Quantcast

Sherando Ride Pics

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Went for a nice spin at Lake Sherondo, my closest "mountain" ride. I went with my friend Bob who is one fast ****er so I spent most of my time trying to play catch and didn't get many pictures in, but I thought I'd share what I did take.

Things start off with an slight climb on some fire road for a few miles until you hit the base of the real climb. 7 steep singletrack switchbacks. Normally a very tough climb on the legs made even tougher by all the leaf fall. Couldn't see the loose rocks on the trail and hitting them would send you off line or spinning out. About 1800 ft of climbing to the ridgeline at about 3400 ft. The view from the top.

From there it we headed down Torrey ridge for a while. Fast downhill rocky singletrack that always provides a good challenge. Rocky goodness.

Turned off onto a trail known as Slacks that takes you off the ridge down towards the lake. Nice flowing singletrack, pretty much all downhill. A nice payoff from the leg searing climb. I managed to do a nice endo after hitting a log in the middle of the trail that was hidden by all the leaves. I was lucky to get away with just a few bruises. At the lower altitudes most of the leaves were still on the trees showing some nice colors.

At the end of the trail we had a bit of a road ride back to the car.

The original plan was to climb back up the switchbacks and come down another trail but I was beat and called it a day.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Awesome. I haven't been down to Sherando. My wife and I are going to the Big Schloss / North Mountains area this weekend for a little camp, bike and hike. Hopefully the nice weather will hold out. We'll probably stick to riding the fire roads instead of the trails. My wife would cry if she saw that rock garden.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
jdschall said:
Awesome. I haven't been down to Sherando. My wife and I are going to the Big Schloss / North Mountains area this weekend for a little camp, bike and hike. Hopefully the nice weather will hold out. We'll probably stick to riding the fire roads instead of

That rock garden is fun. There are a few there that have much bigger, looser rocks. Still fun but the fun to danger ratio is much higher.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Cool pics man. Some friends and I rode that trail a few weeks ago after hitting wintergreen on saturday...needless to say we were on dh bikes...which was rough on the way up, but was super fun on the way down...it was definitely sketchy hauling ass over all those loose rocks (but at least we could see them since the leaves weren't down yet). The views up there were great, wish I coulda seen it with the fall colors.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
SuboptimusPrime said:
Cool pics man. Some friends and I rode that trail a few weeks ago after hitting wintergreen on saturday...needless to say we were on dh bikes...which was rough on the way up, but was super fun on the way down...it was definitely sketchy hauling ass over all those loose rocks (but at least we could see them since the leaves weren't down yet). The views up there were great, wish I coulda seen it with the fall colors.

Sherando can be shuttled. Personally I enjoy the challenge of the climb as much as the descent. My Yeti 575 is the perfect bike for handling both.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
What part of VA is that in?

With age my VA memories are fading fast.

E

enkidu

With all the rhodies april(?) / may(?) ride must be nice, too.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Westy said:
That rock garden is fun. There are a few there that have much bigger, looser rocks. Still fun but the fun to danger ratio is much higher.
I rode in Frederick MD this weekend. I love me some rocks. Except when both wheels unexpectedly fall into ruts between two rocks at the same time and you stop dead and rack yourself on your stem. That I am not so fond of.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Westy said:
Sherando can be shuttled. Personally I enjoy the challenge of the climb as much as the descent. My Yeti 575 is the perfect bike for handling both.
While something like a 575 would be perfect, the climb made me a real believer in the do-all capabilities of my VPFree...even with a monster T on the front, I only had to hike some of the switchbacks...everything else was fine/fun.

CHOP

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Rivermont, Va
Westy, you should have stayed on Torrey Ridge and either dropped in at the lower lake or at the furnance. 90% downhill with a few nasty rock gardens. Of course Torrey to Slacks to White Gap is a blast also.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
CHOP said:
Westy, you should have stayed on Torrey Ridge and either dropped in at the lower lake or at the furnance. 90% downhill with a few nasty rock gardens. Of course Torrey to Slacks to White Gap is a blast also.
I've done that before, almost got ran over by a black bear on that trail. Slacks just seemed like a good idea for the day.