needs to pick up a bike and start racing again. since the whole motorcross thing didn't work out for him. he's greatly missed in the biking world.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
He actually made the Oly team the day before he blew his achilles by winning a World Cup....then the next days comp dusted it.

I have been working at the Jeep KOM winter events on the operation crew and have seen all of his races, he is so much faster out of the gate then the other guys it's crazy....during his heat races he goes just fast enough to win or advance but finals time he just runs away!

Palm is way more mellow then before...he's been through a lot and i think has a new perspective on life, he's not nearly as cocky as he used to be and he's thankful for his opportunity.

i doubt he'll be back to bikes...he is way to focused on Olympic gold.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
He actually made the Oly team the day before he blew his achilles by winning a World Cup....then the next days comp dusted it.

I have been working at the Jeep KOM winter events on the operation crew and have seen all of his races, he is so much faster out of the gate then the other guys it's crazy....during his heat races he goes just fast enough to win or advance but finals time he just runs away!

Palm is way more mellow then before...he's been through a lot and i think has a new perspective on life, he's not nearly as cocky as he used to be and he's thankful for his opportunity.

i doubt he'll be back to bikes...he is way to focused on Olympic gold.
That's is REALLY good to hear. From what I've gathered Palm has been through some rough stuff but it's good to know he's coming out the other side with a different perspective.

Hey - if he ever DOES want to get back into DH, there is a guy in the UK who built a near EXACT replica of his 98' white Spesh FSR, complete with Manitou dual crown. :biggrin:

There was a write-up of the build in DIRTmag issue #70. Pretty sweet.

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
Honestly, and this may just be my own opinion, but I think Palmer brought the cocky attitude to the sport that is needed!!! He was like mtb/dh's own Bob Hannah or Ricky Johnson. He talked the talk and walked the walk. He was what the sport needed at the time. Seems guys like Hannah, Johnson, Palmer.....even Jason Lawrence of today......are mis-understood at the time, but revered after their gone.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Honestly, and this may just be my own opinion, but I think Palmer brought the cocky attitude to the sport that is needed!!! He was like mtb/dh's own Bob Hannah or Ricky Johnson. He talked the talk and walked the walk. He was what the sport needed at the time. Seems guys like Hannah, Johnson, Palmer.....even Jason Lawrence of today......are mis-understood at the time, but revered after their gone.
:stupid:

He was exciting to watch and brought attention to the sport. I still remember seeing him at Seven Springs with the bus.

It's awesome that Palm is doing good. I was really hoping that he made it racing MX. Hopefully, he'll try it again.

And yes, Jason Lawrence is very mis-understood. I used to think he was just a punk when he started racing pro. He really is showing how much effort he is putting into his riding. I have a lot more respect for him now.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Pretty sure everybody was all about Palmer in the day. I don't know of anyone who did NOT like Palmer the race...now Palmer the person was hit or miss. Fun guy if you could match his intensity....:twitch:

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Oh - hell yeah! It's the guys who are characters that are the ones that bring some color to the sport so to speak... but underneath I think there were some other things going on that were being counter-productive to him being successful.

I'm stoked to see him kicking maximum ass again.

Seriously though - if he does come back to DH (hope so - at least for Masters DH) it would be awesome if Spesh made a limited-issue "Palmer" Demo 8. Maybe a frame kit, or maybe a complete. White frame w/ the old-skool FSR stickers, yellow Dee Max wheels, ODI Lock-On grips and... a Fox 40. :biggrin: The new Manitou Dorado "Part Deux" just isn't ready yet - I don't think.

It's 2008, so that makes it a ten-year anniv. to honor the Palmer.

Man... it would be really cool if Spesh did that... Brandon.

I've got more ideas if you want to PM me.

Dangerous E

Monkey
May 24, 2006
Coorstown, CO
A few years ago at an Ultra-Cross in Tahoe (basically a skiercross/boardercross two-man relay) Palmer posted the fastest qualifying time of all athletes, skiers included. He was on a snowboard. That's pretty much unheard of.

