Quantcast

Shimano 105 or Ultegra STI, r. derailleur, cassette, and chain?

Colin

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
in my tiny apartment
Hi,

Given that the price difference is so close, would you go for an Ultegra or 105 kit for your new bike? I'm building up a 'cross bike and want to do it right. So, what would you do? The price difference is only around $50, and I'm leaning towards the Ultegra bits.

Thanks!

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by Colin
Hi,

Given that the price difference is so close, would you go for an Ultegra or 105 kit for your new bike? I'm building up a 'cross bike and want to do it right. So, what would you do? The price difference is only around $50, and I'm leaning towards the Ultegra bits.

Thanks!
go w/ the ultegra stuff. the cassette and chainrings are going to be a bit nicer, same goes w/ the shifters. getting the ulterga maybe a problem right now b/c "supposedly" none of the distributors have ANYTHING ulterga instock......

jon cross

Monkey
Jan 27, 2004
Banner Elk, NC
Lose the Shimano chain. Go with a 105 cog and Ultegra shifters and rear derrailleur. If you want a front der. on your 'cross bike just use 105 or even Sora- I personally prefer to stick with a single ring up front.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
One more thought. Most of the cx bikes I have seen built up had 110mm cranks to run a ~36/46 rings in front. Shimano road spiders = 135mm. If you want lower CX gearing, the 110mm cranks will give you more options.