Quantcast

Shimano 10 thru 12 speed shift ratios?

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Anyone know if the shift ratios remain unchanged between 10 thru 12 speed mechs for Shimano?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I know I had a bookmark about that somewhere, but I can't find it. In the meantime, this could be useful.

So, Shimano now has three mutually incompatible 11spd MTB groupsets?
:think:
That sounds like a bigger shitshow than their brake lever / shifter integration mess.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
I know I had a bookmark about that somewhere, but I can't find it. In the meantime, this could be useful.

Seen that. This is also another goodie.

My drivetrain is hardly functional so I'm wanting to build up something that I believe would better address my needs since the current crop of drivetrain systems seem to be optimized for a different target user. Full steel cassette = less wear and tooth chipping compared to all this alu stuff, 42 tooth max cog size = Not trying to be tough, but this is all I need for a 29er and helps keep weight down, 8 speed cog width = less hertzian contact stresses and less wear, and 8 speed cogs/chains = improved ability to backpedal without the chain jumping.

There are a few companies trying to market to more of the niche customer such as myself, but no way in heck I'm betting on a Microshift shifter/mech or let alone something from Box.

Current plan is a mishmash of a couple cassettes to get an 11-12-15-18-23-28-34-42 spread, This will probably be in the ~460 gram range which is pretty darn good considering the current dinner plates. Shimano GS clutch derailleur (to be determined which model depending on shift ratio), and an X0 9 speed shifter.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Seen that. This is also another goodie.

Yeah, posted this here a long time ago and had a quick look at it yesterday when I saw your question. But it's rather old now and has no information on 12spd stuff so I didn't answer right away. My guess would be that pull-action ratio is still different between the two S'
I'm still on the 11spd ship and am running X01 shifter+derailleur with either X01 cassette or an XTR one, both working fine. And Shimano cranks. So I can't come up with anything useful regarding your original question.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
I've seen that mod for 9 speed systems.

So empirically, 10 and 11 speed Shimano mechs can be interchanged without issue from some quick internet sleuthing. I haven't considered seeing if it is the same case with the 12 speed mechs as well, but with the part market being what it is, I don't see any need to get something newer over an M8000 GS mech.

Based on the figures that are floating out there an old 1:1 SRAM 9 speed shifter should mate perfectly to a Shimano mech for an 8 or under speed drivetrain. Parts are arriving tomorrow so I'll report back once I get everything together. Holding off on buying the second cassette to get the spread I'm after until I validate function.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
There are a few companies trying to market to more of the niche customer such as myself, but no way in heck I'm betting on a Microshift shifter/mech or let alone something from Box.

Current plan is a mishmash of a couple cassettes to get an 11-12-15-18-23-28-34-42 spread, This will probably be in the ~460 gram range which is pretty darn good considering the current dinner plates. Shimano GS clutch derailleur (to be determined which model depending on shift ratio), and an X0 9 speed shifter.
I've been happy with Microshift Advent 9spd clutch mech, their ball-bearing push-push shifter, and an 11-46 cassette. Seems a shit ton easier and cheaper than frankenbiking it.

I tried an 11-40 Sunrace with XO 9spd shifter and it wouldn't work. Concentric placement of the jockey wheels with the derailleur cage pivot didn't yield enough space to clear the big cog. The offset placement of the advent was much better and the system worked without a hitch.

For $110 or so total shipped for mech, shifter, cassette, and a mid-level SRAM chain, I am super-happy.

Cons: it is inelegant-looking and the cogset is heavy.

Also the clutch engage switch is in an absurd place and the plastic switch cover broke/shook/smeared off immediately on my first ride, but I can still move the metal lever to which it anchored just fine.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
I've been happy with Microshift Advent 9spd clutch mech, their ball-bearing push-push shifter, and an 11-46 cassette. Seems a shit ton easier and cheaper than frankenbiking it.

I tried an 11-40 Sunrace with XO 9spd shifter and it wouldn't work. Concentric placement of the jockey wheels with the derailleur cage pivot didn't yield enough space to clear the big cog. The offset placement of the advent was much better and the system worked without a hitch.

For $110 or so total shipped for mech, shifter, cassette, and a mid-level SRAM chain, I am super-happy.

Cons: it is inelegant-looking and the cogset is heavy.

Also the clutch engage switch is in an absurd place and the plastic switch cover broke/shook/smeared off immediately on my first ride, but I can still move the metal lever to which it anchored just fine.
Yea, I'm not ready to guinea pig the microshift mech and shifter, although it sounds like it is passible since at least it has had actual reviews on Pinkbike. When digging through to spec out my franken-system, I came across a BOX 8 speed 1st look from ~2 years ago that promised a long term follow up....and well that turned into crickets.... I've also seen some pretty catastrophic failures with their parts.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
I was trying to find another link where some German dude was putting rc car dampers on 9s derailuers instead of a clutch (which I think is probably better than the friction clutches) I think he ended up doing a spacer or something to make 10s derailuers work as 9s.

I also saw somewhere where someone drilled a hole before the clamping screw and stuck the cable through and clamped it in the back
I hope that makes sense. This is to shorten the lever up for whatever his application was.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Found it.
And it paid off
The dudes name is beer pregnant
I guess that's German for beer belly

I hope it makes a wicked hissing noise as the damper goes through its travel.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Found it.
And it paid off
The dudes name is beer pregnant
I guess that's German for beer belly

that's dope! My shimano clutch has started making noise, I may have to rebuild it or whatever.

I still want to see if I can run AXS on 11 speed...I haven't seen anything definitive and I don't want to drop the cash to try it.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
1x8 drivetrain complete.

Just starting with the Microshift cassette as is before cutting her up to get a ~20%'ish step per shift.

