Quantcast

SHerman firefly 90mm position ok?

stubby

Turbo Monkey
Mar 5, 2005
Davidson, NC AKA DURTY THIRTY
I just orderd a manitou sherman firefly 04, i would like to use it for dirt jumping in the 90mm postion and 130 for freeride and slalom in both. I read somewhere on here that I will blow my fork if i run it in the 90 mm position, is this true? if so is there a way i can lock it out? by the way i am running it on an 04 specialized p2. thanks for help,

paul

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
I've heard mixed reviews on running the firefly in the lower travel position. I had the same fork you are referring to on my endless which I used mainly for urban stuff. I thought it was too nice a fork to blow up using the limited travel so I sold it and got a dj1 set at 110mm. I've heard a lot of people say they run theirs lowered with no problems. It's a dice roll I guess...

ufdff15

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Central Massachusetts
i rode my firefly in the 90mm setting all last summer dirt jumping and street ride and never had a problem, but you are increasing the odds of it blowing up. So ride it @ 90mm at your own risk, you might be fine but it might blow up? Good luck.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
it's either 130 or 90, no in betweens. If you do a web search for sherman travel reduction or "reducing sherman travel" you might find the link of the guy that did a write up on how to modify the internals to pretty much any travel you want less than 130. I read it a few months back. I think it was monkey Boy Boy that posted it IIRC...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I just lowered the travel (non-adjustable) on an 03 firefly which is the same as an 04.

If you really want, I can take it apart and take some photos of what I did. It's pretty simple if you're comfortable disecting forks. You'll need to order a shorter spring (like from a mantiou black) or do what I did and cut down an extra stiff firefly spring.

Running it in short travel will not "blow it up". What it might do is break the wire retaining tab that keeps it in short travel. Works for some people, breaks for others from what I've seen.

Either way, I think modifying a firefly is better than buying an overpriced jumper that comes with too soft a spring anyway.

Let me know if you want the grusome details. I've got a tweaked ankle right now so it's not like I'll be cutting into riding time when I get home.. :dead:

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
Mr Tiles said:
Thank you. It's completely different now, i.e. singlespeed, pike team, dual 24s. It's my favorite bike of all time!
Damn, that sounds sick! do you have any pictures of it in its current form? Post it if you do, I want to see how an endless looks built up that way.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
scurban said:
Damn, that sounds sick! do you have any pictures of it in its current form? Post it if you do, I want to see how an endless looks built up that way.
I'm building the 24s this weekend. It's 26/24 now. The current hoops are trailpimps and I'm going to relace the hubs to rhyno lite XLs to save some pretty significant weight. Once I get it all together I'll post a pic or two.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
I've been wanting to see an endless built up with duel 24's, and a 100mm fork for a while, just because I've always wanted to build one up that way myself. So yeah, pm me some pictures when you get it together, I am really interested to see how it comes out!