I was glad to see him win yesterday. I guess o.d.'ing and almost dying turned out to be a blessing in disguise for Palm.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
I think the last time I saw him on a DH bike was at Park City the first year they switched sides of the mountains to barney Rubble & Spin Cycle. I'm checking out lines and yacking with my buddy and here blows by that gold and black slayer helmet with a white t and jeans faster than anything.

It's Palmer...he blows UP into a tree at mach speed but doesn't get hurt...turns around and looks at me and "Damn...I forgot how hard this sheet is!"

He'd lifted Voreis bike and smuggled some runs in with Peat.

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
:stupid:

He was exciting to watch and brought attention to the sport. I still remember seeing him at Seven Springs with the bus.

It's awesome that Palm is doing good. I was really hoping that he made it racing MX. Hopefully, he'll try it again.

And yes, Jason Lawrence is very mis-understood. I used to think he was just a punk when he started racing pro. He really is showing how much effort he is putting into his riding. I have a lot more respect for him now.
Ha, that bus was awesome, remember it well. He had the driver pull up to us while they were heading out from the national at 7 Springs one year to check out the lifted Chevy Suburban I was driving. It was actually my dads, first time he let me take it for an extended trip, but Palmer was enamoured by it and had tons of questions! I tried to play it off like it was mine until my buddy punk'd me in front of everyone!!!

As for J-Law, he's earning the respect of everyone these days. He's putting all the parts together, mental (even mind games) and physical. I still can't help but seem him as the Monster chugging cheetos eating kid that he was just a few years ago........amazing that he powered himself to finish national caliber motocross races on pure sugar alone!!!

ballr

Monkey
Apr 7, 2002
colorado
Anyone else find it funny that American dh'ers love affair with Palmer coincided with a tremendous falloff in American talent and racing results on the international scene?

I would posit that Palmer's party-at-all-costs image/attitude hurt the future of American downhillers for years. Suddenly (back then) it was cooler to party and look cool than it was to train right, eat correctly, and be a true professional. While we were busy getting wasted and getting our own names tattoed on ourselves, riders from other countries were busy building skills and learning a craft.

I'm not hating on Palmer - I only saw a public personality, not the person behind it. But unfortunately, I believe he was having a much greater effect on the youth of our sport than the O.G. TRUE Professionals like E.C. and Lopes (you could even insert Kirt's name here). After all, these guys are still around and still playing a major role in mountain biking. Palmer, while a brilliant talent, was a flash in the pan (relatively speaking) and never really gave back to our sport. Again, not saying he's not a good guy, but others have done so much more for the sport without anywhere close to the same amount of hype or fanfair.

When it comes to building a career in this awesome sport, I would much rather use someone like E.C., Lopes, or Kirt as my American role model, just my opinion.

I find it refreshing to see the pendulum is swinging back the other direction now and dedication and work ethic are starting to be valued by the young American dh'ers. Nothing like getting your ass kicked for a few years to change your attitude, eh?

I hope young American downhillers continue to build upon their skill levels, fitness, and dedication in pursuit of excellence on the international circuit.

There, I said it. Somebody tell Mike Rose he just got the article he's been asking someone from over here to write for the past two years.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Palmer was so magnetic because he put in monster amounts of training to accomplish what he did AND partied his butt off. When people tell you that to be the best, you gotta put down the party favors...and someone comes along, throws down the gauntlet, breaks out the road bike like Palmer did (because he was SO intensely competitive)...and still manages to be the biggest partier...kids can relate to that.

Every article in his 2nd and 3rd year racing focused on the amount of training and preparation he dedicated himself to, just to be the best. If Lance Armstrong had tattoos like Palmer and partied like Palmer and still dominated on the road, he might have to buy his own island for privacy, he'd be so renowned.

