Quantcast

'Shed this weekend 21 Aug

el_gordo

Chimp
Jun 13, 2004
DC (Da Capital)
Yes, I know it is "race at Wisp weekend", BUT with only a day to ride (since I'm helpin' the in-laws move) I would like to find out if anyone, who doesn't mind dragging a FNG around, is going to be riding this Saturday.
I guess I also need some better directions than those that get me to the Hamburg parking lot (i.e how do I get "to the shuttle area???").
FINALLY, what are the shuttle roads like??? Is it something I can get a car up and down, or are they truck/jeep trails???

tango -
Gordo

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I cant go this weekend, I'll be at Wisp. But as far as the shuttle roads, they are actual paved roads. You will have no problem getting a car up and down them.

Unless its snowy :dead:

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
llkoolkeg said:
All the roads are car accessible with the exception of Delauter Rd- I almost ripped my entire exhaust off plowing through the stream crossing in my Neon!

You must have been driving in the wrong place..... or somewhere I dont know about :think:

What is Delauter Road?

tater

Chimp
Aug 9, 2004
im gonna try to go this weekend, but im squishy-less, so im taking my HT and hitting the normal trails. dont know where the drop trails and shuttle, etc stuff is anyway.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Dude, you're in Williamsburg? I just moved out of there. I had no idea there was anyone else there into dh... oh well...:)

BigMike said:
You must have been driving in the wrong place..... or somewhere I dont know about :think:

What is Delauter Road?
nah, you don't know about it.... there's a few runs that aren't used much by the "big" crew that's usually out there....

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
DßR said:
.... there's a few runs that aren't used much by the "big" crew that's usually out there....
yeah, those are kickin' it old school. The last time I rode those I think Big John was still riding out there.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
wannabeabonedoc said:
If i'm not very skilled at DH or fr riding, would I survive the shed? I want to come ride there but dont want to waste my time on stuff I cant ride.
You'll be fine on the bigger runs, Pipeline, the white trail, etc. E is a little bit more scary and technical, but, you can always get off and walk, thats what I do ;)

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
BigMike said:
You'll be fine on the bigger runs, Pipeline, the white trail, etc. E is a little bit more scary and technical, but, you can always get off and walk, thats what I do ;)
I need a parachute belted to my ass for that trail- E- to keep me from chewing up all my brake pads! I must admit curiosity about the more recent additions, though.

The "old school" trails we do are mostly long, relatively high-speed rocky shuttles that you hardly ever have to pedal or hit your brakes on...primarily downaward pointing sections of or just off the Catoctin(blue) Trail that bisect vehicle-accessible roads up towards Cunningham Falls. They are not steep by E or Expert standards, but if you stay off the brakes and pump your bike through the rock gardens, you can pretty much dry off your back fur. :D

el_gordo

Chimp
Jun 13, 2004
DC (Da Capital)
llkoolkeg said:
The "old school" trails we do are mostly long, relatively high-speed rocky shuttles that you hardly ever have to pedal or hit your brakes on...primarily downaward pointing sections of or just off the Catoctin(blue) Trail that bisect vehicle-accessible roads up towards Cunningham Falls. They are not steep by E or Expert standards, but if you stay off the brakes and pump your bike through the rock gardens, you can pretty much dry off your back fur. :D
Considering this is the second time I've had the bike out of the garage, "E" trails are not a requirement. I have directions to the Hamburg parking lot -- how do I get to the a starting point from there???
tanks -
Gordo

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
i will most likely be doing some kind of riding at the shed (gotta break in the new bike) this weekend. everyone seems to be going to wisp for racing though so it looks like there won't be any shuttling... so, i'll probably just ride the drop trails and/or push the bike some. or perhaps hit up elizabeth furnace.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Okay, I haven't ridden with you guys since the days of 'BigJohn', but my new '05 Slider Plus needs to be broken in.

Can someone (through PM) tell me a little about this E trail? You have finally got my curiousity peeked. I ran into DamienC a couple months ago out there on a 'particular' trail and we chatted for a second, but I'm just curious of which trails you guys have named what.

Any help?

Also I don't know what my weekend schedule is yet, but I see a few of you guys are gonna be up there Saturday, anyone Sunday?

Here's a quick little shot I made into my desktop a little while back... (you know where it is)

Attachments

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
gordo_da_gromit said:
Considering this is the second time I've had the bike out of the garage, "E" trails are not a requirement. I have directions to the Hamburg parking lot -- how do I get to the a starting point from there???
tanks -
Gordo
I say go North young man. Explore some of the trails that get less pressure in the NE part of the 'shed. When going N on Gambrill Park Road, don't turn R onto Hamburg Road but continue straight until the road bears R near Tower Road and gov't maintenance ends. Continue on Gambrill Park Road as is becomes a potholed gravel ribbon and after a few minutes, turn R at your first road on the R...this is the Northern terminal tip of Fishing Creek Road...the same road(at least officially) as the one that meanders by "L'il Canaan", the "Drop Trails", "E", etc. and dead ends into Hamburg Road just East of the parking lot you are familiar with. Anyhow, after you turn onto Fishing Creek Road, go straight for a few more minutes until you see a trail snake up the hill on your left just behind a yellow-painted fireroad pipe gate. There is a small pulloff there and you can park and do an out-and-back in either direction along the blue blaze Catoctin Trail that will be fun.

