Quantcast

Shicver sc or 4x wc for dj/trail riding

ricky™

Chimp
Jul 8, 2007
Hey both of these forks have dome up for sale and are both in the same price range basicly, the shivers are the 03 model and have had new bushing/seals/oil and a full service, the 4x's are 8months old now im unsure about what one to go for talked asked a guy i know and he reckons the shiver because its a bit higher than the 4x but im stuck in the middle, ill be using my hardtail for mainly dj, light dh, trail riding and commuting everyonce and a while so yea any opinions really appreciated
Cheers

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
I don't understand why your buddy recommended the Shiver over the 4X just because it's a little bit higher... ?

I had a Giant AC1, I believe it was the first year they came out, and it had a Marz Shiver SC on the front. It was a noodle. I loved it at the time, but compared to what is on the market these days I would not go back.

and honestly, if you are doing mostly trail riding and light DH with a little bit of DJ thrown in there, I'd look at some other forks. Probably something with adjustable travel/A-C height, like the RS Pike, that sounds like a primo solution to what you are looking for.

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
he sent it back to marzocchi and they fixed it up... he never told me what was wrong.
Nothing that heavier oil can't fix, or maybe he does not have any oil in it, marzocchi is known to ship forks with low to no oil in them.

Monkey
the 03 Shiver SC was the one with 5-inch travel and an ECC. it was a good fork but people complained of the stiffness.

in 04 the Shiver SC went to 4-inch travel. One of the best fork I have ever owned. They did away with the ECC, retained the HSCV, etc.

so if I had the money I would pick the 4x over the 03 Shiver SC. it's a toss up between the 4x and the 04 Shiver SC for me.