Quantcast

Shimano 12 speed XT chain

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Anyone use an XT 12 speed chain? Any good?

I currently have what I think is a deore chain (not sure, a buddy gave it to me) and it must have absolutely zero corrosion protection. The outer links are now all brown with surface rust. I've done a few crazy heavy rain rides lately, but have always dried and lubed the chain after. Not impressed, even for a cheapo chain.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
For Shimano drive train, XT or XTR. I try to not go below XT on anything Shimano drivetrain.

The only time I've dealt with corrosion is when I washed the bike and didn't dry and lube the chain. Or driving home in a gnarly rain storm, hitch mounted rack. Even then, it was pretty minimal and it went away after cleaning and lubing. I haven't ridden in the rain in years. At least proper rain. Ducking under some trees to let the afternoon thundershower blow by doesn't really count in my book.

Lube may be a factor. I know some local racer bros only do wax. Not sure about that. Sounds like a lot of work. ;)

Point being... maybe a "wet weather" (winter?) chain lube is better for you if you ride in the wet a lot? And at least an XT chain. It's an "investment" not an "expense" :D

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The higher end shimano chains are nickle plated and decent.

The higher end (x01 and xx1) sram chains are even better, tested independently.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
For Shimano drive train, XT or XTR. I try to not go below XT on anything Shimano drivetrain.

The only time I've dealt with corrosion is when I washed the bike and didn't dry and lube the chain. Or driving home in a gnarly rain storm, hitch mounted rack. Even then, it was pretty minimal and it went away after cleaning and lubing. I haven't ridden in the rain in years. At least proper rain. Ducking under some trees to let the afternoon thundershower blow by doesn't really count in my book.

Lube may be a factor. I know some local racer bros only do wax. Not sure about that. Sounds like a lot of work. ;)

Point being... maybe a "wet weather" (winter?) chain lube is better for you if you ride in the wet a lot? And at least an XT chain. It's an "investment" not an "expense" :D
Good point about the lube. I've been using this stuff only for this year, just seems crazy how much the chain rusted on the outside of the outer links.

Don't normally ride in the rain or at least not very often, but these were beast of rain storms. Tornado warnings were out for two of them. :rofl:

I found both x01 and xx1 for sale and will probably get one of those. Though damn, the xx1 is $125 here.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Do the non-Shimano 12s chains work correctly with the Shimano downshift-under-load ramps? Isn't the ID on Shimano 12 narrower than other 12s chains?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Do the non-Shimano 12s chains work correctly with the Shimano downshift-under-load ramps? Isn't the ID on Shimano 12 narrower than other 12s chains?
I think I have tried every possible combo of Shimano/sram 12 speed stuff and the only thing that doesn't work well is a SRAM chain on a Shimano chainring.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
My experience is that shimano 12 speed chains worked better than other brands specifically for the shifting under load--the difference was noticeable. KMC and others worked OK otherwise.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne

I thought the results of the sram chain tests were extreme durability but also a slow chain

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I think I have tried every possible combo of Shimano/sram 12 speed stuff and the only thing that doesn't work well is a SRAM chain on a Shimano chainring.
Whats it do? I currently have a Race Face steel chain ring, which they say is Shimano compatible.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
What, are you running the TDF?
Ha no but generally I try and use lowest friction components avaliable.... ntn llbs for wheel bearings and freehubs, lowest friction options for bb. Chain lube from the fast side of the friction facts test. I was waxing chains... what a pain in the ass.... I read about the chain test done by friction facts. Where it stated the sram eagle chains wore like iron but were slow.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Ha no but generally I try and use lowest friction components avaliable.... ntn llbs for wheel bearings and freehubs, lowest friction options for bb. Chain lube from the fast side of the friction facts test. I was waxing chains... what a pain in the ass.... I read about the chain test done by friction facts. Where it stated the sram eagle chains wore like iron but were slow.
I don't know if I would be worrying about this 1W difference: https://cyclingtips.com/2019/12/the-best-bicycle-chain-durability-and-efficiency-tested/

Unless you stop and clean your chain mid ride 10 times and go back to a 2x setup. Because 1x systems are really inefficient to a larger degree than chains alone.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
This is that cheap shimano chain, for what it's worth. This happened after a deluge of rain, but I lubed and dried it the best I could...the type of ride where your shoes are wet 4 days later...