Once you become familiar with the Catoctin(blue) Trail in both directions there where it crosses Fishing Creek Road, explore some of the adjoining singletrack trails that branch off it periodically. After you've done that, get a detailed Frederick County map(ADC, etc.) and plot the locations that the Catoctin Trail(which is maked on the ADC map) crosses roads(shuttle points) along its 26 mile length and explore again in both directions. When you have explored in both directions the Catoctin Trail's various road crossings, you will be familiar enough with the trail and lay of the land to put together shuttle runs that point mostly downhill and incorporate your favorite sections of trail or natural features. Like with women, everyone has a different taste in what runs to hit over eight hours of a given Saturday and my riding buddies and I argue every single weekend over what trail to do next. The good thing is that what I have just suggested to you will take years of great riding to accomplish, as I am still discovering new trails and sections after seven years of biking here. :love:

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
peter6061 said:
Here's a quick little shot I made into my desktop a little while back... (you know where it is)
Sweet! The final drop of the drop trail that dead ends into the Catoctin Trail at the pond just above L'il Canaan. That rock is even more famous as a nookie-gettin' rock than one you would launch off on a bike. Picture Summer nights on it with a lady friend while the fire pit(which you landed by) glows, casting its image onto the adjacent pond as the sounds of nature conceal your carnal indiscretions... :thumb:

el_gordo

Chimp
Jun 13, 2004
DC (Da Capital)
DßR said:
Dude, you're in Williamsburg? I just moved out of there. I had no idea there was anyone else there into dh... oh well...:)

I just got my first DH bike this summer (in California, not many DH bikes locally), and had my first ride-crash-ride at Snowshoe in June. I haven't found any other local who can talk DH since they closed down HDK Bicycles in Hampton. :nopity: Mostly, I ride XC at Freedom Park or Harwoods Mill, but with family up in NoVa, I hope to make it up to the shed more often.

hardtailer88

Chimp
Jul 11, 2004
Bethesda MD
Anyone not working tomorrow want to meet up at the shed? Im definately going in the morning and my buddies and I are lookin for someone to run a shuttle with. Pm me or call me at 301 229 7070. Im thinking about being on the trails at around 10.

tater

Chimp
Aug 9, 2004
i'll be at the shed saturday, sometime throughout the day for a few hours. i got my bike back today, good as new. gonna lube/clean it up tomorrow and be ready to hit the trails saturday :)

tater

Chimp
Aug 9, 2004
yeah i checked the weather for tomorrow too, supposed to rain all day saturday. perhaps a sunday ride will be a better option, i can probably make it out sunday as well.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
I'm still game for Sunday.

Love to get in a few 'practice' runs on E and other stuff.

I don't really have a great car for shuttling (subaru w/ 3 racks on roof - 2 velo vises and a yakima upright)

But it works for a couple passengers inside.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
Well, Saturday ruled. There was a rainstorm early, but no lightning and I only got wet on the first run of the day. After that, it was overcast and cool for a while until the sun finally broke through for a good 3 hours more. Perfect riding weather, really, and the early shower made the trails nice and sketchy. I have a left ankle still swollen 50% again after a full day off it as a reminder that rear tires and wet logs don't mix when you get lazy and drag the ass of the bike around. :nope:

tater

Chimp
Aug 9, 2004
glad you got to ride on saturday. i was in northern va all day, and after the overcast/rainy morning, the rest of the day was awesome. plans changed for me on sunday and i had some more things to take care of so no ride. i'm going to try to make it up there one day this week in the late afternoon/early evening if anyone wants to ride. pm me if you're interested.

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
Thx for sharing Chris! More trails = less pressure on the three main popular routes. Not many DHers/FRers in Midatlantica anyway.

llkoolkeg said:
I say go North young man. Explore some of the trails that get less pressure in the NE part of the 'shed. When going N on Gambrill Park Road, don't turn R onto Hamburg Road but continue straight until the road bears R near Tower Road and gov't maintenance ends. Continue on Gambrill Park Road as is becomes a potholed gravel ribbon and after a few minutes, turn R at your first road on the R...this is the Northern terminal tip of Fishing Creek Road...the same road(at least officially) as the one that meanders by "L'il Canaan", the "Drop Trails", "E", etc. and dead ends into Hamburg Road just East of the parking lot you are familiar with. Anyhow, after you turn onto Fishing Creek Road, go straight for a few more minutes until you see a trail snake up the hill on your left just behind a yellow-painted fireroad pipe gate. There is a small pulloff there and you can park and do an out-and-back in either direction along the blue blaze Catoctin Trail that will be fun.

Once you become familiar with the Catoctin(blue) Trail in both directions there where it crosses Fishing Creek Road, explore some of the adjoining singletrack trails that branch off it periodically. After you've done that, get a detailed Frederick County map(ADC, etc.) and plot the locations that the Catoctin Trail(which is maked on the ADC map) crosses roads(shuttle points) along its 26 mile length and explore again in both directions. When you have explored in both directions the Catoctin Trail's various road crossings, you will be familiar enough with the trail and lay of the land to put together shuttle runs that point mostly downhill and incorporate your favorite sections of trail or natural features. Like with women, everyone has a different taste in what runs to hit over eight hours of a given Saturday and my riding buddies and I argue every single weekend over what trail to do next. The good thing is that what I have just suggested to you will take years of great riding to accomplish, as I am still discovering new trails and sections after seven years of biking here. :love: