Quantcast

shaving some weight! need help!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Heres the skinny: (i am happy with my current configuration givin my weight and the way that I ride.) Just want to slim down a little bit. The main items for suggestions are in red and any suggestions on the other parts would be appreciated to.
Here is a couple of links to photos: Weight 34.3lbs
A minute 2 would drop 1.5lb and bars, seatpost ?

http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/photo/?op=view&image=381238
http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/photo/?op=view&image=369295

Bike:
Mantra xl 01
chris king hubs (pewter)
intense dh 30 rims
marz. zi fr 04 fork
hayes mag 8" front 6" rear
king headset (pewter)
world force bars
odi loc on rogues
xt shifters
xt front der.

xtr rear der. xtr cassette m952 (226g)
race face next lp carbon arms compact
thomson post
thomson stem
specialized alias 155 ti saddle
stratos helix expert shock
some ? med weight platform peddles
irc mythicos xc rear tire 2.1
trail bear front 2.25

Sep 29, 2004
how much weight ar eyou looking to save... go ask the dh guys with a set up like that.... is this ur fr rig/trail bike or is it some kind of monster of an xc bike?

Aug 27, 2004
bullcrew said:
Heres the skinny: (i am happy with my current configuration givin my weight and the way that I ride.) Just want to slim down a little bit. The main items for suggestions are in red and any suggestions on the other parts would be appreciated to.

Bike:
Mantra xl 01
chris king hubs (pewter)
intense dh 30 rims
marz. zi fr 04 fork
hayes mag 8" front 6" rear
king headset (pewter)
world force bars
odi loc on rogues
xt shifters
xt front der.

xtr rear der. xtr cassette m952 (226g)
race face next lp carbon arms compact
thomson post
thomson stem
specialized alias 155 ti saddle
stratos helix expert shock
some ? med weight platform peddles
irc mythicos xc rear tire 2.1
trail bear front 2.25
try to get some easton carbon bars
take off the windows on your xt shifters and cover the space with a carbon patch

as for the rest...i am not much of a trail/fr/dh rider so i don't know those parts very well..

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
How much do you weigh? What kind of riding are you doing with this? From the looks of the setup, it isn't a pure XC machine. However, I'm sure you could find some lighter rims that will work for you, no matter your weight.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Heck this is my all mountain x/c bike, my sc bullit it all out DH/FR.
I weigh 205-210 and ride really aggresive. I will keep the rims just because I've bent other rims in the past. the fork was put on after I made a decision based on 1 persons input to sell my manitou minute 2. I was told I was probably a little to heavy for that fork.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
bullcrew said:
Heck this is my all mountain x/c bike, my sc bullit it all out DH/FR.
I weigh 205-210 and ride really aggresive. I will keep the rims just because I've bent other rims in the past. the fork was put on after I made a decision based on 1 persons input to sell my manitou minute 2. I was told I was probably a little to heavy for that fork.
You could probably get away with RhynoLites, they're most likely a bit lighter than the Intense DH rims. I know a guy who weighs about the same as you and rides a Minute 2, and he has no complaints about it regarding his weight. You could try one of the new Rockshox Reba forks, or a Fox Vanilla (Perhaps a Float?).

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I want to stay at 130mm with head angle and sitting position, The minute 2 I loved but the guy scared the he_ l out of me saying I would probably rip the front end apart because it flexes. Go z1 fr 130mm it's rigid and more stable.
I still liked the minute 2 for it's looks and adjustments.
Had rhyno lites, They DIED on a rock. spin bump, spin bump, spin bump. You get the idea. Thats the reason for the burly rims.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
bullcrew said:
I want to stay at 130mm with head angle and sitting position, The minute 2 I loved but the guy scared the he_ l out of me saying I would probably rip the front end apart because it flexes. Go z1 fr 130mm it's rigid and more stable.
I still liked the minute 2 for it's looks and adjustments.
Had rhyno lites, They DIED on a rock. spin bump, spin bump, spin bump. You get the idea. Thats the reason for the burly rims.
I didn't find that to be true with my Minute. (by chance the guy who told you that wasn't the guy that sold you zokki was it) While it is not as stiff as a FOX Vanilla or Talas, it certainly is stiff enough for everything I ever did on it and I would never call it flexy. Plus its a sub 4lb fork. I run around in the high 180s low 190s. And not to spam (well okay I am)

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107950

As for rims, the XM819 would be good. The tall profile makes them less susceptable to flat spotting are pretty light and give you the ability to go tubeless if you want.

The Easton carbon bar suggestions are good. If you didn't want the carbon then their scandium bar is a good compromise. Plenty strong and lighter than what you have.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
get some wellgo magnesium peadals, they weigh 375g. save maybe .5 lbs

lighter rims w a tall profile like somebody else mentioned.

tubes? tubeless would be best, won't pinch flat.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Looks like you have a fairly balanced durable trail bike. It's below 35 lbs. on a 5 and 5 bike with coil springs.
Saving wieght in your wheels makes more of an impact on the trail since it's rotational wieght. But i understand why you want to keep bombproof rims. i'm like you if i run XC rims i just hope and pray they last at least one year.
Looking at your build i can only say save signifigant wieght by switching to an air fork, Fox forx are sweet, i'll never look back. Check out the talas and the 36. i've run a Zokes air FRSL 130mm air, and Fox are equally stiff, are more plush, and are a much lighter fork.
Other than that i'd say you're just lookin to spend unnescesarily, you've got a great bike and build.....

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
What about you? given the bike, what type of helmet do you use? Do you wear body armor? Huge hydration pack? "Relieve" yourself every morning? hmmmm...it isn't limited to your bike. Keep it burly so you can ride it instead of walk it.