Works fine. Only observation is that the quality of the 8 speed chain is pretty trash with a lot of 'slop' between links.

I searched a little, but does anyone make a high quality 8 speed chain? Otherwise I may try a narrower 9+ speed chain just to get something tighter in there. Currently using a KMC X8.

Shout out to my bro man @schwaaa31 for having an old X9 in his parts bin.

I'll follow up on my less is more thoughts after I can give it a proper beating.

IMG_20210506_205244438_MP_copy_2304x1728_1.jpg
IMG_20210506_205211243_MP_copy_2304x1728.jpg
IMG_20210506_205158817_MP_copy_2304x1728.jpg

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I can't remember what model of 8 speed chain I used to use for singlespeed, but I know I've got one left brand new in my box o' chains. I'll take a look.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
If price is any indicator, the Connex 8SX is damn expensive for an 8sp. chain. Anyone have any experience with the brand?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I have an older 8spd SRAM chain NIB that I bought from Chainlove. Not sure what lever, probably 870 or higher. Yours for the price of a beer and a good story. I don't think I'll go back to 8speed even though it's so much better.

I've got an 11-32 XTR cassette and XTR shifter in 8 speed as well

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
---

So do people just hit the "bad spelling" reaction now to make you pick through your own post out of malice, or what?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
1x8 drivetrain complete.

Just starting with the Microshift cassette as is before cutting her up to get a ~20%'ish step per shift.

Works fine. Only observation is that the quality of the 8 speed chain is pretty trash with a lot of 'slop' between links.

I searched a little, but does anyone make a high quality 8 speed chain? Otherwise I may try a narrower 9+ speed chain just to get something tighter in there. Currently using a KMC X8.

Shout out to my bro man @schwaaa31 for having an old X9 in his parts bin.

I'll follow up on my less is more thoughts after I can give it a proper beating.

View attachment 159950View attachment 159951View attachment 159952
20210507_095212_resized.jpg

Let me know if it would be of any use.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
So do people just hit the "bad spelling" reaction now to make you pick through your own post out of malice, or what?
I occasionally leave random feedback accidentally while scrolling through posts on my phone. Easy to do especially when using the right hand.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
So likely a fair amount of bias, but first ride on the 8 speed drivetrain went well. First impressions were what I expected. Each shift is purposeful and results in meaningful % change in gearing.

Quality of the shifting is good. Downshifts were very defined and upshifts were smoother than I expected. No lost chains with a narrow wide ring and the M8000 mech down some reasonable downhill. So far happy with the experiment. Time will tell if this addresses some of the primary issues I had with the current crop of 11-12spd.

IMG_20210508_075847275_MP_copy_2304x1728.jpg

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
I have an older 8spd SRAM chain NIB that I bought from Chainlove. Not sure what lever, probably 870 or higher. Yours for the price of a beer and a good story. I don't think I'll go back to 8speed even though it's so much better.

I've got an 11-32 XTR cassette and XTR shifter in 8 speed as well
View attachment 159982

Let me know if it would be of any use.
Glad to know this experiment is a good way to get cheap parts from people's part bins. Appreciate the offers, but I suspect that I wouldn't be able to make good use of these.

@Sandwich happy to keep you posted about my random and more often than not super early AM rides. I think I owe @CrabJoe StretchPants and @Adventurous a little tour as well. I'm currently eyeing a 6am'er this Sunday fyi.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Glad to know this experiment is a good way to get cheap parts from people's part bins. Appreciate the offers, but I suspect that I wouldn't be able to make good use of these.

@Sandwich happy to keep you posted about my random and more often than not super early AM rides. I think I owe @CrabJoe StretchPants and @Adventurous a little tour as well. I'm currently eyeing a 6am'er this Sunday fyi.
Keep me posted. Honestly I'm finding that getting up at the ass crack may be easier than trying to plan a nooner....

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Quick update. Got my first downhill day in with the new drivetrain.

A few observations
  • This 8spd frankentrain shifted way better than a friend who had a Box Prime 9 on his Commencal. Probably says more about the Box stuff more than anything. The Box shifter I would say felt better than my X9, but the rear mech had a lot of flex and slop in it and the cassette and chain interaction didn't feel very good. Love to give an old X0 9 spd shifter a try if anyone has a spare floating around.....the X9 is kind of a so so build quality and the X0 was the only real 9 spd shifter worth a damn that Sram produced.
  • I'm running an 11-12 spd narrow wide with a top guide. Not a single dropped chain with the wider 8spd chain going through some pretty rough stuff at a rapid pace.
  • Aside from the needing to shift through less gears another thing that I'm really digging that became more apparent with some downhill was how locked into the gears the system is. No ghost shifting or chains partially dropping/half wrapping around the cassette resulting in that awkward feeling when you get on the gas and the chain resets. It's one of those things that is hard to appreciate until you feel it. Basically I felt comfortable hammering confidently on straights, flat section, and out of any corner without any timidness that the chain had become unsettled due to the preceding terrain.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
[impressed]

You think a lot more than I do about your drivetrain.

[/impressed]

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
  • This 8spd frankentrain shifted way better than a friend who had a Box Prime 9 on his Commencal. Probably says more about the Box stuff more than anything. The Box shifter I would say felt better than my X9, but the rear mech had a lot of flex and slop in it and the cassette and chain interaction didn't feel very good. Love to give an old X0 9 spd shifter a try if anyone has a spare floating around.....the X9 is kind of a so so build quality and the X0 was the only real 9 spd shifter worth a damn that Sram produced.
Been running one for 10 years. Has been solid. My backup is an x9. Big difference in visible build quality. Wish I had a spare to throw your way.