Quantcast

Shimano 2006

Lefty

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Megan calls me a babe.
http://singletrackworld.com/article.php?sid=1581&PHPSESSID=83e38faa65f75a8f1dd5e00e9f05388a

I haven;t seen it been posted here... so check it out.

I like that they are making a Saint rightshifter only for 2006, if it will be as good as the XTR shifters, i am willing to try one. For the purpose it has been made for.

Saint Shifter
Shimano has realised that riders may still want Shimano shifting, even if they don't use their brakes - or they may not like Dual Control levers. So they've introduced a right-hand-only Saint rear shifter. The shifter is designed to mount outboard of your brake lever, so you can run your brakes far enough inboard to allow one finger control without putting the shifter too far away.

The shifter is very sleek, with a low profile finger trigger and an overall neat shape. Saint's derailleur remains 'Low-Normal' though, so the finger trigger put you into an easier gear and the thumb paddle into a harder one.
There is one odd thing, though. There's no left hand front shifter - despite Saint (and now Hone) coming as a dual chainring chainset (though there will be a stand-alone LH front XT level shifter coming out.)

So let the e-speculation begin.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Lefty said:
http://singletrackworld.com/article.php?sid=1581&PHPSESSID=83e38faa65f75a8f1dd5e00e9f05388a

I haven;t seen it been posted here... so check it out.

I like that they are making a Saint rightshifter only for 2006, if it will be as good as the XTR shifters, i am willing to try one. For the purpose it has been made for.

Saint Shifter
Shimano has realised that riders may still want Shimano shifting, even if they don't use their brakes - or they may not like Dual Control levers. So they've introduced a right-hand-only Saint rear shifter. The shifter is designed to mount outboard of your brake lever, so you can run your brakes far enough inboard to allow one finger control without putting the shifter too far away.

The shifter is very sleek, with a low profile finger trigger and an overall neat shape. Saint's derailleur remains 'Low-Normal' though, so the finger trigger put you into an easier gear and the thumb paddle into a harder one.
There is one odd thing, though. There's no left hand front shifter - despite Saint (and now Hone) coming as a dual chainring chainset (though there will be a stand-alone LH front XT level shifter coming out.)

So let the e-speculation begin.
Wait, what about those Saint Dual Control Shifters I ordered? Did I just throw my money away?!?!?!?

jon cross

Monkey
Jan 27, 2004
Banner Elk, NC
Heck, I already run a road cassette- I should pick some of those up and rock a DuraAce rear der- that would be lighter than XTR. Of course, having seen those 10 speed chains in "action" (or is that inaction, as I saw 3 break in races last year, 1 causing a wreck) I'd rather use a rubberband than a shimano chain.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
i like how the saint dont have the lil indicator. i mean most riders have smapped theres off some way or another so thats nice. and i use a shimano 105 deraileur and cassette with a pc-59 chain and xt shifter pod(with the indicator broken off) and it works great.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Wumpus said:
New XT/XTR?

SON OF A BIT*H!!!!!
8 speed was better than 9 speed... now this 10 speed crap. I'll be spending a fortune every winter on housings alone. I always said if Shimano tried this crap that I'd be using sram... I guess thats what my next derailer/shifter combo will be.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
golgiaparatus said:
SON OF A BIT*H!!!!!
8 speed was better than 9 speed... now this 10 speed crap. I'll be spending a fortune every winter on housings alone. I always said if Shimano tried this crap that I'd be using sram... I guess thats what my next derailer/shifter combo will be.
I don't think anytime soon they'll being going to 10 sp for mountain bikes. The 10sp stuff I've heard is way too tempremental and delicate for mountain usage.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Westy said:
I wonder if they will let their disk brakes be sold separate from their shifters?
They always have. Brake caliper/rotor are sold together and dual-control or stand-alone brake lever are sold separately.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Dogboy said:
They always have. Brake caliper/rotor are sold together and dual-control or stand-alone brake lever are sold separately.

I realized that after actually reading article. I'm freakin spaced this morning.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
The Saint trigger sounds sweet. I've always wanted to run the trigger on the outside to get to the paddles easier. Now make a non-rapid rise Saint der. & I'd be happy.

Ohh and 10spd has no place on a MTB. The chain is scary skinny and the adjustment too twitchy & I think Shimano knows it.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Andyman_1970 said:
The "new" flat bar road bikes that have come out in the last year or two.
Guess I havent been paying attention. I miss a lot of new stuff when I'm not in the market for a bike. Still carving my way around the trail on an 02 bike... hell, until I break it I'm likely to miss all kinds of hot new bike industry changes.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
golgiaparatus said:
Guess I havent been paying attention. I miss a lot of new stuff when I'm not in the market for a bike. Still carving my way around the trail on an 02 bike... hell, until I break it I'm likely to miss all kinds of hot new bike industry changes.
Being a bike geek I like to stay up on stuff like that. The down side is, it's hard to not buy into the "must have the latest/greatest" mentality - however having a baby has quelled that urge quite a bit.