Really need to order that sram chain. Or just stick with this artisanal steampunkt one??

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
This is that cheap shimano chain, for what it's worth. This happened after a deluge of rain, but I lubed and dried it the best I could...the type of ride where your shoes are wet 4 days later...

Really need to order that sram chain. Or just stick with this artisanal steampunkt one??
Good chance the actual important moving bits are caked in lube and are just fine. MTB chains are constantly sucking in filth anyway. What lube are you using? A more oil based one may be better for your environment.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria

First thing I would do is buy a proper rear tire so your chain isn't annoyed of looking at this abomination of a tire all the time and gets aggressive and finally self destructive as a result.
:D

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
That rust is 100% user error and chain lube choice rain noob

Keep it lubricated and run it until chain gauge says it wants replacement.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Fuck that.
Just keep your drivetrain cleaned and properly lubed and run the same chainring, cassette and chain from new to destruction..
That exact procedure gets me 5000+ miles on an Emtb in an actual wet climate.
0.5% wear is where 12 speed chains are recommended to be replaced and with some chains that's as little as 400 miles.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Good chance the actual important moving bits are caked in lube and are just fine. MTB chains are constantly sucking in filth anyway. What lube are you using? A more oil based one may be better for your environment.
Yeah the chain seems fine, it just looks like absolute ass.

I've been using this lube this year, thought I'd try it out. Again normally it's super dry and dusty here. Just had a few freak storms on Wednesdays, which is our friends group ride night so we go rain or shine. Maybe I lubed the chain and then just wiped too much of it off? Magnets? It was also insanely hot and humid the next few days after and it sat there festering.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
First thing I would do is buy a proper rear tire so your chain isn't annoyed of looking at this abomination of a tire all the time and gets aggressive and finally self destructive as a result.
:D
No man, have you seen the price of tires here? :D

I'll run this thing until it's dead.

I've been using this lube this year, thought I'd try it out. Again normally it's super dry and dusty here. Just had a few freak storms on Wednesdays, which is our friends group ride night so we go rain or shine. Maybe I lubed the chain and then just wiped too much of it off? Magnets? It was also insanely hot and humid the next few days after and it sat there festering.

Somehow, "ceramic particles" sound like an abrasive rather than a lubricant.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
You'd be far better using a cheap no BS wet lube that's fairly thin in consistency and not too sticky, eg. Muc Off Wet.
Preferrably applied to a (fairly) clean chain/drivetrain but still wiping off excess lube after application
Avoid any Peaty's chain lube products IME they attract a shit load of gunk to your jockey wheels in no time.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

1660403462108.png

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
In-between stuff is frustrating, like it's dry and sandy, but you have to go through a few streams or it's that one day where there's actually moisture in the desert. That sand gets in and it just GRINDS into a nasty paste. The dry lubes...all of them, they just wash off with the first real water contact IME. They are great in a dry environment (which is here in the winter), but in a wet environment, you need wet lube. The muckier it is, the goopier you need the lube. On my nastiest rides, I'll bring a little sample-size bottle of motor oil and I'll put some drops on halfway into the ride. This improves shifting and everything significantly. On the nastiest rides, even the wet stuff will need replenishment if you want your drivetrain to work well, but in most cases in the wet you don't have to go to such extremes usually. Back to the in-between, Dumonde Tech is a "Polymer-based" lubricant, I like the light version, others like the heavy version, but I find this is a decent "in between" dry and wet lubes. But when it's really wet, nothing is as good as a wet lube. That's literally what they are for. I'm not sure there's really any difference between motor oil and "mountain bike chain oil", but I digress. I'm pretty conservative with my dry lube use, I need pretty good assurance that I'm going to be able to stay "dry" on the ride...otherwise it just washes off fast.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Fancy DRY lube for wet riding?

FFS!
Did you forget to put on your spectacles and read where I said it's usually dry here?

I've ridden in the rain 3 times in the last 9 months.

The trails here are sandy so wet lube just does not work, unless you want to be literally grinding your gears. Yeah yeah I know, it works for you and you get 500000miles out of your stuff, but it's not the same here.