Quantcast

Shed This Weekend?

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
Anyone interested in riding the Shed this weekend (August 27/28)? I'm game to ride either Saturday or Sunday but not both days, and I'll ride on whichever day looks more positive for weather/people. So post your preference.

I'd like to get a group together, though as usual I'm always game to ride with just a couple people if that's how it works out. I'll be calling/PMing some people as well, but post here if you see this and are interested.

Peace.

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
same... sry i missed u guys on sunday we didnt even get up there till like 5 lol. so i just rode around with my 6 year old nephew... he just learned how to ride a 2 weeler :)

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Looks like I have practice in the morning but I dont think I need to go to it. But I have a hair cut around 10 ish so im thinkin we would be up there around 1 ish. Anyone down for a mid afternoon ride.

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
damnit i thought we were going early! looks like its probly gonna be just me u and steve then lol.

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
I'm waiting to hear back from some people about Sunday. I think my usual riding comadre MattH might be able to go Saturday, but I think his Sunday is bookd (SHOCKER!! ;) ).

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Yea that would be cool if you all could come out on Saturday. You dont mind coming out in the afternoon do you? And so any of you have a pick up truck. Haha..

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
Ok so MattH is busy but a dude from MTBR who I rode with a couple weeks ago is game to do Saturday. So Saturday it is.

What time should we meet? 1pm?

I have a bike rack that'll hold a few bikes, and the other guy has one as well. Really all we need to do is park a couple cars at the bottom each time and we should be good for a few shuttles. I don't have a truck, though buying one seems more and more like a better option than my car.

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
i think rpks still at football practice but yea 1pm uhh i guess pm rpk on where to meet hes driving

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
So 1 PM, but where at the old tower or by the drop trails. PM me HBT with your phone # too so I can let you know whats up.

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
Meet up top.

I think we can rig up some sort of shuttle arrangements w/cars if no one has a truck. We usually do the other trails later in the day. Shouldn't be too hard to work stuff out so long as the we all meet at the top. Plus we might find some others to ride with, maybe.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Yea I have a car with a bike rack on top for two bikes and one in the back. Someone else might be coming that has a SUV. But looks like we are all just going to have bike racks. So that will prob work out. So 1 P.M. on top across from the old towa. PM you cell # HBT.

Matt H

Monkey
Aug 8, 2005
Maryland (Baltimore area)
*shakes head*....yeah that Matt H., he's such a tool....

oh wait....

Yeap this weekend isn't good for me to go to Frederick, sorry guys. Hopefully some day in September I can make it.

I know it's SHORT notice (like 3 hours, oops :eek: ), but I'm gonna get a twilight ride in at Loch Raven in Timonium around 7 this evening....hotbuttertoppin will probably be there, and you may get a good laugh since this is the my first ride on platforms (coming off of clipless).

PM me if you want to meet up, I'm thinking the intersection of Dulaney Valley rd and Seminary, Timonium, round 7.

Otherwise, you guys have fun this weekend!

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Hey, y'all I'll be there around 1. I have the truck so I can shuttle 4 + bikes. Five it we get all cuddly and shiz. My wife and dog are coming to hike. I might need to get one of your cell numbers so she can find us if need be. (We've only got 1 phone).

Anyway, I'll email HBT for directions. I'm pretty sure I know the spot but I want to be sure.

See ya.

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
Looks like it's shaping up to be a pretty decent amount of people.

Who's bringing the beer?!?!

Yeah I rode with Matt during his maiden voyage on flats. No comedy stacks, but I say it's only a matter of time before he does what I did...go too fast into a corner, get a foot shaken loose, and go for a tumble off the back. Hehehe.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
JDschall, did HBT give you his cell number. If not, PM me and I will get it to you by tomorrow sometime. Fine nvm I will do it anyway.

oldskoolbiker

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Alexandria, VA
Guys,

It's pouring down the here in Alexandria right now, and it doesn't have any signs of letting up. So I think you can count me out of this ride.

I enjoy the slipping and sliding, but I have plenty of excuses not to go.

1) Don't want to mess up the trails by riding them when wet.
2) I hate being wet.
3) Doing the massive clean and lube that is always required after riding the bike in muddy conditions.

Whoever goes I hope you enjoy the ride!

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Well end of story, he did go. Haha. It was actually a pretty fun ride. Of course we took some falls. I took one because my wheel caught a rock I guess and it just shot me down. Now I have a big cut on my back. Then we rode the drop trails and they were wet but fun. All this Shed riding makes me want to do new stuff to my bike. Like a new fork, brakes...hmmmm. Cya.

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
Yeah it was a good ride and the on/off rain (on when riding, off when chillin', bah) made it pretty interesting. And by interesting I mean slick death rocks of....death.

You should have brought the Prophet, dude. Though it was pretty funny seeing 5 hardtails and 2 full sussers tearing around. After my comedy stack off that otherwise innocent looking rock I'm convinced I should buy a full facer. Felt like I got hit in the chin by Mike Tyson as my shoulder and then face led the way into a stump. Ow.

As always, looking forward to more rides. Probably not next weekend as it's a holiday that is better spent at barbeques eating crabs and drinking. The weekend after that I may (hopefully) be headed to Snowshoe with Oldskoolbiker (his wife permitting).

