Quantcast

Shaved & Polished

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
So, I'm at a bike shop (not my LBS) and one of the guys there has his arms & legs shaved (and seemingly polished?), so I say "what's the point?" His response: If I have an accident, there is less of a chance of infection. I left it there since the guy had hair on his head as well. Any takers on that nonsense?

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
i dont think the point is infection. wounds are supposed to heal faster without hair. So wounds like road rash and that kinda stuff heal up faster. And youre more likely to scrape up your arms and legs than your head, so keep the hair up there...since its usually covered with a helmet anyway.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
its true, i ended up in the hospital missing our senior trip that I planned last year due to a major staff infection. My right arm looked like it had a tall boy shoved under the skin that was due a cut that was almost completely healed from a bike crash and getting in a hot tub. Something nasty got on the hair folicol (sp?) and got under the skin. I seem to mostly cut my legs when ridding so I shave them. Reasons being:
A) no infections
B) band aids stick and dont hurt like ****
C) personally i think it looks much better
D) some of my pads have pulled hair out when moving around
E) girls love it, no bull ****

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I call BS on that argument.

I ride a MTB and I've had many 'accidents' in my years of riding yet I've never gotten an infection from leg hairs... :rolleyes:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
As I understandm it helps for road rash, especially when it's time to scrub it out.

Other than that, no reason to shave unless your in competitive swimming. Even then it's lame. Much better to look like a bigfoot in the woods.

:oink:

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
N8 said:

I ride a MTB and I've had many 'accidents' in my years of riding yet I've never gotten an infection from leg hairs... :rolleyes:
I agree, my legs look like hamburger and have had many puncture wounds from my "post" pedals and have never had a problem. If ya wanna shave your legs, do it, but ya don't have to lie to kick it.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
H8R said:
As I understandm it helps for road rash, especially when it's time to scrub it out.

Other than that, no reason to shave unless your in competitive swimming. Even then it's lame. Much better to look like a bigfoot in the woods.

:oink:

Shaved roadies g+ay... shaved MTB'ers are kinky???

bodycheck131

Chimp
Oct 14, 2004
dexter said:
its true, i ended up in the hospital missing our senior trip that I planned last year due to a major staff infection. My right arm looked like it had a tall boy shoved under the skin that was due a cut that was almost completely healed from a bike crash and getting in a hot tub. Something nasty got on the hair folicol (sp?) and got under the skin. I seem to mostly cut my legs when ridding so I shave them. Reasons being:
A) no infections
B) band aids stick and dont hurt like ****
C) personally i think it looks much better
D) some of my pads have pulled hair out when moving around
E) girls love it, no bull ****
Reminds me of the time my dad burnt his leg on the exhaust of a motorcycle. He went tubing down the Salt River the next week. Ended up with a nasty infection and had to get a skin graph.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
I couldnt shave my legs. I wouldnt know where to stop shaving. It would be like a hiar line up my thigh. :dead:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I just shave the area after I crash, that seems to work fine.

Hardcore roadies (or wannabe's) shave because it keeps things clean AND because they get frequent leg massages and there's a lot less hair pulling if your legs are shaved.

Oh and it's more aero. :rolleyes:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
chicodude01 said:
Good thread this one is. I have been thinking about shaving my legs for a while.........Before my next century
seriously?

I guess I don't think it's necessary here in the mountains cuz a crash means far more than roadrash. I'd fly off a fookin' mountain and get a tree thru my ribcage.

=[Stinky]=

I like bagels and turkey sandwiches
Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
I dont currently, but have when racing mtb. One thing to note. Ticks can get on you from grabbing a hair on your leg as you ride by... Somthing to think about on tight single track.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i don't race but i shave my legs. i stopped shaving for a couple months and couldn't stand it. i've developed a strong dislike of leg hair. can't stand arm hair, either, but that would get too expensive.

i like how it feels, i like how it looks. never got weird infections with hair, haven't gotten them without.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
For all the time it takes to shave your entire legs every few days I'd rather deal with the occasional wittle boo-boo. I don't believe anything other than that guys do it because they like how it feels and they somehow think it is sexy.

I wear knee/shins when I ride DH and that prevents shin damaging slips well enough. If I cut my shin riding XC big freakin' deal...

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
chicodude01 said:
Yea, I need to complete the "gay roadie look" As so many have said in this thread. I am not a big fan of body hair.
So what pro-kit will you be wearing in the completed look?

chicodude01 said:
Chest hair = grossness
hmm, I'm a fairly hairy guy and the women over the years have seemed to like it.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
It is all relative. You see, when I see a roadie without shaved legs, I ask him if is he is afraid/gay/etc?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
punkassean said:
For all the time it takes to shave your entire legs every few days I'd rather deal with the occasional wittle boo-boo. I don't believe anything other than that guys do it because they like how it feels and they somehow think it is sexy.

I wear knee/shins when I ride DH and that prevents shin damaging slips well enough. If I cut my shin riding XC big freakin' deal...
:stupid:

I've shaved. It offered no benefit other than the fact that it looked cool (to other bikers) and was somehow kinky.

The real reason you all shave your legs? Hairy legs look awful with high heels. C'mon, just admit it. I came clean about the chick pants. :blah: :D

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Ciaran said:
:stupid:

I've shaved. It offered no benefit other than the fact that it looked cool (to other bikers) and was somehow kinky.

The real reason you all shave your legs? Hairy legs look awful with high heels. C'mon, just admit it. I came clean about the chick pants. :blah: :D
are you posting with your full-face helmet on again?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
N8 said:

He is talking about bike crashes, not incontinence you old facker.

:)

Anyway, people could tell me that shaving my legs will give me a better tax refund and let me live longer and I would still not do it. I hate shaving my face why the hell would I transfer this despised activity to 50% of my body.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
LordOpie said:
hmm, I'm a fairly hairy guy and the women over the years have seemed to like it.

I don't care if the ladies like it or not, I don't like chest hair.....It's just gross.
LordOpie said:
So what pro-kit will you be wearing in the completed look?

Sierra nevada bitches