Like at Bodie Miller...the ELITE World Cup racer, dedicated to his training...and his off time! :D

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
One last thing...I'm 35 now and there are guys just out of their teens that ask me what Palmer is doing now. Little kids back in the day were obsessed with him. Not one of them ever said to me...man...I wanna party like Palmer..they were all like "I wanna rip like Palmer"

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
I would posit that Palmer's party-at-all-costs image/attitude hurt the future of American downhillers for years. Suddenly (back then) it was cooler to party and look cool than it was to train right, eat correctly, and be a true professional. While we were busy getting wasted and getting our own names tattoed on ourselves, riders from other countries were busy building skills and learning a craft.
Palmer trained harder than any kid racing today does. Palmer watched MTB race videos all day and every day (to study the euros) while eating a very healthy diet, Palmer took every supplement Iron would give him in an effort to to be as strong as possible without testing positive. Palmer left most parties at the races just when I was getting started. Palmer surrounded himself with success when he got into the sport using the motto "successful people surround themselves with success"-hence the reason he was always staying at my house in the winter to train with Lopes and Leigh.

Was he a saint? no.

But your are assuming a lot of wrong BS about Palm.

ballr

Monkey
Apr 7, 2002
colorado
One last thing...I'm 35 now and there are guys just out of their teens that ask me what Palmer is doing now. Little kids back in the day were obsessed with him. Not one of them ever said to me...man...I wanna party like Palmer..they were all like "I wanna rip like Palmer"
You guys need to read my post more slowly. Just to be clear Butch and now stik, I have no intimate knowledge of what he did or didn't do for training.

I am only commenting on the perception - his image. I am saying that the perception became that one could be this party animal and still get it done on race day. If you guys say he trained hard, that's fine, I believe you. I am not assuming anything about the guy.

I am saying though that "training hard" is not what the young guys took away from Palmer's image. Instead, it was the carefree rebel, party guy attitude. If you look back at my post, at no time did I say that he never trained. I wasn't trying to denigrate him or downplay his efforts, only commenting on the effect his image had on the young Americans at the time.

But, didn't I read a post by E.C. here recently that talked about him showing up to Big Bear undertrained, winning, and looking purple at the bottom of the hill? E.C.'s point was confidence matters a ton and that Palmer was able to win in spite of his fitness levels. I think it was in the young pro's training advice thread or something.

Lastly, being in the fitness field myself for the past 15 years (I have trained everone from professional athletes to clinically obese), Palmer never had the physique that screamed, "I am 100% dedicated to being at my physical best during the race season." I'll give you both a hundred dollars if his body fat even got close to 10% while he was racing bikes. Miles, Lopes, Nico on the other hand...

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Brother...I was at 6% body fat at the time I met him in the pits at Seven Springs...and if that guy had more body fat than me, he must have had in his cocyx!

As for him turning blue at Big Bear...you ever race that thing? The most elite DH'ers racing that thing barfed a lot there. Every guy I know from the East Coast that raced that race got owned because it was such a beast of pedaling...at elevation no less!

Correct me if I'm wrong Stik, but wasn't that only his 2nd season as a Pro DH'er? The aerobic fitness of a Cat level roadie would be pushed at Big Bear.

ballr

Monkey
Apr 7, 2002
colorado
Don't know about the Big Bear thing, read EC's post.

Yes I did race there numerous times (every year excpet one from '97 - whenever they shut it down).

Again, not trying to piss on Palmer's parade, but I have done skin fat calibrations on thousands of people the past fifteen years. Few would be more qualified than me to make a judgment based on observation. Doesn't matter really though.

Look at Ricky Carmicheal - he was still a real bad ass on a moto before he decided to get fit. As soon as he dedicated himself to training and eating correctly, he became nearly unbeatable. It was no coincidence.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
You guys need to read my post more slowly. Just to be clear Butch and now stik, I have no intimate knowledge of what he did or didn't do for training.

I am only commenting on the perception - his image. I am saying that the perception became that one could be this party animal and still get it done on race day. If you guys say he trained hard, that's fine, I believe you. I am not assuming anything about the guy.

I am saying though that "training hard" is not what the young guys took away from Palmer's image. Instead, it was the carefree rebel, party guy attitude. If you look back at my post, at no time did I say that he never trained. I wasn't trying to denigrate him or downplay his efforts, only commenting on the effect his image had on the young Americans at the time.