Either way, it was a good time with good people and I look forward to doing it again (though not tomorrow). Hehe.

oldskoolbiker

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Alexandria, VA
Well I got back and got my bike cleaned up. All the rain coming back pretty much washed all the mud off. I took my dremel tool and smoothed out those scratches on my fork, so hopefully it will be ok.

I can't beleive this trip I hit that big jump at the end of the downhill trail and it felt small. That really means I'm progressing. I also did stuff on the drop trails I wouldn't even have considered before.

Of course I really lost the mood to do drops after I fell over on that slick rock and scratched up my fork.

HBT, here is the page for the snowshoe event: http://ride.snowshoemtn.com/mayhem.html

I'll do my best to convince my wife. I think I'll have a pretty good shot at it.

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
Yeah the downpour on the ride home cleaned my bike off completely, and then dried it since it wasn't raining in Baltimore at all.

I'll see if I can talk my buddy into talking his girlfriend into letting us use/rent-for-cheap her condo there and maybe make it a cheaper trip. While you may be loaded (or may not be, I don't know) I certainly am strapped for cash at the moment and could stand to pay less than $185. Hehe. I'll let ya know in a couple days max.

Brunettes

Monkey
Jul 27, 2005
East Coast
dremel? I found that it was JB weld that you should use to fill it in alittle then wetsand it with some fine grit.

My bike was still dirty..clean now though.

oldskoolbiker

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Alexandria, VA
I used the dremmel to sand off a "brr" that was sticking up. I don't think fine sand paper would have any chance of removing it. Do you have a link to the site or thread that shows how to use that JB Weld and fine sand paper? I think that may work for the rest of the rough spots.

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
yesterday was fun i hope your forks okay. sry i didnt react and like get to u... just u sorta looked like u had it undercontrol.

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
My right shoulder where I made an untimely impact with the ground is sore as hell today. Not bad enough where the arm isn't useful, but it's definitely painful if I rotate it certain ways.

I was expecting my face to be rather sore but apparently a few years of boxing and many years of fighting have toughened the chin.....or it'll just fall off tomorrow.

Stupid slippery rock! I can't even remember how it was that I fell, it was that retarded.

Matt H

Monkey
Aug 8, 2005
Maryland (Baltimore area)
rpk1988 said:
......All this Shed riding makes me want to do new stuff to my bike. Like a new fork, brakes...hmmmm. Cya.
LOL....yeah I hear that. Just one shed ride makes me want to do a bunch of things to my bike....IE, strip my aftermarket addons and SELL it for a full suspension :thumb:

But we'll see....closed on a house in May, doing some work on that, and my car is on the last toe of it's last leg. If that POS holds together, MAYBE I'll pick something up over the winter.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Hey y'all. I had fun too. I spent an hour or so yesterday getting all the gunk off the bike and tuning it up. I'm missing some big chunks of paint on the frame and rear d. Not even sure how that happened. My last run down the hill after you guys took off for the drops was pretty cool. I went right instead of left and ended up on some smooth fast trails. I came out all the way at the bottom of the hill. I think it took maybe 10 minutes to get down. I almost beat my wife Christine who was driving the truck to the parking lot.

Thanks for letting me and Christine save the little doggy. I'm just glad it didn't live on the other side of Frederick. and Sorry we had to leave so soon. I didn't want to leave Christine out in the rain any longer. She was a really good sport about it though!

I'll PM the pictures I took to their rightful owners this afternoon. I doubt I should post them here. Is Brunettes who I think he is or somebody else? Let me know.

D.

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
Yeah thanks for running shuttle.

A few weeks ago when we were there my bike came back missing some paint in the seatstays and I chalked that up to being hoisted into a truck with 8 other bikes. If the downhill runs themselves don't kill the bike the shuttle man-handling will! Platform pedals, making short work of shins AND frames.

TOo bad you couldn't ride longer. We sessioned the drop trails for a while. And by sessioned I mean that I watched other people session it while I thought of creative excuses to not ride stuff......seriously guys, if you knew anything about planetary alignment you'd know why I can't huck this stuff today!

I did ride a couple of steep things that made people cringe in fear for my life. There was some pretty mad nose-diving action at one point but that worked itself out later....just in time for Oldskool to eat it face first into some rocks. I'm going to start shouting PEDAL KICK!!! at him right before he drops stuff from now on. ;)

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
HotButterToppin said:
I did ride a couple of steep things that made people cringe in fear for my life. There was some pretty mad nose-diving action at one point but that worked itself out later....

That BeyondBikes sale on fullface helmets is sounding better and better....

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Yea, thanks for shuttling jdschall. After that first pipe run and taking a fall that I am feeling in my arm now, I didnt really want to ride much more. See as it was cold, wet, and just down right nasty. But on the way over to the drop trails we had the heater on full blast and it had stopped raining so I was good for a while. But then once we got on the trail, it started raining again. Bummer. But it was all good. I want to go back up there when it is dry and try more drops. Dustin finally started getting his nose to rise up and he started looking like a real professional DH'er. Hahah. But all and all it was a good day.

Hope to see you guys in the next couple off weeks. I am taking the High Rollers off my Prophet because I ordered Negeval's for it, so the HR's will go on the P.1. And HBT, I would of brought my Prophet, but I like how easy my P.1 is to manuver. The Prophet has a long ass wheel base. Maybe I will bring it sometime. See you guys later.