Quantcast

Shaving (Not junk shaving...) Monkeys...

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Electric or blade? I got sick of the extortion and waste of the razor today and popped for an electric...stay tuned for exciting updates!

Man...my life is slow these days...

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
mach 3. used to use electric razors. takes a couple weeks to get the skin used to electric razors coming from disposables, but mach3s are maintenance free and really really sharp, closer shave than electrics in less time, with electrics its kinda hard to get a close shave under the nose and to get the sideburns even.
warm water splash, foam, cold razor, cold water rinse.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Electric or blade? I got sick of the extortion and waste of the razor today and popped for an electric...stay tuned for exciting updates!
...you will be back. Electric razors seem fine for about a month every time I've gotten one, but eventually, you'll just get tired of never actually having a clean shave.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I use a blade once a week, usually the morning of our weekly division meetings but I'll just use the electric the rest of the week. If I have a big date or fancy get together I might spring for using the blade a second time during said week. Although no one seems to have fancy get togethers much anymore...:(

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I have the unfortunate combination of very coarse facial hair and very sensitive skin on my neck. I spend my life looking for the best way to shave.

Cartridge razors (Mach 3 and the like) work okay. The shaving gunk you buy in the store sucks, indulge yourself in some nice shaving cream from a boutique or shaving specialty store. It won't smell so much like deodorant. Better: buy a brush and some shaving cream in a tube and whip yourself some warm lather in the morning. But the cartridges are ridiculously priced so I always end up using them way past when they go dull.

The only thing that's ever given me a really comfortable and close shave is when I spent about a year or so shaving every day with a double-edged safety razor, the aforementioned shaving cream whipped up into a foam by a brush, and using multiple passes to reduce the hair during the process. It turned shaving into a 20+ minute exercise but I actually really enjoyed the ritual of it. Instead of it being something to "get through", using the warm lather that actually smelled good and a solid tool to shave with made it more of a relaxing routine. Plus: closest shave ever. EVER. And replacement blades are like $0.25 each, so you can replace them as often as you want.

That said, I'm back with a pretty expensive foil electric shaver now. It doesn't irritate my neck like the rotaries I've used, it's a whole lot faster than shaving with a blade and the small amount I give up in closeness is okay. As JBP says, the difference goes away pretty quickly. And my facial hair is so coarse that I could never just shave on a moment's notice with a blade (e.g. shaving before going out to dinner). Always needed to shower or splash a lot of hot water on my face and wash my face first.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I've got really coarse facial hair too. I end up shaving in the shower at least 5 days a week. I usually use the Mach 3 or whatever it's called. I tried the one with 5 blades last week. Wow. That thing is amazing. Expensive though.
If i don't shave every day, it hurts. Feels like my hair is getting ripped out of my face. That's why i shave in the shower. If i get cut, it doesn't scab over.

greengreer

Monkey
Apr 27, 2008
NC
Not shaving is the way to go, scruffy mangy beards are great

Now that my job dictates a clean face I usually just use a beard trimmer without the guard in the mornings. Sure it isn't the cleanest shave ever but by lunch-time I couldn't tell the difference.
For a real close shave, hot water and disposable razor. None of that girly cream-Man up!

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota
I have the unfortunate combination of very coarse facial hair and very sensitive skin on my neck. I spend my life looking for the best way to shave.

Cartridge razors (Mach 3 and the like) work okay. The shaving gunk you buy in the store sucks, indulge yourself in some nice shaving cream from a boutique or shaving specialty store. It won't smell so much like deodorant. Better: buy a brush and some shaving cream in a tube and whip yourself some warm lather in the morning. But the cartridges are ridiculously priced so I always end up using them way past when they go dull.

The only thing that's ever given me a really comfortable and close shave is when I spent about a year or so shaving every day with a double-edged safety razor, the aforementioned shaving cream whipped up into a foam by a brush, and using multiple passes to reduce the hair during the process. It turned shaving into a 20+ minute exercise but I actually really enjoyed the ritual of it. Instead of it being something to "get through", using the warm lather that actually smelled good and a solid tool to shave with made it more of a relaxing routine. Plus: closest shave ever. EVER. And replacement blades are like $0.25 each, so you can replace them as often as you want.

