Quantcast

Shed conditions - Drop trails

Buck Fever

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Hipsterville USA
I think I know the answer to this already, but I can be optimistic for once.

Have the trails melted sufficiently? My enduro pro should be in on Friday and I'm hoping I can put it to use. I live out there on the weekends but if it's still nasty out there, I won't bother lugging up to my fiancee's third floor apartment.

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
my guess is if people rode when it was snowey then the tire tracks are frozen or if anyone walked... doubt that its any good for riding unless you plan to shovel all of it out... of if u have studded tires it might work.

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
i did a little SS XCing at schaeffer today and it was about 80% rideable. there was a bunch of spots where there was about 1' snow drifts. not sure how the riding will be up at the shed. there may still be some snow/ice left because of the overnight freezing temps... i was surprised that there wasn't more of a meltdown of the snow at schaeffer.

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
well nothing melted at the trails me and my friends have near our house so i didnt think anything else would melt that fast.

willpowa

Chimp
Sep 6, 2004
Who cares? It's just gonna be a little slower... I'm planning on hitting the drops all day with my wife and some friends, if no one backs out, that is.

I doubt there's been much melt, and like whale sed, the overnight temps'll probably harden up a mean crust on top of any drifts. Why not just approach it like a new natural feature :p

You coming out, whale?

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Yea you never know about the shed since it is prob colder up there due to taht it is a little higher. But more power to you if you it up those trails. It doesnt hurt as bad to fall in the snow either.

willpowa

Chimp
Sep 6, 2004
Yeah, I mean Sunday, tho the forecast calls for sleet+freezing rain...
Depending on what it looks like in the morning, I'll probably go out.
Snow=OK, Sleet=Doodoo

Jan 24, 2005
powhatan va
dude, i heard the shed got completely destroyed...one of my buddies down here that rides it alot said the park found it or something and they took everything down...if soo... major bummer, i'd like to hear about it if yall know. i loved that place we'd ride it alot over the summer w/ fireman dave i believe it was. good stuff. well best of luck out there in the snow, and schaffer farm in the snow??? damn man i had to ride that on the big hit expert like a retard...never again. lates

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
bighitrider788 said:
dude, i heard the shed got completely destroyed...one of my buddies down here that rides it alot said the park found it or something and they took everything down...if soo... major bummer, i'd like to hear about it if yall know. i loved that place we'd ride it alot over the summer w/ fireman dave i believe it was. good stuff. well best of luck out there in the snow, and schaffer farm in the snow??? damn man i had to ride that on the big hit expert like a retard...never again. lates
I hope this is just an unfounded rumor or exaggeration based on the previously-discovered destruction of RT. It would be hard to do too much to the drop trails without dynamite and blasting caps, though, unless it was just the wooden ramps that were vandalized. Any corroboration on this? :confused:

Buck Fever

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Hipsterville USA
whale said:
i did a little SS XCing at schaeffer today and it was about 80% rideable. there was a bunch of spots where there was about 1' snow drifts. not sure how the riding will be up at the shed. there may still be some snow/ice left because of the overnight freezing temps... i was surprised that there wasn't more of a meltdown of the snow at schaeffer.
I thought Schaeffer was closed for the season. Is this not true?

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
Buck Fever said:
I thought Schaeffer was closed for the season. Is this not true?
call the weather hotline to check on status: (301) 924-1998

it opens during the winter when there's been enough freeze to keep the ground from thawing out and being all muddy.

Paris

Monkey
Aug 24, 2004
The Commonwealth
bighitrider788 said:

This sounds a little exagerated...

Anyone? Anyone?

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
bighitrider788 said:
dude, i heard BigMike got completely destroyed at the shed...one of my buddies down here that rides him alot said that DßR found him or something and they took everything down...if soo... major bummer, i'd like to hear about it if yall know.

:eek: no more group shuttles for me... :D

Buck Fever

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Hipsterville USA
For anyone interested...the drop portion of the shed is still under a considerable amount of snow. We rode from Hamburg, down the trails, across the pond, and up to the Catoctin trail, then back down, cross the pond out to the bend of Fishermans Creek and then back up to the cars on Hburg. Most of the trails on the drop side had 6" of snow covering them. Across the pond, trails were much more rideable, but even Fisherman's Creed Rd. was a mess to climb with 2-4" covering most of it.

I'll have to find out where the other, more rideable portions of trail exist.