Quantcast

Shed This Weekend?

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Get your crew to start pitching in $5 or $10 bucks each for gas and to stop eating all your snacks and you're set.

Sorry about your fall. That stab wound in your back looked painful. I rolled on a rock just before you fell. I landed on my knee pad and then rolled over onto my hydration pack. The bladder took most of the fall for me. I guess being well-hydrated is the key to a successful day.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
jdschall said:
Get your crew to start pitching in $5 or $10 bucks each for gas and to stop eating all your snacks and you're set.

Sorry about your fall. That stab wound in your back looked painful. I rolled on a rock just before you fell. I landed on my knee pad and then rolled over onto my hydration pack. The bladder took most of the fall for me. I guess being well-hydrated is the key to a successful day.

Good call I should start doing that.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Haha. Greg if you buy a big heavy bike and Steven too, you might have to find another ride because, 1) it may not fit in my car and 2) it might be too heavy for my roof rack. So you and Steve better start working on that license. Haha.

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
I think Scott's Banshee Scream weighs more than Steve.

Probably don't want to get one of those, Steve! Can I recommend a used Big Wheel? The compression damping may be a bit harsh, and rebound a bit fast, but it will at least be chuckable for ya. ;)

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
rpk1988 said:
Haha. Greg if you buy a big heavy bike and Steven too, you might have to find another ride because, 1) it may not fit in my car and 2) it might be too heavy for my roof rack. So you and Steve better start working on that license. Haha.

Man, so on top of the 2 to 3 grand for a new bike he's gonna need another couple of g's for a beatup old truck that he'll constantly need to repair because it's beat and old?

Reality is such a harsh mistress. Look on the bright side, leaf raking season is almost here...

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Haha, no his "big bike" isnt a big DH bike. More like a freeride. I believe he might get a Specialized Big Hit. And it probably wont cost a lot. Well not 2G's I can tell you that. Haha.

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
The Big Hits are gonna be 2k and up (or real close to 2k) from what I've heard. Look at the current '05 Big Hit's spec (which sucks) and it's still $2200. The BigHit 3 is rolling on $300 more expensive 888VFs and a $300 Fox DHX. And Specialized for '06 has gotten rid of employee discounts unless the bike is sold to someone who is a "certified" Specialized trainee if I understand correctly.

The Big Hit is looking like more of a downhill setup also, judging from the lack of front derailleur. Though honestly if the front chainring is small enough (read: 32t) it'll work fine.

I have my eye squarely on the BigHit 3 though, as it appears to be all I would want in a somewhat budget DH bike. But just to spite me it'll probably be $3000.

Random thought: After pedalling around on Brunette's bike I'm going to have to make sure whatever I buy next season isn't so front heavy, cause that would drive me nuts.

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
You're probably right. It freaked me out when I picked your bike up by the top tube about half way down and the bike tipped forward til the front touched the ground. Haha.

It's definitely going to be interesting riding a big bike with triple crowns after riding a hardtail for all these years.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
HotButterToppin said:
You're probably right. It freaked me out when I picked your bike up by the top tube about half way down and the bike tipped forward til the front touched the ground. Haha.

It's definitely going to be interesting riding a big bike with triple crowns after riding a hardtail for all these years.

Just get a Rohloff to offset the weight difference :D

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
I could just do the next ride with Steve sitting on my handlebars for a close approximation of what it'll be like. Sure it won't be quite right as the big bike will be heavier than the Steve/hardtail combo, but it'll be close enough for government work (as they say).

;)

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Hahaha. That might work. No his Big Hit would be cheaper if he got it. Its not an employee discount either so. But I dont think he is going to get it because he is strapped for cash. And he can do a lot on his Chase anyway. But yea, the new Big Hit 3's look sick. I saw them in our dealer book. Those and the new Enduros are beautiful.

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
How much for the new BigHit 3?

The BigHit 1 looks decent too, even the weird white-blue-ish paint. It would need another $1000 worth of fork and shock upgrades though. Put an 05 888RC and Fox DHX on there. Needs a bashguard too, oh yeah.

Marzocchi updated their site with all the new 06 stuff which looks very nice. But not cheap. Do you know if the BigHit 3 has the 888VF or 888VF2? Big difference in forks (crazy Marz with their OEM stuff).

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
haha no steve was the one with the chase im greg a big bikes way way more out of my budget... 20 dollars a week :)

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
When I was your age I had a job! I was a caddy. Pay was damn good too, $40 per bag (you carry 2 at once) plus tips. So in 4 hours you could make a solid $100, and if you got up real early on weekends you could go out on two rounds per day. :thumb:

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
That part sucked. I had to be ready to caddy (i.e. there and awake) by 6:30am. Which meant leaving the house at 5:30, which meant getting up before the sun came up.

Anyhow....

Riding the Shed this Sunday. Just heard from a couple of people who I've ridden with before that they're gonna be up there. So Sunday is looking like a 10am start and I'll have to leave by 4 so I can get back to Baltimore for a BBQ. Fun fun. :thumb:

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Greg schools out, but work might not be out. Most people should have off but some people have jobs that dont allow them to get off. Haha. Forget that I am going golfing.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Note to self: Never use butter to assist in the installation of hand grips.

Missed you guys this weekend. My wife and I went backpacking on the AT, just a few miles from the Shed. The weather was great and so were the views.

I'll be up for sure on Saturday the 17th for an all day thang. If I can drag my ass out of bed early enough, I might even make it to rpk's Sunday morning ride. We'll just have to see now won't we?