But, didn't I read a post by E.C. here recently that talked about him showing up to Big Bear undertrained, winning, and looking purple at the bottom of the hill? E.C.'s point was confidence matters a ton and that Palmer was able to win in spite of his fitness levels. I think it was in the young pro's training advice thread or something.

Lastly, being in the fitness field myself for the past 15 years (I have trained everone from professional athletes to clinically obese), Palmer never had the physique that screamed, "I am 100% dedicated to being at my physical best during the race season." I'll give you both a hundred dollars if his body fat even got close to 10% while he was racing bikes. Miles, Lopes, Nico on the other hand...
I don't know what his "myth" has morphed into, but i know at the time, everyone new how hard the guy worked. Did he have and attitude, yeah....did he back it up......yup. All the younger guys i knew wanted to rip it on the course like him. To be far too, there was a pretty good party scene period back then in DH, EVERYONE was a little out of control at times, even your true professionals you mentioned. I'd say it's still going on, but more behind the scenes.

He was easily as fit as the guys you mentioned, i don't think being totally out of shape was an option back then, there was still to much pedaling on a lot of courses not to be.

As of the being blue at BB, being out of shape really wouldn't have anything to do with that, more your bodies natural ability to deal with low oxygen environments. Also, usually only highly trained and naturally talented guys are able to force themselves into that low of a sat range by choice.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Don't know about the Big Bear thing, read EC's post.

Yes I did race there numerous times (every year excpet one from '97 - whenever they shut it down).

Again, not trying to piss on Palmer's parade, but I have done skin fat calibrations on thousands of people the past fifteen years. Few would be more qualified than me to make a judgment based on observation. Doesn't matter really though.

Look at Ricky Carmicheal - he was still a real bad ass on a moto before he decided to get fit. As soon as he dedicated himself to training and eating correctly, he became nearly unbeatable. It was no coincidence.
Then you know know in reality, 6%-10% body fat is not a big dif, and probably isn't going to make a damn bit of difference in DH performance, and doesn't completely indicate someones fitness.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca

You gotta take what EC says about Palm with a grain of salt and not the gospel. Palmer did not like EC when they were racing-at all and EC was not a fan of Palms either. EC was involved in a VERY sophisticated training regimen in those days and when you are involved in things like that you like to think no one else is training as hard as you AND if someone does beat you on a given day it was because they were either superhuman, mentally stronger/super confident, or on drugs....you think "there is no way they trained harder than me dammit!". I am not putting words in EC's mouth here, just giving you a general idea of how these things work.

Palmers days of lean and strong were 96 and 97, I am sure he was in the 8-12% range, but once he signed with specialized and was making sh1ttons of money and just basically became a paycheck rider and riding on crappy components it took the fun of racing away, so he partied more, trained less, became more of a mess.

I have said it here many times....but it is no coincidence that when Palmer was in the sport riders were making great livings-I mean A LOT of riders were....and when he left, all the money left too.
Its a phenomenon that will not ever be repeated, the powers that be never even thought MTB racing was even that cool, but Palmer made it worth looking at.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Whenever these Palmer threads go up, it reminds me of my favorite Palmer memory that I wrote about a few years back:
Favorite Palmer Memory Ever:

'98 Worlds at Ste. Anne. Epic course (5+ minutes for the pros; similar to the one they used for the World Cup this year) with lots of high speed, tech, you name it. I hiked the entire course during the juniors and was blown away.

Best place to spectate was this huge wide open section right under the lift - you could see the riders flying out of one woods section, down a long sweeping, off-camber S-section in the wide open, then hit a nasty brake bump/rock garden section before going back in the woods. Halfway through the wide open S section, as the riders curved back to the left, was this NASTY loose, off camber sweeper. Many of the top pros in the world had trouble even making the turn, but the best were cutting way inside where there was a little better traction but a big ass kicker that threw them to the outside at the end of the turn into all the loose crap. It was a super sketchy landing, but the best could just barely pull it off and keep trucking.

Near the end of the senior men, word starts spreading down the hill that Palmer's coming soon, and the whole place starts buzzing. He had placed 2nd at the worlds the year before by .15 seconds to Nico, and everyone was amped to see what he had in store this year.

Finally, Palmer comes bombing out of the upper wood section and the thousands (literally) up on the slope start going ape $hit. As he sets up for that inside kicker-to-loose-as-hell landing, the roar of the crowd grows even louder.

Then the moment: He not only nails the line to the kicker, he hits it at about twice the speed of anyone else. As he launches off the kicker - now remember, this is in his race run for the World Championship - he throws this RIDICULOUS flatty about 10-12 feet off the ground. He lands WAY outside in the loose stuff, throws a foot out, brushes back a hundred or so spectators who are leaning over the tape, and somehow rides out of it at speed. Absolute bedlam ensues up on course - people screaming, throwing beers up in the air, ringing cowbells, the whole nine.

In 14 years of going to national and world cup level races, I've never seen anything quite like that. I've got a sweet pic of it back at home, and every time I look at it, it still gives me goose bumps. That dude had insane skills.

--JP
A couple people wanted to see the photo I took of this, and I finally dug it out of the basement today. It's pretty bad quality - it's a so-so scan of a print photo that was taken on crappy film with a sub-par camera 10 years ago. Also, I didn't quite get the shot of him at his apex, but when he was on his way down. In any event, you still get a sense of what I was trying to describe in the story. Enjoy.

ballr

Monkey
Apr 7, 2002
colorado
Then you know know in reality, 6%-10% body fat is not a big dif, and probably isn't going to make a damn bit of difference in DH performance, and doesn't completely indicate someones fitness.
Never said anthing about 6-10 being a big diff. Personally I found my ability to recover from hard training was better when my bf was closer to 10 than 6.

Also, I never said that it would make a damn bit of difference in dh performance. It can however have a pretty big effect on your body's response to training. Pretty easy to tell though who's been taking their nutrition seriously and who hasn't , no? You can tell a body that has been getting clean energy and a good combination of macro and micro-nutrients from a mile away versus one that has been eating fast food and hitting up the bar.

I should know - I've tried both ways! :)

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
I think the last time I saw him on a DH bike was at Park City the first year they switched sides of the mountains to barney Rubble & Spin Cycle. I'm checking out lines and yacking with my buddy and here blows by that gold and black slayer helmet with a white t and jeans faster than anything.

It's Palmer...he blows UP into a tree at mach speed but doesn't get hurt...turns around and looks at me and "Damn...I forgot how hard this sheet is!"

He'd lifted Voreis bike and smuggled some runs in with Peat.
LoL... classic.

...reminds me of the time when he used to ride for SIMS - he and Brushie traded boards, bib numbers, outfits, and even hair color and rode as each other in in US Open Halfpipe Comp. one year. Of course they both got disqualified, but - ya gotta love the "screw the establishment" vibe... of course that was snowboarding and that WAS like 1992... not something I would recommend for DH MTB... although I could see Gracia pulling it off... only he would need a partner in crime. Rennie is a prankster but... not exactly Gracia's size.

Palmer is the only reason I ever bought a mountain bike. Coming from motocross he was the only one that could have ever made the sport cool enough to make me want to check it out(and for the record it had nothing to do with partying) You dont just jump around from sport to sport and compete at that leval. And it was not just America that loved him I think if you read Dirt they name drop all the time about how great he was. The man is a hero and if you don't like it you can go get F#$%ED!!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
John P...were you in the woods at Mt. Snow in 98 (the REAL Mt. Snow DH...G.O.A.T) and he hit some tiny rock slab on near flat ground in his race run and threw a HUGE flattie and the crowd did the same thing!

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
"I told these guys I was gonna win every single race today"

Quote from CBS Jeep show yesterday.
gone are the days off strutting in front of nico and fliping him off when he won the world cup at big bear and nico crashed...or running through the pits at deer valley and yelling into trailers that he was going to smoke everyone.... of course there is a bit of his old self....just far less.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
You gotta take what EC says about Palm with a grain of salt and not the gospel. Palmer did not like EC when they were racing-at all and EC was not a fan of Palms either. EC was involved in a VERY sophisticated training regimen in those days and when you are involved in things like that you like to think no one else is training as hard as you AND if someone does beat you on a given day it was because they were either superhuman, mentally stronger/super confident, or on drugs....you think "there is no way they trained harder than me dammit!". I am not putting words in EC's mouth here, just giving you a general idea of how these things work.