That said, I'm back with a pretty expensive foil electric shaver now. It doesn't irritate my neck like the rotaries I've used, it's a whole lot faster than shaving with a blade and the small amount I give up in closeness is okay. As JBP says, the difference goes away pretty quickly. And my facial hair is so coarse that I could never just shave on a moment's notice with a blade (e.g. shaving before going out to dinner). Always needed to shower or splash a lot of hot water on my face and wash my face first.
This.

In a pinch, I'll use Mach3 and an aloe foam/cream. That tends to work well, but I've got sensitive skin too. The best remedy I've found when you're in a rush (i.e. don't have half an hour to devote to shaving) is to always shave with the grain, and splash on some witch-hazel afterward.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
For anotherfew years (Unitl I retire from the AF...) I am shaving daily. Have tried all the above methods, but what turned me to the electric was the cost and waste of the disposables. I went to buy replacement blades yesterday and they were $12 for 4. Nice Norelco electric on 50% off, making it $25 or so. If I get a year out of it, I am ahead and the landfills are no bigger...
After I reach the magic 20 for retirement, bring on the bad facial hair. And the mullet.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I shave maybe twice a week unless something important is going on a work. Which is almost never.

and I use Mach 3.

And unless electrics have gotten better in the last 10 years, they do not work at ALL. Like not at all. They do not work.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Mach 3 Turbo here, though I anxiously await the release of Mach 3 Turbo Xtreme, followed by Mach 3 Turbo OMFG!1!One. I've been using a blade since I was about 18.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
You know IAB, thats the driver behind this. The constant "upgrading" of the razor, and the changing of the interface behind handle and blade...you would think Shimano is designing and making the razors...who needs 5 blades?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Well the Mach 3 Turbo hasn't been upgraded in a while. I've been using the same handle for several years. I think the progression of razors I've used has been:

Sensor
Sensor Excel
Mach 3
Mach 3 Turbo

I've never nicked myself with a Mach 3 blade. I use the same blade for probably five shaves before replacing it.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
I was shaving my junk for a while but my wife preferred the natural look...so now I don't.

Oh yeah...electric on the face. Blades destroy my neck.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I go electric. Saves me quite a bit of time. The cost over time is about the same, as the cleaning solution, electricity, and replacement foils every 12 months are about the same, just in lump cost.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
And unless electrics have gotten better in the last 10 years, they do not work at ALL. Like not at all. They do not work.
They've gotten better. I've owned two high end electrics along with a couple junkers. The junkers sucked. The two nice ones ($75+) both shave very well. The foil cutter irritates my neck less; the rotary cutter dealt with long hairs better. So I just shave more often with the foil cutter.

Bushwhacker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
Tar Effing River!! NC
I've been off the razor all winter and have grown my first real beard...it's pretty long, shaggy and haggard and and I get a lot of Paul Bunyan and Grizzly Adams jokes. First sign of hot weather and the clippers take care of hair and beard in one step....my one haircut a year.

They've gotten better. I've owned two high end electrics along with a couple junkers. The junkers sucked. The two nice ones ($75+) both shave very well. The foil cutter irritates my neck less; the rotary cutter dealt with long hairs better. So I just shave more often with the foil cutter.
What I finally figured out is that shaving either with a safety or electric razor is that both want a very light touch - avoid the tendency to scrub. Use just a hair [sic] over zero pressure. That lets floating heads float on the electrics and prevents razor burn when using a safety razor.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I hate the fact that I have to shave for work. I much prefer to leave the 5 o'clock shadow and just shave with clippers to keep it short. Seems like most chicks like the bit of scruff too. I hate shaving just because my skin is pretty sensitive. I usually shave with the razor to start the week off and maybe once more and just maintain with an electric. I just never feel like I get a good enough shave with an electric....maybe I haven't used a nice enough one, just haven't felt like dropping big cash to experiment.

I actually have really wanted to try a straight razor.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I shave about once a week or when I can no longer stand the itching. Being a self-employed artist does have some advantages.

Can we start a new thread about growing hair in unusual places as we get older ?

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I use a blade. But I only have to shave about every 4-5 days or so due to my Asian heritage and lack of hair. I'm 26 now. Maybe I'll be able to grow a beard when I'm 35 or so. Or not.