Quantcast

Shimano 105 vs. Shimano Ultegra

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
IS there a huge jump in performance between these two levels?

The reason I ask is there are some good prices on these cranksets via chucksbikes.com but I was wondering if the Ultegra is worth the extra $20 or so?

Thanks.

Mark

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I can't imagine there's a performance difference at all on the cranks. Perhaps the BB. The cranks are probably just lighter.

As for performance differences, there are rumors that 105 brifters are more reliable than ultegra. Rumors that a number of the other ultegra parts are more reliable than DA.

WHY are you getting new cranks? Different length?

I went from 170s to 175 and saw an immediate difference in performance and comfort. I probably should be on 177.5

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I'm thinking of building a a road bike up. I probably did a foolish thing earlier this week by selling my Jamis Quest, but what's done is done.

Now I'm contemplating slowly building up a road bike from the frame on up over the winter. 172.5s are good road cranks for me.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
The rings on Ultegra cranks are definitely a bit nicer. Weight difference is minimal. Personally for $20 I would probably go for it. Better shifting in the long run. It all depends on how set you are on saving money though. What type of parts are you building the bike up with? There is always soemthing nice about having a full set. In which case 105 would be awesome.

2006 105 will be 10-speed and have an external bb(or so I've been told). So you may want to wait for that.

The Ito

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
The cranks are 100grams lighter, nearly a 1/4 pound and it's rotational weight so it's exponential in importance. The cranks are also considerably stiffer which not only makes for better shifting but it also makes your pedals more efficient. The rings are also ramped a little better. You choose, my choice is Dura Ace.

J

JRB

MMcG said:
I'm thinking of building a a road bike up. I probably did a foolish thing earlier this week by selling my Jamis Quest, but what's done is done.

Now I'm contemplating slowly building up a road bike from the frame on up over the winter. 172.5s are good road cranks for me.
hmm - I might have most of a road bike for you. How tall are you? I wouldn't run 172.5s and I am 6 feet. I have Tomasso frame, Ouza Comp fork, CC S2 headset, ultegra cranks, ultegra BB, Rolf Vector Comp wheels, Ritchey stem, Titec post, several saddles, cheap brake levers, cheap brakes, SS set up with 2 x 1 shifting, nearly new black 105 STIs, but no cassette or nice calipers. Those are cheap though. Let me know if you may be interested. TT is 56 cm. Oh and Salsa short and shallow bars.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I don't really buy the significance of rotational weight. I mean, once you get it spinning, it's not really a factor. And conversely, like with wheels, if it's heavy enough, then the physics of momentum will carry you through rough spots.

Granted, your style of riding is should determine what you ride.

J

JRB

LordOpie said:
I don't really buy the significance of rotational weight. I mean, once you get it spinning, it's not really a factor. And conversely, like with wheels, if it's heavy enough, then the physics of momentum will carry you through rough spots.

Granted, your style of riding is should determine what you ride.
uhm - heavy wheels suck ass on a roadie. :mumble:

J

JRB

LordOpie said:
"heavy" is relative. I'm not talking about 3000 gr steel wheels.
200 gr difference is noticeable to me. Between 1600 and 1800.