Quantcast

shifter repair question

Krash

Chimp
Jul 29, 2013
I've got an old Trek mountain bike (from the 90s) that has a broken right (back) shifter, and I think the front shifter is bad also. It has a Shimano Deore LX shifter set (3x/7x) and CANTILEVER brakes. I'd like to fix it for as little as possible. Anyway, I was a shifter/brake lever combo set (shimano EF-51) on Amazon for about $30 that has rave reviews, but... it is for a V-brake. I think with my cantilever brakes, the v-brake levers won't give much braking power?
Am I right and would this be a mistake?
Looking at the current brake lever/shifter combo on my Trek, I'm not sure if I can remove just the shifter? And would the EF-51 then attach ok?
Any good ideas on a low-cost solution?

Krash

Chimp
Jul 29, 2013
I've got an old Trek mountain bike (from the 90s) that has a broken right (back) shifter, and I think the front shifter is bad also. It has a Shimano Deore LX shifter set (3x/7x) and CANTILEVER brakes. I'd like to fix it for as little as possible. Anyway, I was a shifter/brake lever combo set (shimano EF-51) on Amazon for about $30 that has rave reviews, but... it is for a V-brake. I think with my cantilever brakes, the v-brake levers won't give much braking power?
Am I right and would this be a mistake?
Looking at the current brake lever/shifter combo on my Trek, I'm not sure if I can remove just the shifter? And would the EF-51 then attach ok?
Any good ideas on a low-cost solution?
Bump...
Anyone have any thoughts on this? Specifically, if I put the shifter/lever set on and it is for V-brakes and my old bike has cantilever brakes, will I have poor braking?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
the difference between canti's and v-brake levers is the cable pull. v-brakes are liner pull, canti's are not - the levers pull much less cable (can't remember exactly how much). you couldn't use canti levers with v-brakes (they don't pull enough cable). in theory you could get away with using v-levers and canti brakes, but it wouldn't be a great setup. it would be super finicky, you'd pull the lever a tiny amount and it would lock the brakes up.

GodSmack

Chimp
May 27, 2013
BC
Been there done that. shell out the 30 bucks. The brakes will feel ok. You can get v brakes for close to nothing because nobody uses them. Hell every old timer probably has a set hiding in the basement collecting dust.
My commuter bikes uses canties with v brake levers.