Palmers days of lean and strong were 96 and 97, I am sure he was in the 8-12% range, but once he signed with specialized and was making sh1ttons of money and just basically became a paycheck rider and riding on crappy components it took the fun of racing away, so he partied more, trained less, became more of a mess.

I have said it here many times....but it is no coincidence that when Palmer was in the sport riders were making great livings-I mean A LOT of riders were....and when he left, all the money left too.
Its a phenomenon that will not ever be repeated, the powers that be never even thought MTB racing was even that cool, but Palmer made it worth looking at.
we all knew Palm was training, like peaty he liked to play the card of party guy but behind the scene he was getting it done.

In 96 at certain races...i think Palm was mentally stronger then all of us this was as far as i know pre smart hard training, i know for sure that when he won the DH in Big Bear it was with no warm up. ...he could get out of his body more then others....i liked Palmer....he made me race faster and gave me inspiration to train, i loved beating him wearing lycra...he hated it and i knew it...so i would wear that stuff right on the podium...when he beat me he would rub it right back in my face.....good stuff IMO...

i can't speak for others but i know that there are a few of us top guys that were jealous of how he just walked in and starting getting payed big like he did....but we all have to him to thank for it on the back end....he brought it all up

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
we all knew Palm was training, like peaty he liked to play the card of party guy but behind the scene he was getting it done.

Palm was mentally stronger then all of us i believe...he could get out of his body more then others....i liked Palmer....he made me race faster and gave me inspiration to train, i loved beating him wearing lycra...he hated it and i knew it...so i would wear that stuff right on the podium...when he beat me he would rub it right back in my face.....good stuff IMO...

i can't speak for others but i know that there are a few of us top guys that were jealous of how he just walked in and starting getting payed big like he did....but we all have to him to thank for it on the back end....he brought it all up
But....was it worth it to have to endure riding a Lobo....

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
at the time the lobo wasn't bad....it wasn't the intense...but we got some good results on it....and the next bike was the I drive so yeah i would do it all over again.

the better question would have been was it worth to have to endure the Rotec's of 97!

Wow, you really wouldn't believe the hoops we jumped through for all that.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Wow, that's probably the best thing I've ever read on the RideMunkey. Thanks for being honest, that's rare these days!

p.s. Is it weird that you and Lopes have 180'd sponsors over the last 10 years?

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
The thing about Palmer was he was a straight shoot. He gave the best advice in an interview I read a decade ago. Something like:

If you want to win, you need to come to a race with confidence knowing you're as fast as me and all these other guys.

He was cocky, but wanted to bring out the best in others and share his knowledge. I wish I could remember the name of the mag w/the interview (encyclopedia stick may know). He also discussed his mistakes and how he put that stuff behind him, but it still helped make him who he is.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
Wow, that's probably the best thing I've ever read on the RideMunkey. Thanks for being honest, that's rare these days!

p.s. Is it weird that you and Lopes have 180'd sponsors over the last 10 years?
no prob....yeah it's a bit weird.....it is the nature of the biz though.....and the fact that most of the people associated with each of the companies are no longer there makes it a bit easier.

01 was a bit hard for me....they offered me a big cut in pay and i went to goose but was happy at GT and then they hired BL...that stung....but BL was cheaper for GT in the fact he could do it for less by getting his own CO deals.....in the end this has been the best thing for my career.

Goose has been good and GT went belly up right after i left and owed a lot of people money.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Actually I do remember you and House's "fun" on White Bros/Rotec's. I was at Seven Springs when you and him were trying to figure out how to keep your chains on for an entire run...and you were their only rider with a 6 inch upside down fork. And didn't White Bros/Rotec wind up pouring motor oil inside them instead of slick honey???

Had to be fun learning suspension from Dan White though??