Quantcast

Shimano 820 brake first impresions

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
After a year and a half on avid code r brakes (and a dissappointingfew 2 years on the origina codes) I decided I wanted a change. The code r brakes had done a pretty good job, but after switching to xt trails on the am bike felt wooden, with no modulation.

The install was straight forward. The look and finish is impressive. I went with xt ice tech ro tors with 180mm rear and 203mm front. The lever travel is a little longer than the xt brakes on the enduro. I have only a little parking lot brake in time and a 4 mile dh run so far. Much like my xt brakes modulation is notably better than any avid I've tried. The power isn't fully there yet, but impressive. Hand power is minimal too. I can't comment on fade yet, i didn't brake a lot. Cold springs trail is flattish compared to a lot of tracks. I'm eager to get some faster, steeper stuff soon.

UncleHowie

Chimp
Feb 9, 2011
Switzerland
Just changed from old 2009 Formula The One's to the new Saint M820, I'm going to test mine the first time tomorrow. But they're already impressive in the parking lot.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Update: Tried bleeding them again to shorten the lever throw. I tried using the same procedure as the 785/985 brakes and had no improvement. In desperation I removed the bleed block, cycled the lever a few times and topped off the fluid. The result was just what I hoped for, nice short lever throw like my xt brakes. I have not had a chance to ride since then, but hopefully everything works out.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I had to do that every few weeks as per this post to keep mine engaging at a reasonable distance from the bar. Let us know if it lasts for you.

Freeridin'

Monkey
Oct 23, 2006
Colorado
I had to do that every few weeks as per this post to keep mine engaging at a reasonable distance from the bar. Let us know if it lasts for you.
Same for me. Even worse though is a noticeable leak around the master cylinder...brake fluid literally dripping down the inside of the lever. However, once the bleed returns to "stock," the leaking slows. I've warrantied way too Saint levers for this very reason.

Last edited:

dublindh

Chimp
Jun 22, 2008
Update: Tried bleeding them again to shorten the lever throw. I tried using the same procedure as the 785/985 brakes and had no improvement. In desperation I removed the bleed block, cycled the lever a few times and topped off the fluid. The result was just what I hoped for, nice short lever throw like my xt brakes. I have not had a chance to ride since then, but hopefully everything works out.
have had the m820's since the start of the summer and initially had some minor issues with them. biggest mistake i made was not bleeding them after cutting the hoses, they were fine for first few rides then began to pull to the bar. the nature of the new shimano levers means they require a good bit more work then previous generations. had the m810s for 2 years and loved them. bled once one change of pads.

best thing you can do is invest in one of these http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-SM-DISC-BP-Funnel-Tool-Stopper/dp/B005G0BG70

should be available from any decent bike shop and for the price you pay its money very well spent. all you have to do is remove the bleed bolt then screw on the pot then fill it up with mineral oil and pump the air out of the system.works a treat.solved the issues i was having with my m820's and is 100% compatible with all new generation levers. the funnel makes bleeding even more fool proof then bleeding the m810s