Quantcast

Sheldon Brown

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
His health had been declining for the past few years. The last I heard, he was not able to ride at all.

It's definitely a loss for cycling.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
:plthumbsdown: :(

That's too bad. He's been sick for a while now. Rest in peace o' knower of all things bikey.

Edit: Weird, I just checked his blog. He posts almost daily and his last entry was yesterday. It must have been somewhat sudden. From the tone of his recent posts, it sounded as if he had actually been making progress with his MS. So sad, so sad indeed.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
I passed by him at the show this year and took a minute to introduce myself and thank him for putting together such a great resource. I'm really glad I did that when I had the chance. My condolences to any family or friends reading this. He will be missed.

splat

Nam I am
From Urban Velo

Sheldon Brown, 1944-2008. Word has come from his wife that Sheldon Brown passed away last night from a massive heart attack. Countless cyclists have been inspired and influenced by Sheldon’s vast writings of his seemingly endless cycling knowledge. I can remember stumbling upon his website years and years ago, and continually referring to it for tough problems. He will be greatly missed by the cycling community.

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
Like many others, I learned quite a bit about how to repair my bike through his website. It was always a help when I was over-my-head, surrounded by bike bits and stumped on how to continue.

RIP Sheldon.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Here's the anouncement thread in rec.bicycles.tech newsgroup that Sheldon frequented...

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.tech/browse_thread/thread/3672a10cba07b4b7?hl=en#9c1e3512ff743296

This one from Jobst Brandt stood out to me...

NO! The trees in my forest are not allowed to fall. I am saddened to
see my good friend leave. It seems just yesterday that he and I rode
under blue skies along the Santa Cruz surf and up through the redwoods
along the San Andreas fault. I feel honored to have ridden with him.

Long live his memory and his accomplishments!

http://sheldonbrown.com/home.html

Jobst Brandt
Goodbye Sheldon! :(

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
I used Sheldon's fool-proof resources to lace my first wheel years ago. He did a tremendous service to the do-it-yourselfers out there and I'll miss him! RIP.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
RIP

sheldon brown, jobst brandt, and mike vandeman (sadly) are forever entrenched into my memory from r.b.tech way back in the day.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
end of an era... loss of a legend... however you wanna cut the cake. His legacy and volumes of information will carry on to new generations of cyclists.

::moment of silence::